Why In-Line Muzzleloaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for general discussion and my edification, why do Muzzleloading enthusiasts use an in-line?
To me, it's no different than using a modern one-shot cartridge rifle. I live in Pennsylvania and true Muzzleloader Season still requires a Flintlock with open sights. I wholely embrace this. This is what muzzleloading is all about.

So please let me know why you prefer an inline and scoped rifles. I really want to understand.

To be clear, I bought a T/C Impact SB, because T/C stopped making rifles and I wanted a quality rifle at a low cost. I never shot it.
For me, our season is a deer management season. Another chance to get a deer. Also I believe less chance of wounding. I like the ease of cleaning. If you like the nostalgia of old more power to you but not everybody wants this. If your season is designated as primitive arms how primitive? Back to long bows or spears? Wheelock?

In my neck of the woods, most people started using in lines simply to take advantage of the two weeks of extra hunting. Inlines are more accurate further out then most sidelocks for more people.

You say you live in PA, same as me. I assume you're aware of an early muzzleloader season where inlines are allowed? Both deer and bear are legal game during that week. As for me why an inline I guess its just another toy to try to master. Like others have said its working up a load that is the fun part. And, except for the few individuals that shoot them and practice them at incredibly long ranges, the in line muzzleloader is still a relatively short range firearm.
Technology is continually advancing. I have many rifles in my safes. Some that are capable of shooting the gnats off a flies butt at 100 yards but lately more often then not I find myself grabbing an old Winchester or Marlin lever action in an ancient chambering like 30-30 or 45-70 to hunt with. Someone might say "why a lever action?" And that is the point - different strokes for different folks.

You say you live in PA, same as me. I assume you're aware of an early muzzleloader season where inlines are allowed? Both deer and bear are legal game during that week. As for me why an inline I guess its just another toy to try to master. Like others have said its working up a load that is the fun part. And, except for the few individuals that shoot them and practice them at incredibly long ranges, the in line muzzleloader is still a relatively short range firearm.
Technology is continually advancing. I have many rifles in my safes. Some that are capable of shooting the gnats off a flies butt at 100 yards but lately more often then not I find myself grabbing an old Winchester or Marlin lever action in an ancient chambering like 30-30 or 45-70 to hunt with. Someone might say "why a lever action?" And that is the point - different strokes for different folks.
Could not be any clearer than this.

A muzzleloader is, by definition, an archaic firearm.
That my friend is where you are mistaken. By definition a muzzleloader is a firearm that must be loaded (powder and projectile) from the muzzle. There is nothing archaic about a muzzleloader today. The barrels you can get for your caplock or flintlock can be top notch and capable of MOA accuracy. The locks for same are even better quality than they were years ago. A well tuned flintlock or percussion rifle is no less capable of taking game at 100 yards or so as any inline muzzleloader or centerfire rifle. Archaic - not a chance.

I used to hunt with side hammer Caprock and while living in PA I acquired 2 flintlock that I hunted with and both were a lot more expensive than any inline I know of. My favorite was the 60 cal fowler. With no rear sights and a smooth bore that was a very challenging endeavor. But I managed to taker a few deer with it. That was then, now is 15 years later and at 79 with eyes that aren't the best I find no joy attempting the same thing. I moved to VA where hunting regs allow me to still experience my favorite pastime using an inline to enjoy making smoke.

I know that PA has changed their game regs and now allow inlines with all the bells and whistles in the early muzzleload season but kept the "flintlock, patched round ball, open sights" limitations for the late muzzleload season. Seems even PA is trying to accommodate both worlds!

I own a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. I haul things in the bed that I wouldn't want inside the cab, and I tow around 6k-9k trailers with it. Since that is my needs and interests, everyone who drives a car or SUV is clueless, right? Bought a Prius? An EV?, Pshhh, why would you get something that limits you so much?

I like a 22-250 for varmint hunting, if you use a .223 I don't get it.
I like a 25/06 for deer hunting, if you use a 7mm/08 I don't get it.
I like a compound bow for hunting, if you use a crossbow I don't get it. (I avert my eyes when I encounter a recurve shooter).
I like a sidelock muzzleloader for hunting, if you use an in-line I don't get it. (Again, avert eyes at Flinters. I actually bow to match-locks).

I got into muzzleloaders because I could reach out farther than my slug gun. I live and hunt in a zone that didn't allow centerfire rifles for deer (until recently... and then only some straight wall cartridges like the 450 Bushmaster & 350 Legend). It was clear that the best most reliable weapon (before straight wall cartridges) was an inline muzzle loader with a scope.

So my purpose was very utilitarian: reach out reliably and kill deer. The fact that I could use the same gun into the later muzzle loader only season was a plus.

Then I lived in and hunted another state that let me hunt a couple of weeks earlier than the rifle only hunters... so I used the same muzzleloader to kill deer.

Then I lived near and hunted on a military base that would allow only slugs, buckshot, & muzzle loaders on base for hunting.

So my whole life there's been nitches and restrictions that promoted muzzle loading as the most effective means to harvest deer. My Remington 700 MLS with our 209 system is so much better than a side lock, its not worth discussing.

A better question is why wouldn't someone want to leverage the simplest & best methods that are legal?

Last edited:
I got into muzzleloaders because I could reach out farther than my slug gun. I live and hunt in a zone that didn't allow centerfire rifles for deer (until recently... and then only some straight wall cartridges like the 450 Bushmaster & 350 Legend). It was clear that the best most reliable weapon (before straight wall cartridges) was an inline muzzle loader with a scope.

So my purpose was very utilitarian: reach out reliably and kill deer. The fact that I could use the same gun into the later muzzle loader season was a plus.

