What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a full detail cleaning of my Brux Omega getting ready for my final shooting this week and leave it alone till after the season. So I just happen to come up with something for setting the primer crush. The pic is crude but I think you’ll get it. Anyway a razor knife blade seemed perfect. I have always used a straight edge of some sort but still needed a tweak. So the notches on the blade will straddle the primer and touch the center of the primer. With it touching center of primer I just adjusted till outside of blade hit barrel. The outer rim of primer is flared out a bit. Seemed to work for my application. No more pre crushing primers for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Finally got out for my first day of ever shooting a muzzy. Have to say it was a lot of fun. And eye opening. I now understand everything a bit more what I've been reading about here for the last two months. Shot pellets, white hots, to sight in as I bought two boxes early on. Also have blackhorn and triple 7 ffg. I will definitely be stocking up on blackhorn and switching to blackhorn for my final load out session next week in between the kids hunts during youth season next weekend. Crud rings, dirty, inconsistencies, breech plug o rings, loading pressure changes with dirty barrel, waiting for the smoke to clear, horrible factory ramrod. But tbh I loved it even with those. And I'm very happy with the weapon in general..

Anyways the sight in went well. Could only get to 75yrds in the backyard but managed a 1in spread with 2 pellets and 250gr sst's which for starting out I was happy with. Thanks to all the community here.

I cast some .22 lr bullets for some black powder loads I'm going to shoot out of my lee shavers insert for my sharps rifle. I had a 24" but didn't like the 6" of exposed barrel so I had him make the custom 30". I should get it in the next week or so. I bought some of those cutting edge 22lr load your own kits but want to use black powder and lead bullets instead of the bullets it comes with although I would like to see how they shoot I'll have to ask Lee if they would damage the barrel or wear it out prematurely ?

Does anyone here have any experience with a Ferguson Rifle? I know it's not a front stuffer, but it's definitely in the time frame.

I was using an O ring in primer pocket for my Optima V2 and sometimes if I opened the breach before firing the primer would fall out if I was not careful. I decided to remove O ring from primer pocket and make proper adjustment of the firing pin bushing which was almost recessed . After final adjustment I have a .006 crush on primers and the primer stays in the pocket.

I finally pulled the trigger on ordering a cpl 24pks of Barnes .40 195g Expanders a cpl days ago. They arrived just before supper today.
I've already separated them from the MMP sabots so I can put them in LBCR's. Weather permitting, I'll be at my range tomorrow. I'm really excited to finally get to shoot these bullets. They ought to do well at 2450fps or so. I'm hoping its my new deer huntin bullet.

I finally pulled the trigger on ordering a cpl 24pks of Barnes .40 195g Expanders a cpl days ago. They arrived just before supper today.
I've already separated them from the MMP sabots so I can put them in LBCR's. Weather permitting, I'll be at my range tomorrow. I'm really excited to finally get to shoot these bullets. They ought to do well at 2450fps or so. I'm hoping its my new deer huntin bullet.
Great bullets!

Latest posts

Back