which reloading press?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john 800

Reaction score
I am looking to get into reloading, I will load a few rifle calibers, 270 win, 22-250 and I would like to own a .223 soon :D

I dont really want to start out with a progressive machine because I dont think I will go through enough rounds to justify it, I would rather be able to chaqnge loads and calibers quickly. The lee sngle stage presses I was looking at online had some coupler the die threaded into to switch without re-adjusting them, but my question is: Is this really as slick as it looks? The dillon turret press looks nice but a bit pricey. any recomendations for a press or a kit?

I bought an RCBS Rockchucker 30 or 40 years ago and have not even come close to wearing it out after many thousands of rounds. Never had a bit of trouble with it.

I agree....go Rock Chucker.
They are very reliable and easy to use.

I agree to go single stage & at the most a 'turret' type of sorts. RCBS would be great, as others. I do have a fair amount of Lee stuff, but no Lee press. I don't have a problem with Lee dies & other tools. Just get the essentials to start & you can add a tool or 2 as you need them. I'd get a manual pronto & start reading to build up your knowledge. Some of my favorites are Sierra, the newest Speer, then maybe Lyman & Hornady. I have many of them & use Hodgdon & Ramshot powders the most.

+1 for RCBS. I was given an RCBS RS5 that was missing the retainer pin for the shell casing holder and a primer tray. I called RCBS to order the parts and they would have no parts of that. They simply took down my name and address and shipped out the needed parts for free!

Thanks guys as far as manuals I like the caliber specific ones, especaqily being that I only load a few common calibers.
Has anyone looked at the lee die coupler parts? That is a feature I would kind of like.

RCBS all the way. You can buy used dies with missing parts on Ebay and they will send you what you need free of charge. They back up their equipment like REAL MEN. I Like some of the features better on Hornady dies ,but ( this may be ancedotal) every caliber I load with them has case issues. RCBS- they are bulletproof. The only way you could damage a Rockchucker is if it fell out of your open tailgate while driving down the road.

You might want to look at the Forster Co-Ax press. The ease of changing the dies are just one of the features that sold me on this press.

I have a Rockchucker I've had for 15 years or more and not one problem. with it . That said, If I was gonna get one now I 'd give the LEE classic cast a very hard look.

Well I am going to cast a different vote. I like rcbs reloading equipment and was intent on buying a rockchucker when I went to upgrade from my Lee's Challenger single stage press until I checked out the Lee Classic. The Classic is every bit as heavily made as the rock chucker and more economical. It is all iron with no aluminum like the Lee Challenger. Stay away from the Lee Challenger. I had one and it flexed and would not give me good case sizing when I FLS.

RCBS is the workhorse of the industry...you can do it with other equipment, but for what you asking, the RCBS is the way to go...don't get too excited with the slide in and out die systems...it saves you 18 seconds....

You will be using the same dies with the same press...so you set the dies up...lock them in with the ring and set screw and they are adjusted...Its all the same process, even with the coupler systems...

The old/screw style systems do not require you to un adjust or re-adjust your dies everytime they are removed from the press. And if you do change bullets of shell holders or...you will have to re-adjust your dies no matter what system of die holder press you have.

The difference is how they go into the press...the RCBS or other old systems screw the die into the press...takes 20 seconds...the coupler slides the die into a holder that holds the lock ring of the die...takes 2 seconds...so you are saving 18 seconds...not enough to worry with, and the trade off is the strength of the way the die is held in the press...yes its a small difference, but give me strength over 18 seconds of time saving any day of the week.

Just saying that the coupler systems are an answer to a problem that doesn't exist...so you shouldn't base your decision on that.

Welcome to the world or re-loading...go slow, be sure and be safe

Back