Then I lived and hunted another state that let me hunt a couple of weeks earlier than the rifle only hunters... so I used the same muzzleloader to kill deer.

Then I lived near and hunted on a military base that would allow only slugs, buckshot, & muzzle loaders on base for hunting.

So my whole life there's been nitches and restrictions that promoted muzzle loading as the most effective means to harvest deer. My Remington 700 MLS with our 209 system is so much better than a side lock, its not worth discussing.

A better question is why wouldn't someone want to leverage the simplest & best methods that are legal?
I agree..

Because there's a group of people that that feel doing something "the hard way" makes them superior in some way. They're so good at hunting that they have to find a way to handicap themselves and yet despite the chosen handicap can still accomplish the same thing you did using your "easy" method. And if you don't ask questions like "why do you use an inline?" then you don't have a way to use passive-aggressive statements to tell people they're inferior.
Obviously.

Attachments

• 500 gr 458.jpg
    500 gr 458.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
All I received on here as to why anyone uses an in-line, is they want modern technology. That doesn't make any sense to me. A muzzleloader is, by definition, an archaic firearm. So, if people want to mix an archaic firearm with modern technology, that's OK with me, I am not judging. I'm trying to understand. If you felt judged, I'm sorry you felt that way. I'm not used to people being so easily put off.

As far as politics & religion, they are my own beliefs and have no tie-in to this forum. I'm not sure why you brought that up. Unless you're trolling...
I understand that you do not understand ,so I assume you want to learn something beyond your limited
experience . . Congrats on your choice (a good one ) and then you go and lecture long time shooters with (LOADS) of info and experience that you need to know and screw it up big time by above statement . If you view the comments responding they all have a common theme ,not off putting just ( great) here's another know it all and doesn't understand . I take it back ,this just might not be the place for you / Ed

Just for general discussion and my edification, why do Muzzleloading enthusiasts use an in-line?
To me, it's no different than using a modern one-shot cartridge rifle. I live in Pennsylvania and true Muzzleloader Season still requires a Flintlock with open sights. I wholely embrace this. This is what muzzleloading is all about.

So please let me know why you prefer an inline and scoped rifles. I really want to understand.

To be clear, I bought a T/C Impact SB, because T/C stopped making rifles and I wanted a quality rifle at a low cost. I never shot it.
I got in to muzzleloader shooting as my kids Bought me a TC percussion kit for Christmas in about 1990. I hunted briefly with it, Got a couple of deer and then stopped, but still stayed interested in the mechanics of muzzleloader hunting though I didn't pursue it. Retired in 05 and purchased a flintlock for the challenge. I suppose that's the reason I do it, i.e. archery hunted for over 40 years, not for the game but for the challenge and I surely understand the limitations put on archery if you want to hunt the archery season. Last year, Montana finally came up with a muzzleloader season as they already had muzzleloader areas that were considered muzzleloader, archery, or shotgun and the muzzleloaders were limited to caliber size, and design. It's fine with me if you want an in-line muzzleloader but a primitive muzzleloader season shouldn't allow It to be used there, but all other seasons are perfectly fine. The vast majority of us do not need the meat, even though I hope we don't waste it but do utilize it. I see enough wasted deer in our dump sites to know that most hunters are NOT hungry and the bone out job they do is ridiculous. Special muzzleloader seasons and areas I just what they say. I hobble myself because deer are too easy to kill. you do your own thing, I do mine.
Squint

They also allow average shooters to shoot great, and great shooter to shoot amazingly. Any improvement or technological advancement that helps anyone shoot better is something I would take advantage of. If I were to give a modern inline scoped smokeless powder shooting tack driver to a deer hunter 250 years ago, would he turn it down because it wasnt fair? Would he say it wasnt worth the advantage to make more ethical kills and more easily feed his family? I do not understand the mentality that even questions why someone chooses the way they do.
I know you said you arent judging the choice of guns and optics, but it does kinda sound like youre judging. You said you havent made up your mind but you also said you had made it up in no uncertain terms…

That sounds like a pretty much decided mind to me. Does PA call it “TRUE Muzzleloader Season”? Or just ML season or primitive weapons season? I used to belong to the traditional muzzleloader forum but had to leave because of that kind of passive aggressive, judgmental attitude that is so prevalent among those who dont want to shoot anything besides flintlocks or sidelocks. I have several sidelocks and love shooting them. I also love customizing them and modernizing them.
Here on The MODERN MUZZLELOADER forum we do not judge anyone for the gun, bullet, powder, or sights they use. We also dont allow political discussion either. I guess what im trying to get at is what you're doing and saying sounds a bit like trolling. I don't mean to offend you, i haven't really decided that you are wrong, I'm just looking for my own edification.
btw ive spent a lot of time and money making my side lock capable of shooting a flies balls off at 300yards because im no idaho lewis.

I understand that you do not understand ,so I assume you want to learn something beyond your limited
experience . . Congrats on your choice (a good one ) and then you go and lecture long time shooters with (LOADS) of info and experience that you need to know and screw it up big time by above statement . If you view the comments responding they all have a common theme ,not off putting just ( great) here's another know it all and doesn't understand . I take it back ,this just might not be the place for you / Ed
I have 40 years of experience with Muzzleloaders. Although I no longer compete, I have experience shooting competition with with the North/South Skirmish Assn. I own over 20 sidelocks. Some were made purely for competition.
What I don't have, is experience with In-Lines. I never understood the fad or why Smith & Wesson took T/C and destroyed the company by going all in with In-Lines. To understand this, I need to know why shooters chose an in-line over a side lock in the first place. Unfortunately, people thought I was judging them. And maybe you are correct, maybe I don't belong here. I don't have the patience with thin skinned people who judge me without understanding what I'm trying to do.

Latest posts

Back