Which percussion caps?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Traditions Buckstalker rifle at one time. It had the 209 breech plug.
That was a good shooting rifle.
Mine liked 90 grains by volume of BH209 with the Thompson Center maxi hunter bullets in 275 grains.

I have owned 3 traditions in the past and all shot great with triple 7 pellets.I want this gun to set up with open sights and a heavy bullet for 100 yards, for thick swamp areas and for moose hunting in thicker areas up north. I also want a different challenge other than 209's and pellets,so I really do hope I can locate musket caps shortly. I will until then just purchase the conversion kit and enjoy the new setup.

I picked gun up and then went for dinner.It was the last one he had,I am pretty happy to get it,seeing as I couldn't find a "northwest" one for months. It's short,compact and perfect for what I want it for. I will probably order the conversion kit this weekend or Monday and go from there, for now.

Just purchased another tc triumph this afternoon,red dot,sling and a lot of extras,gun barely used. That is 2 triumphs I have found the last 2 weeks in mint shape,I bought both.This one is camo/stainless, the other is black/stainless,came with a nikon 2x7-35 with ballistic plex,leupold base,rings and a butler creek sling and lots of extras.. I had the bone collector one I bought in 2009 but I let it go 5-6 years ago.

The "northwest" is as old school as I am interested in going.I'll leave the old school rifles for the others. I have been using a .50 cal during rifle deer season for 20 years,my father for longer than that.One hot.One kill. Just like bow hunting.

The traditions has a chromoly/cerakoted barrel and the tc's are a "weather shield". It does not mean a thing either way too me as I look after my equipment and up here,its freezing rain,snowing from start of November until end of December which covers our rifle and muzzleloader seasons for deer and our moose season,Its raining daily in the north country. I have never had any issues with my loads,or barrels hunting in our weather.I just look after my stuff and take all the precautions I can................👍

I am going to test out some Barnes, and some pr bullets out of the new tc triumph and will be switching the red dot out for a Bushnell trophy 3x9-40 I have here. I have a few hundred bullets already for a few other guns but I have yet to test any Barnes and wanted to try out some Canadian bullets in the Pr's, they seem to get great reviews.

I decided to set the traditions up with a bushnell 1.5-4.5x32 with warne quick detach "extra high" rings so that I can shoot fiber optics and a scope. I have not got around to ordering the conversion kit,there is 5 in stock so I am in no rush. It will be a few weeks yet before I dial everything in for season.I can't believe how dead this forum is, slow as molasses.

I have my buckstalker switched over to 209 primers and Its sighted in and shooting great. I recently received an email that these are in stock fin aly. I assume these will work? Rws 1081 #11

Ill order some for teating and for next season as my season starts nov 28 and I wont change.

Thanks for any info

Attachments

• rws-no1081-cap.jpg
    rws-no1081-cap.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 5
Back