Will sidelocks make a comeback?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think sidelocks are coming back?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lewistt

Reaction score
Got to thinking - I love my sidelocks. They seem to have a bit more interest, now that inlines have been around for a while. Do you think they will stage a comeback? Truly, I can think of few advantages that inlines have. The biggest crock is accuracy - are they kidding? The hawken rifles I shoot are very accurate indeed. Basically, inlines look like what folks are used to seeing. I guess a few more folks actually got into m/l because of them. I think those people are wanting to branch out to a more traditional style. Whatcha think?

I went from a sidelock to a inline and would give up the muzzle loading season before going back. Not because of accuracy as my TC Renegade was very accurate but I will never go back to that cleaning routine.

DC

I voted yes they will. I base this on a few things I have observed. Personally think that as more people become involved in any facet of muzzleloading whether inline, traditional or smoothbore, they get interested in all of it. While they might own only an inline, they are interested in traditional rifles as well. Also there are traditional rifles out there that can and do shoot as well as any inline rifle.

I have seen too many people start with an inline and then they get one traditional rifle. Soon they have two traditional rifles. And then it becomes almost crazy with some people.

I would never give up my traditional rifles. I like all kinds of muzzleloaders but often find myself hunting with the traditional rifles.

I don't own an inline and would not have an interest in purchasing one. I like my sidelocks; I am not so lazy that I mind cleaning one, I like flintlocks just the way they are. The thing that irritates me is that here in Pennsylvania we have had a long standing after Christmas season for flintlocks only and there is a big push to allow these inlines to be used in this primitive season. To me an inline is just like a single shot centerfire rifle with the scopes, primers, and saboted high BC bullets. I am quite certain that this season will be ruined for good and yet another reason to give this hunting crap up for good.

Mossie- You can always get a bow and still hunt :)

I have an Inline, and am looking to get a Traditional. I think there will be a comeback!

I do have a 50# Bear recurve that I used to shoot quite a bit but I really don't care for archery hunting anymore. It's mostly revolvers and flintlocks for me now. Centerfire rifles don't get much use anymore and I only hunt deer. I guess if it gets changed I will just have to be content to share the woods with the inliners but I am sure there will be more people doing it if its changed. Heck for the regular firearms season I will probably take the flinter if I go out at all anyway. I don't like being out hunting the regular firearms season much because of all the activity.

I just heard today from my gunstore that after this year TC is going to discontinue it's sidelock production. I don't know if it's true but I would sure hate to see that happen. TC is the best company that I have ever dealt with but I guess they are not selling much in the way of sidelocks anymore. It may all be changing since it merged with S&W.

mossie said:
I don't own an inline and would not have an interest in purchasing one. I like my sidelocks; I am not so lazy that I mind cleaning one, I like flintlocks just the way they are. The thing that irritates me is that here in Pennsylvania we have had a long standing after Christmas season for flintlocks only and there is a big push to allow these inlines to be used in this primitive season. To me an inline is just like a single shot centerfire rifle with the scopes, primers, and saboted high BC bullets. I am quite certain that this season will be ruined for good and yet another reason to give this hunting crap up for good.

mossie -- as far as cleaning a rifle, I hate to be the one to tell you, but a traditional rifle is far easier to clean then an inline rifle. I shoot both, and I can clean my traditional rifles much faster then I can a inline rifle.

I do agree that if your State has a primitive season, then it should stay that way. I would hate to see inlines move into that part of the muzzleloader season. Are traditional rifles allowed in the other part of the muzzleloader season?

As for your impression that an inline is nothing more then a single shot center fire rifle.. I can assure you, your wrong again. Granted some of them are able to do some fantastic ballistics, 90% of the inlines you see do not shoot anywhere near center fire capabilities. Of course that would depend on what center fire you are talking about.

While you have no desire for one, don't be too quick to condemn them. In fact if you had one for a weekend and shot it, you would probably discover they are really not anything all that different other then where you cap them. In fact I was shooting an inline today and had nothing but ignition problems. Much more so then I would have had with my Traditional rifles.

I have some traditional rifles with fast twist barrels that can shoot sabots. And they will shoot them with the best of the inlines. I think all you are really upset about is the ballistics. Well that is because of the twist of the barrel not the design of the rifle.

And I by no means want this to turn into a discussion of the evils of inlines VS traditional rifles.

Cleaning

Lot less parts to clean on a sidelock. I just like the feel of the things. I do have both, and hunt with both. The inlines certainly have swelled the ranks, and that's a good thing! Nothing wrong with either design.

I never understood how sidelocks got the reputation of being hard to clean. I took less time to completely clean my sidehammer gun than it did my Encore. Do I see renewal in the old guns, yes. They won't ever overtake inlines, but they'll always have their fans.

I also have both and hunt with both.I use my inlines in regular rifle season and my sidelocks in muzzleloader season.Do I think that the inlines should be allowed in muzzleloader season no, but that's just my own opinion.

I am not against inlines at all; I just don't have any disire to own one. I am very much against the use of them in the primitive season after Christmas in Pennsylvania. If it's granted I hope they don't let them use optics as well. The problem with them is that there is no season for them. How many people will use them during the regular firearms season?

I guess I just don't like most of the changes the PA. Game Commission has made in the last few years and I think it's most of the reason that license sales are down. I didn't like the buck and doe concurrent season change, I don't like the antler restriction changes during the buck season, and I won't like the flintlock season changed in any way; I think it's perfect just the way it is. They think their tinkering is helping the sport and I believe the opposite is more accurate.

