Newbie In Need of Help Please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Newbie In Need of Help Please

Timberelk said:
rangerod said:
I have to agree with MrTom. You are really behind the 8-ball. The Optima shoots well with about anything you load. I wouldn't recommend the Konus scope. Nikon inline xr or Leopold ultimate slam would be good choices. Check out Muzzle-Loader.com. You could have them mount your scope of choice. Try Barnes 290 Tez with 100 grns Black Horn powder. You can always figure things out later with the Omega and choose later what gun you like the most and sell the other.

I will need the BH 209 compatiable CVA optima breach plug correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

Midway USA and Muzzle-Loaders.com both have discounted prices right now on CVA rifles. You can get your hands on a stainless/black Optima V2 for $250, then add a little more for a BH209 breech plug.

Note the new CVA rifles are interchangeable as far as breech plugs, so you simply need a CVA Blackhorn 209 Breech Plug.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessories/breech-plugs/cva-qrbp-blackhorn-209-breech-plug.html

Would any of you consider buying the CVA wolf? Or is it a large step down for the optima?

I also found a CVA optima pro for sale locally for $170. Any suggestions on the wolf or pro would be appreciated! Thanks for all your help guys!

I would buy a Wolf, but if I did I would go with stainless barrel. I know they offer a blued version of the Wolf, but from first hand reports the bluing is not very good. A guy I know was using one and he said one morning out in damp conditions and surface rust was starting.

Timberelk said:
I also found a CVA optima pro for sale locally for $170. Any suggestions on the wolf or pro would be appreciated! Thanks for all your help guys!

The Optima Pro may be an older version of the optima line. Current version is the Optima V2. I would check to make sure the current Blackhorn 209 breech plug was compatible with the specific Optima you are looking for.

I have been following this but havent chimed in yet. I honestly think its the scope. Can you pull a proven scope off of another gun you have? Omegas just plain shoot! I can't remember ever reading about a lemon Omega on here or anywhere else. Including mine we have 6 of them in my extended family. Load up 100-120 grains of BH209 and either a Barnes 290 TMZ or either a .452 300 grain XTP or Speer Deep Curl in a harvester crushed rib and you should be good to go.

03mossy said:
I have been following this but havent chimed in yet. I honestly think its the scope. Can you pull a proven scope off of another gun you have? Omegas just plain shoot! I can't remember ever reading about a lemon Omega on here or anywhere else. Including mine we have 6 of them in my extended family. Load up 100-120 grains of BH209 and either a Barnes 290 TMZ or either a .452 300 grain XTP or Speer Deep Curl in a harvester crushed rib and you should be good to go.

I do have a Nikon prostaff 5 3.5-14x50 BDC (about a $400 scope) on my 300mag rifle. I am debating on getting a new scope for the muzzy like a Nikon prostaff or luepold vx-1 or taking off my Nikon prostaff 5 and trying it on the omega

If you have a store nearby that has scopes and the available funds then pick up a new scope. Like mentioned before stick with the best quality 3-9x40 you can get. But if you dont have time to run to a store then pull that scope off the 300. Thats a fine scope. Maybe a touch overkill but will work.

WV Hunter said:
Also, check your mounting lugs on the bottom of barrel. Mine had one that was loose.

+1 on checking the mounting lugs attached to the barrel. On older Omegas, they are welded, on new, they are attached with torx screws (T8, I believe). They have a tendency to work loose, allowing the lugs to "click" when you try to wiggle them, and that could well account for inconsistent shots. Tighten with some Loctite.

SteveH said:
WV Hunter said:
Also, check your mounting lugs on the bottom of barrel. Mine had one that was loose.

+1 on checking the mounting lugs attached to the barrel. On older Omegas, they are welded, on new, they are attached with torx screws (T8, I believe). They have a tendency to work loose, allowing the lugs to "click" when you try to wiggle them, and that could well account for inconsistent shots. Tighten with some Loctite.

I checked the initially when the gun was bought and they were slightly loose so I snugged them up with a flat head screw driver. When I get home I'll check them again. Any idea what inch lbs torque spec is on these tang screws (screws that attach the stock to the barrel)?

