Yah, and a Nah

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I took the 1:18 Twist ‘Business Rifle’ out again this morning, i had my mind made up to try these little short .444 Diameter 380 Grain BACO PP bullets in it, TOTAL FLOP! Wishful thinking i suppose you call it? :lol: Recoil was NICE, but that was it! This 1:18 Twist rifle has ZERO use for this little 380 Grain Patched bullet!

My bullets in comparison, both .444 Diameter, the little one is 380 Grains, and the big one is 530 Grains
FcyO8oQ.jpg

It flings these little guy’s all over the place, charge was 70 Grains of Swiss 3F by weight, and a Full size Nitro card OP Wad, if you notice there is a hole all the way at the bottom in the cardboard, off the entire target, i had 5 of these to shoot but after these 3 there was no reason to continue! Waste of powder and lead
mUlq2iV.jpg

Here is the .444-530 Grain, Powder charge was 85 Grains of Swiss 2F, this was MUCH MUCH better, but stil not great, i really think these will tighten up good at 150-200 yards, At 75 yards as some say, They haven’t ‘Gone to Sleep’ yet (Stabalized) As of now the Lyman Whitworth bullet at 475-480 Grains, Greased and sized to .452 are the clear winners. Pretty amazing the difference in these big long 530s vs the little 380s above, NIGHT N DAY difference!
PyfUk9z.jpg

Rlsmith said:
I really like to read about all your test learn alot

Thanks Rl, A lot of time goes in to it! The way i have this particular rifle setup it is kinda impractical, This thing is setup for REALLY long range open sight Target shooting, and it’s gonna take some time to get all the bugs ironed out. I have a BUNCH of Muzzleloaders that i can hunt with, or target shoot. But This particular rifle is strictly a target gun. It’s fun to play with though! I could actually see me hunting Whitetail from a stand/Sitting type hunt with this rifle and the big 475-480 Grain Lyman Grease Groove bullet, That bullet shot real well in it yesterday. I have HIGH hopes in the New Grease Groove mold i Have BACO making for it, So far my Paper Patched stuff hasn’t been all that great in it?

52Bore said:
Slow the 380gr down - a lot.

Kinda like a Roundball in a fast twist? This was nothing more than play and i have no interest in making them work, i just had to try it and see? It’s actually a darn good thing I didn’t have a bet made, i would have lost! I would have bet the 380s would have shot good the way i tried them? But they sure didn’t

Latest posts

Back