Here is what I think is going to happen in PA. Centerfires outlawed with muzzleloaders and shotguns takeing their place; Compounds and crossbows for archery seasons.

Cayuga, Loggy and others; I repect you guys and consider you friends even though we have not met in person. My opinions are just that- my opinions and will abide by whatever ruling is made concerning seasons and equipment but I still may long for the old days in the long run. I will state again that I have no problems with the use of inline rifles but I do not want to share the flintlock season with any tools that are not flintlock ignition and that includes sidelock percussion guns. I think that only stickbows should be allowed in the primitive season as well. My opinions on the subject only. I hope most people will understand.

I do agree in that primitive season should stay primitive.

Although I know there is a lot of hate toward Colorado for not allowing Sabots and scopes, maybe it is a good thing, as I just purchased a percussion Hawken for the conicals 8)

Sidelock come back

I don't think they will come back but I don't see them going away to many die hards like them. I have 3 and also inlines they each have there purpose and special enjoyment.

i dont think mass-produced sidelocks are coming back anytime soon unless more states adopt regulations like idaho.

on the other hand, i think that custom and semi-custom muzzleloaders will keep going for some time. there will always be "enthusiasts" and folks who are interested in history (such as myself) who will own them.

my only gripe is that the semi-custom muzzleloaders are typically 100% historical ... that's ok, but in addition i'd like to see traditional muzzleloaders w/ some modern improvements, like better sights, hooked breech, etc. i dont see customs/semi-customs moving in this direction anytime soon.

the continued availability of real blackpowder also bothers me. the subs are great ... for inlines. blackpowder works best in sidelocks and flintlocks, and its getting very hard to acquire. you basically can't get blackpowder in the state of Mississippi right now unless you order it.

heck, we don't even have a muzzleloading season anymore in Mississippi, the "primitive" season has been expanded to include single-shot rifles w/ exposed hammers.

I started out with an Optima Pro, after 1 year of range use, I purchase a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in a 50, I now also own a Lyman Deerstalker 54. I have not shot my inline since trying sidelocks. Anybody wish to buy a well maintained very slightly used camo Optima Pro.

Mossie I have no problem with your views at all. In fact I respect them. If Wisconsin say for instance had a second muzzleloader season where only traditional rifles were allowed and then tried to change it. I would be up in arms as well. I would be going to meetings, screaming at the representatives, you name it.

I do not have a problem with inlines hunting muzzleloader season, I do not care if they are smokeless, I do not care if they are closed breech. The scoped issue I am not real sure on. I kind of like the fact that scopes are not allowed. I don't know why, as I have scoped muzzleloaders. All I care about is they stay away from me. I am not competing with anyone out there when I hunt. I am just having fun.

I do hunt with inlines, and then some days I might have a percussion cap, or a flintlock, maybe even a smooth bore. I could change to a different rifles every day of the season if I want and never use the same one twice. So there is no telling what I will be hauling around out there, on my property.

PA has a long history of the traditional season. I think that is a beautiful thing and would hate to see it lost. Although I will warn you, if sales of license are falling they might be considering the change for a couple reasons.. herd management and money.

You let the inline people in there and they bring money. Its a plain and simple fact. Inline people spend lots of money. They rent motels, buy gas, eat at restaurants, etc. We have the same thing around my place during deer season A normally quiet area of the state back in the middle of the national forest, and deer season comes and it is Grand Central Station around here.

Use what you like, what suits your style, area, dreams, what ever. The main thing is be safe, have fun, and enjoy your sport.

As my first post I would like to say here in WA we can hunt with either as long as it uses a traditional style cap and is exposed to the elements. So closed breech guns are out.

I hunt and shoot with both and as more and more states enact "primitive" laws I think they will make a comeback. Here in WA they semi are all ready. Knight makes one legal rifle and Tradtitions makes another inline that is legal and I think the whites are legal also. So inline pickins are small.

I shelved my Austin Hellecks this year to hunt with my Green Mountain barreled Cabelas Hawkins. It is every bit as accurate as my A&H's are and they are MOA guns. It shames my Rem M700ML and Winchester X-150. Those guns are flat sloppy to shoot compaired to the Hawkins.

Besides that I like carrying the Hawkins all day versus the heavier in lines.

Jason .. welcome to the forum it is great to have you here.

I have a fast twist GMB on my Renegade with a 1X scope as magnified scopes are illegal in Wisconsin. And I agree, this rifle is a real shooter. I shoot both conicals and sabots out of it with excellent results.

I think the trend in States will be to move to allowing any kind of muzzleloader actually. Granted some states will put restrictions but States are looking for the all mighty dollar. That is made by more license sales. More license sales are done by allowing any kind of muzzleloader into the season.

Good luck this hunting season...

lewistt said:
I think those people are wanting to branch out to a more traditional style. Whatcha think?

None I've talked to that own in-lines are even remotely interested in owning a traditional.
Sad...real sad.
Sadder yet is the fact they don't even shoot them but one time a year.
Guess extending a season is all they're interested in.

quigly - I would kind of disagree with that. Granted not all of the inline shooters want to branch out, but at least from what I have observed, they are interested. The ones that do not want to branch out are the ones that got an inline to extend their hunting season. They really do not go to the range like some of us, and shoot constantly. Go to a muzzleloader shoot and those inline people flock around a flintlock. They are fascinated. That is the first step I think in setting the "traditional hook."

The people that do have inlines that later branch out, often times go crazy with the traditional rifles. And you're right, they are not shooting the inlines, but they do shoot the traditional ones.

Latest posts

Back