What's the reaL STORY?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By searching through Google I'm only finding one dealer for the KIK Powder and that is Powderinc.  They're only showing 1f and 1.5f so they may well be out of business.  I've had my can of 2f for several years.

Rick N Bama said:
By searching through Google I'm only finding one dealer for the KIK Powder and that is Powderinc.  They're only showing 1f and 1.5f so they may well be out of business.  I've had my can of 2f for several years.
Like I said, I've never heard of them. Maybe they ARE out of business? I'd think that if they were still around, SOMEONE would be advertising their powder on one of the websites?
Stoney

No Dave, 

They are not out of business been around as long as you or longer using several different names throughout the year.

KIK-1fg-Black-Powder-1.jpg

Rick N Bama said:
Look at these places that handle KIK and most of the other brands.

https://nortonsafe.search.ask.com/web?q=history+of+KIK+Black+Powder&o=APN11908&chn=1000&guid=87C38451-17DF-44D1-9B9B-6DE396733C79&doi=2016-12-18&ver=22.8.1.14&prt=NSBU&geo=US&locale=en_US

See New Topic In the Powder Room

"Some of the old black powder companies are still around...."

In this test, KIK brand black powder produced higher velocities than the same volume of both Goex and Elephant black powder in all four test guns. The average velocity produced by KIK brand black powder was 12.4% faster than that produced by the same volume of Goex, and 14.3% faster than that produced by the same volume of Elephant brand. Elephant brand black powder produced lower velocities than either of the other two powders in all 4 guns.

Interesting, have to try KIK out, what do you think Pete.

I think they're out of business. Goex was involved with it. What's being sold is leftover stock and it's going fast. A lot of your links are old. One of them showed Goex in metal cans.

Buck Conner said:
No Dave, 

They are not out of business been around as long as you or longer using several different names throughout the year.

KIK-1fg-Black-Powder-1.jpg

Thanks Buck
 I never heard of these folks.  WOW... that bottle looks EXATCTLY like my Graf's bottle? I have a new knife to show you. If it ever stops raining long enough to go out for pics.
 I just sent a write up to Jonathan about what we discussed. Might be great, might blow up in my face? Only time will tell.
Dave

Background.
In June of 1997, GOEX, Inc. closed the Moosic, PA black powder plant that they had operated since 1972.Construction had previously started on a new plant near Minden, Louisiana.
Start up of the new plant was delayed until March of 1998.So there was a period of about 8 months where GOEX was out of production.
Through contacts with the Swiss black powder plant, management from GOEX was introduced to the management of a black powder production facility in Slovenia.GOEX then began to purchase black powder from the plant in Slovenia for importation into the U.S.
Known as KIK D.D. According to a powder can. KIK Kamnik d.d., Fuzine 9 1240 Kamnik Slovenia - Europe
This plant is no longer in operation. (2009)
This company being part of Kemijska industrija Kamnik d.d.
The black powder plant dating its origin back to 1852.

This paper had been prepared in 2002. After GOEX brought in the container of KIK “rifle “powder in May of 2000 that appeared to be the end of GOEX’s relationship with the powder plant in Slovenia. Which proved to be the case. But in importing the KIK powder into the U.S. GOEX set the stage for something that would cost them some of their profits. GOEX had long supplied Estes Industries with black powder for use in model rocket motors. GOEX claims that all of the black powder they had imported from KIK, in Slovenia, had been sold to fireworks powder customers. No doubt Estes had been shipped KIK powder while GOEX was trying to get the black powder plant near Minden, LA up and running. In 2002 we again see containers of KIK made black powder arriving in the U.S. and Estes was not the only company importing it. 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 None entered the U.S. from Slovenia. November June May August November January January April 33,000 pounds at $2.85 per pound, landed duty paid value. 34,375 pounds at $2.88 per pound, landed duty paid value. 34,375 pounds at $2.67 per pound, landed duty paid value. 34,045 pounds at $2.76 per pound, landed duty paid value. 29,414 pounds at $3.54 per pound, landed duty paid value. 34,375 pounds at $2.49 per pound, landed duty paid value. 36,401 pounds at $2.54 per pound, landed duty paid value. 23,971 pounds at $4.00 per pound, landed duty paid value. The November 2004 container and the April 2007 container were imported by Western Powder Company. One of GOEX’s master distributors. These two containers were rifle powder packed in tin cans at the KIK plant. The other containers represent bulk packaged powder ordered by Estes Industries for in-house use in model rocket motors. The January 2006 shipment to Estes was their last order to the KIK plant in Slovenia. GOEX recovered that business by lowering the price of their powder to Estes Industries. In the data we see a pattern. GOEX brought in the container of KIK rifle powder in 2000. Western Powder brings in a container in 2004 and then again in 2007. When it takes you 3 to 4 years to sell a container of black powder to black powder shooters it does not speak highly of that particular powder. Especially when one considers that it is sold at a price below that of GOEX powder. 16

Western Powder was the maker of Green River Black Powder until they blowup in Roosevelt Utah. Their plant was on the corner of Doc White's acreage.

