What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found out an old friend has the same muzzy as myself that he bought before the previous season. All excited we start talking about getting out to do some sighting in. He then starts bragging about his scope which I insist on seeing. Upon receiving the weapon for inspection the first thing I noticed wasn't the very large bright silver scope on top but the thick scaly rust all over the hammer. One year old remember. After exposing the breech plug and failing to be able to open it. Eying the large amounts of rust and carbon over the hinge and firing pin I asked him. You ever clean this thing. No he replied. After him showing me more of his extensive collection It was clear he doesn't clean his centerfires so why would he clean the muzzy. It was good for me to see first hand. Wish I had pictures.

I hit the club this morning. We cannot shoot until 9am so I set up targets and made myself a nest on the bench to pass time. The first target was at 50 yards for the pistol First shot was in the bull, clean, I fouled barrel. 63 weighed grains of BH209 under a plain green sabot and a 225 grain, .429, Barnes XPB. W209 primer.pic with one hole.

The pic with the two orange target dots is from 100 yards using the Patriot .45. 56 grains of IMR4198 under a plain blue sabot. Winnie primers again. The upper left dot was three shots using the 195 grain,.40 cal Barnes Expander. The low flyer is due to a bee sting. The three shots in the black are from Fury,225 grain,.40 Star Tips. The wind ramped up about the second of those three shots so I shut the shooting down. The target used for the Patriot had a couple holes from 180 and 200 grain XTPs. I’m not hunting the XTPs but wanted to see how the wind was going to affect them and it’s clear that the Fury and Barnes have much better wind resistance.

It was a good session even if short. About the time the wind got obnoxious some yak with a platform gun came out and laid his ground cloth to the side of the benches I was on and about 10 yards forward of my muzzle. So I basically had to stop shooting. I have his license number and a pic of his location to where I was set up and he’s been reported to the club higher ups.

Attachments

• IMG_1459.jpeg
    IMG_1459.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1460.jpeg
    IMG_1460.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Been wondering for a while why the sister site has a popular thread by this title and we don’t, so…

What muzzleloading-related stuff did you do today?
I picked up a Zoli Zouave 58 caliber at a local gun show. Took it apart and cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned. Worked some linseed oil into the the wood stock, removed a little rust off the bottom side of barrel and tang, scrubbed the lock with Kroil, and oiled the leather shoulder strap. The barrel had a little rust inside so I scrubbed it until it shined bright. Will
Put back together in a day or so and post pics

Took my Moutaineer out this morning and sighted in the new scope. Posted a thread on this earlier. Just got done melting down some roofing lead to remove all the tar and contaminants and poured it into the ingot mould..

Wasps were thick yesterday. The sucker that got me was on my arm, just under the short sleeve. I wasn't aware of anything until I was just ready to shoot, then I felt the stick but was already pressuring the trigger.

There was a nest off to the other side of the canopy. Noone mentioned issues with wasps on a club website. I'm sure the concussion from shooting stirred them up but never really noticed anything until I felt the stick and then it was too late.

Recieved a shipment today from Blue Collar Reloading. 195 gr Barnes. Should have a few carbide bushings coming. Still undecided what combo I’m gonna shoot yet since all bullet powder combos shot respectable. Last week I was strictly shooting @ 200 yards and the fury 240 grain .401 was exceptional.

Had to change out the bushing in the woodman plug today. Had 468 shots on it 55 to 59 grain H4198 charges. It was carbide. Might not show it had 2 cracks looked like a 90 degree corner.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpeg
    IMG_0721.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I had right at 500 on the first one I'm going to start taking a look at them at around 350 or 400 rounds I guess that's pretty good if you think about it

I had right at 500 on the first one I'm going to start taking a look at them at around 350 or 400 rounds I guess that's pretty good if you think about it
Rodger that, I’m not gonna complain. The cracks were pretty noticeable when I removed the plug.

My Under-Hammer is at my Gun Smiths shop. He is D&T both .40 barrels. Setting the BP putting the underlugs n thimbles on barrels. The 1:48 will get the Ace in the Hole mount n peep set-up. The 1:24 Hoyt barrel will get the Marlin 336 flat top mount. I will put my Bushnell Elite 1.5x6 #4 Reticle on it. The smaller 13/16" 1:48 will get my 4x12 Simmons AO scope on it for tree rats. Hey my eyes are not even close to what they were 40 years ago.

Latest posts

Back