You all are going to be SO surprised!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No...that's correct. No tapping, no leveling, etc. Set the T/C measure to 125gr, fill it up, and pour it in the powder pan. The scale is calibrated to a "T." Just verifed with my Dillon D-terminator...125gr by VOLUME is just short of 85gr BY WEIGHT.

Just to recheck myself, which I don't think I need to...back on 08/08/04 when I shot "the group" at 161yds with the Disc Elite .50, those loads were shot with 86.5gr BY WEIGHT of ffg Triple Se7en, the figure I used THEN.

I guess that works for your TC measure... but every volume measure I have (a brass White System and a brass Traditions System, never liked TC) ends up around as I stated... 100 by vol = 80 by weight and 125 by vol = 100 by weight.

I think it is the TC that is off some... just my opinion of course.

Nic_58 said:
big6x6 said:
I get 85.0gr by weight approximately equal to 125gr by volume.

Wow, that's not what I get either! I also use the T/C U-View clear volumetric measure. My volume measured 110 gr. Triple Se7en FFG loads weigh 88 grs. on the PACT digital scale. So, I've always used the fomula that 1 grain weighed equals 1.25 grains by volume for Triple Se7en FFG.

It's interesting to note that not everyone gets the same measurements which is why it makes it hard to pass along info to others and expect them to get the same results. There are just SO many variables involved.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to Chuck's next range session with the LRH. I look for the groups to tighten up considerably.

Yep... 110 x 20% = 88 and that is how I figure things out for me when I start weighing stuff...

I know this is crazy talk...just drop 3 pellets down that sucker and lets get a shootin' ??? 8)

fairchase said:
I know this is crazy talk...just drop 3 pellets down that sucker and lets get a shootin' ??? 8)

THERE you go! 8) One thing IS for sure...I have 85gr and 90gr BY WEIGHT of ffg Triple Se7en and I'm gonna shoot it tomorrow! 8)

The 90gn by weight is definitely in most Knights wheelhouse for a good load! Have fun and post some pics!!

Out of my TC u-view I get 125 by volume = 85.5 by weight on my scales..

This is the average of 6 attempts.. I also checked across a few lbs I have sitting around.

Doohan said:
Out of my TC u-view I get 125 by volume = 85.5 by weight on my scales..

This is the average of 6 attempts.. I also checked across a few lbs I have sitting around.

GOOD!...That's VERY close to what I'm getting.

All this talk about weighing vs. volume made me go and get out the Triple Se7en FFG, the PACT scale and the T/C U-View volume measure. I set the U-View to 125 grs. which is the max setting on it, carefully poured in the powder until it rounded up a bit over the top, slid the funnel top over and scraped the powder off level with NO tapping, etc., and weighed 5 loads like this. The average for the 5 loads weighed 91.9 grs. on the PACT scale. I pulled out a previously weighed charge of the same powder that I had marked 110 grs. in a plastic vial. I set the U-View at 110 grs. and started pouring in the powder. To get it all in, I had to keep tapping the U-View on the bench, which is the method I use to fill the measure. This load weighed 88 grs. on the PACT scale and was achieved by tapping the volume measure to settle the powder. So, as you can see, there are many methods of volume measuring (tapping, settling, etc.) let alone all the different makes of measures. The 80 grs. weighed = 100 grs. volume formula is spot on with my measure ONLY if you tap the measure to settle the powder column which is my preferred method. It's just easier for me to use the 1 gr. weighed = 1.25 grs. by volume formula anymore. Today's the first time I've had the U-View measure out since I've gone to this method.

I musta been outa my mind when I posted that...

My results are 89.5 avg.

:drinkers:

Sheesh...

Nic_58 said:
The 80 grs. weighed = 100 grs. volume formula is spot on with my measure ONLY if you tap the measure to settle the powder column which is my preferred method. It's just easier for me to use the 1 gr. weighed = 1.25 grs. by volume formula anymore. Today's the first time I've had the U-View measure out since I've gone to this method.

I agree with all the above... have always tapped to settle the powder... but I never use it anymore, I always weigh when given a choice.

flatland hunter said:
So what is the range report from Sunday...

I didn't shoot as much as I wanted. I was at the range at daylight and it started out at least 15 degrees warmer than it did Wednesday. It got hot QUICK! I took time about shooting two Savages along with the LRH. Barrels practically never cooled. I'll try to post some targets by tomorrow am..

flatland hunter said:
So what is the range report from Sunday...

Here are the results... :D

I tried both the 220gr Knight Red Hot and the 250gr SST both with 85gr by weight of ffg Triple Se7en. Accuracy was not as good as previously with two Magnum pellets. Velocity with 85gr BY WEIGHT of Triple Se7en seems to be about equal to two Magnum pellets. The 220gr Red Hot velocity with 2 Magnum pellets was 2033fps and with 85gr BY WEIGHT 2029fps. I guess I thru both targets away. I also tried the 250gr SST and 275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme with 90gr BY WEIGHT of Triple Se7en. This load gives a velocity slightly higher than 2 Magnum pellets. 250gr SST...2 Magnum pellets-1934fps...90gr BY WEIGHT ffg-1975fps. The 275gr Ballistic Extreme gave a velocity of 1926fps. Here are the targets:

100_0289.JPG

Certainly nothing to write home about....

and the Parker...

100_0288.JPG

I'm getting there!

Not a LRH target but just for fun I tried a 250gr Ballistic Extreme in my laminate 10ML-II on top of 44gr SR-4759:

100_0290.JPG

I think I'm going to use that load. Hard to tell but there are 2 in the upper left hole. Velocity 2271fps.

Looks really good with those parkers! I hope you consider using it in KY in a few weeks.

Which gun made it to the safe quicker? :roll: Did your 10ML have a crud ring?
:poke:

Latest posts

Back