I was at a gun shop a few months ago and picked a few can's (new style label) in tin cans. I asked how old it was - just arrive from the dist. in KS (have seen it in both tin and the plastic containers in the last few years at gun shows too).  This is like most of the black powder wares anymore, you never know if its old stock or new and the store doesn't care - sell the item - bottom line.

I just asked 'Powder, Inc.' if they still have KIK powder available, lets see what their answer is?

I'm not for sure it's gone Buck. I find it strange that nobody is selling it that has 2F or 3F in stock.

It seems that all we can buy is 1F or cannon. That would be the last of it to go. I'm open to be wrong. Maybe not out of business but not bringing it to the US anymore.

OldMtnMan said:
I'm not for sure it's gone Buck. I find it strange that nobody is selling it that has 2F or 3F in stock.

It seems that all we can buy is 1F or cannon. That would be the last of it to go. I'm open to be wrong. Maybe not out of business but not bringing it to the US anymore.
Boy, bringing anything in that goes 'bang' is getting questionable with Donald in charge.....

Howdy Folks

I'd like to say thanks to all the fine members who voiced their valuable opinions on my powder question.  :Red tup: I'm happy to report that the rifle worked like a dream with 3FFF in the barrel AND the pan. The 3FFF even passed easily through the valve of the priming flask that I got him. Doc was sighting in yesterday for the Flintlock ONLY season here in PA. which I think starts next Saturday? Anyway... I had him shooting a 4 inch bull at 75 yards. He fired 5 shots in all. Each one tore the edge of the bull from the first shot on.  :ttups: Since he's not used to Black Powder, I believe he did very well, even though he was all around it. I figure with a few more practice sessions, the nerves will settle down and he'll be fine? Any one of those shots (at that distance) would down a PA. White tail.
 We were shooting at my Brother in law's place in the country. The back stop board was a triangular shaped piece of 1 inch thick plywood about 1 foot high and 2 feet wide on a stake about 3 feet above the ground with a 8-1/2" by 11" shoot-n-see target on it. My BIL (who is an excellent shot) said "Hell... if I could hit that board at this range I'd call it good enough."
 We were both surprised and pleased at how fast that 3FFF ignited. I told him to expect a slight delay!, MAN was I ever wrong!!!! It shocked both of us! It was just Click, BANG!!!!  :shock:  NO hesitation at all. I've never seen BP go off that fast in a flintlock!! My sniper rifle isn't any faster than that!
 Anyway... thanks again guys...(and gals). I always know where to go when I need questions answered!
 I'm working on some small patch knives, and powder horns for the store. Hopefully sales will improve this year?
God bless:
Stoney

Yes, it works better than 2F for main charge and 4F in the pan. I compared the two and 3F for both seemed faster and so much easier to just buy one powder.

OldMtnMan said:
Yes, it works better than 2F for main charge and 4F in the pan. I compared the two and 3F for both seemed faster and so much easier to just buy one powder.
Pete
 I have to agree with you all around. I never had 2FF ignite like that, and in the pan the ignition was almost instantaneous! I love the idea of only having to mess with one powder AND if you ever lost your priming horn you're not screwed, you still have pan powder too.
Stoney

A lot of guys use just the main powder horn as i'm sure you know. I never like it as much as a small priming horn. I always put in too much with the big horn. Then I had to fiddle with removing some of it.

OldMtnMan said:
A lot of guys use just the main powder horn as i'm sure you know. I never like it as much as a small priming horn. I always put in too much with the big horn. Then I had to fiddle with removing some of it.
Pete
 Thank you for the reply.
 I have a small all Black Priming horn with a 1 grain valve ( not period correct I know), but I LOVE it! It's loaded up with 4FFFF and that works great, but if I ever run out????? I'm afraid that the 3FFF wont feed through that valve? I know it fed through the bigger 3 grain valve that I put on Doc's primer, but I think it could feed better? It took about 3 plunges to get the pan where I wanted it, but it DID work!
 I have 5 powder horns here on the go right now and 2 priming horns. It's getting messy in my shop, and I haven't even started on my new knives yet. I'm going to do a few 2 inch bladed patch knives. My bigger knives aren't selling and I have a box full of them here. That's why the 10% off sale until Halloween. I was hoping to "cash in" on some pre-Christmas sales, but it isn't looking great? Thanks again.
God bless buddy:
Stoney

Latest posts

Back