What to buy ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the barrel pete. The st louis hawken is just as good, if not better IMO. Lord knows ive owned all of them and shot them all lol.

I don't agree, but won't debate it. Not that important. He already bought a gun.

Have not bought anything yet.
Just put one on hold.
The CVA is pretty expensive, want to stay about $400 right now.
The Traditions kit is under $300 otd.

No problem. You bought a GPR and thought you were going to spend around that much again.

The CVA is high, but it might be negotiable. If not, it's too high.

That CVA does look nice and I like the slower twist, just wanted to stay a bit less expensive.
I might call to see if they will go $550
But I do like building my own stuff as well.

It's way to much imo. That traditions will shoot just as good, but most importantly, it has lock parts that are still made. The older mtn rifles have different sears and tumblers which are impossible to find.

So are the locks in TC sidelocks now.  At least the CVA Mountain rifle looks like a Hawken. Locks can be changed.

IMHO from owning, shooting and handling CVA - Mountain Rifle and Reg Hawken, TC Renegade and Hawken, Investarm Hawken and Great Plains, I can't tell any difference in the quality of the rifles. All are very sound rifles.  There are lots of differences in forward muzzle weight depending on barrels.  The one I like the best is my Investarm .58 cal with the 15/16" across the flats barrel.  Comfortable to shoot.  I haven't owned a Traditions Hawken but I strongly suspect it would be the same as the above rifles.  It really boils down to personal choice of the shooter.

If you enjoy putting a rifle together go for it. Time consuming if you want to get out and shoot though.

The only issue I have with the CVA's and the T/C's is they are not local and I would have 
to buy sight unseen. That has not worked out so well for me in the past.
The ones local that I have found are way to pricey for the condition.
The only real nice rifle local is a brand new Pederosoli for $400, these sell for $600 new
at Cabelas.

Nothing wrong with a Pedersoli.  I've never heard anyone complain about them.  $400 seems like a good buy too!

Back