Re: RE: Re: Newbie In Need of Help Please

Timberelk said:
SteveH said:
WV Hunter said:

I checked the initially when the gun was bought and they were slightly loose so I snugged them up with a flat head screw driver. When I get home I'll check them again. Any idea what inch lbs torque spec is on these tang screws (screws that attach the stock to the barrel)?

Theres a sticky in the range work and trouble shooting section, that explains how to tighten an omega action or lug.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

herschel conyers said:
Timberelk said:
SteveH said:

Theres a sticky in the range work and trouble shooting section, that explains how to tighten an omega action or lug.

I found the post about the omega action but not about the lug screw.. anyone know what the in lb torque spec is?

Timberelk said:
herschel conyers said:
Timberelk said:

I found the post about the omega action but not about the lug screw.. anyone know what the in lb torque spec is?

I put some loctite on mine, and torqued it tight as it would go by hand.

So I drove all over the valley but found the stuff I need. I ended up with:

Nikon prostaff 3-9x40
New one piece rings/bases
BH209
Hornady XTP 300 grain
Harvester crush rib sabots
Digital reloading scale to measure my BH209 by weight (I believe 100 grains of vol is about 70 grains in weight)

Damn I hope this gun will finally shoot or I will literally pull my hair out!

I'm thinking you're dialed now. All good components with proven history.

Here's a little powder help for ten grain increments both by volume and weight:

By volume: 80gr. 90gr. 100gr. 110gr. 120 gr.
By weight: 56gr. 63gr. 70gr. 77gr. 84gr. Both the 84gr and the 120 grain loads are Blackhorn's recommended maximum.

If you really want to split hairs on powder weight when working up loads for different bullet/sabot combinations the digital scale will allow you to do charges in as little as 1/10 grain increments, but there is little gain in doing so. I do all my charge changes in 5 grain steps using the blackhorn and splitting the weight numbers by 3.5 in either direction. 3.5 grains by weight can show a difference at times, but anything less than that is probably moot.

On using that digital scale.....use it in an area/room free of fans in use or noticeable breezes as the scale will play games in either.

Re: RE: Re: Newbie In Need of Help Please

MrTom said:

By weight: 56gr. 63gr. 70gr. 77gr. 84gr. Both the 84gr and the 120 grain loads are Blackhorn's recommended maximum.

If you really want to split hairs on powder weight when working up loads for different bullet/sabot combinations the digital scale will allow you to do charges in as little as 1/10 grain increments, but there is little gain in doing so. I do all my charge changes in 5 grain steps using the blackhorn and splitting the weight numbers by 3.5 in either direction. 3.5 grains by weight can show a difference at times, but anything less than that is probably moot.

On using that digital scale.....use it in an area/room free of fans in use or noticeable breezes as the scale will play games in either.
X2. Great proven advice. Keep us informed on your progress Timberelk.

herschel conyers said:
MrTom said:

X2. Great proven advice. Keep us informed on your progress Timberelk.

Will do, thanks for the help guys! I should be shooting tomorrow morning

Get your "new" rig spot on at 25 yards, then stretch it to 100, just keep in mind that your scope is likely adjustable in 1/4" at 100 yard per click At 25 it takes 16 clicks to get the inch. Assuming the scope is graduated in that scale of course. Its just way faster and easier at 25 than 100 for the sight-in. Use a larger target too so fliers can be found if necessary. I have a stack of 25 yard rapid-fire pistol targets that measure about 20 X 27 that work great for zeroing at 25. I use a standard, 1" gridded, sight-in target at 100 and at the 100 yard mark wind the scope up to your 9 power.

Using that 209 powder fire one light load to foul the barrel then keep the cleaning supplies put away until you get home. Your gun will perform great with the powder and a shot barrel rather than if its patched every shot or two.

You're on your way....good luck!

Timberelk said:
So I drove all over the valley but found the stuff I need. I ended up with:

Nikon prostaff 3-9x40
New one piece rings/bases
BH209
Hornady XTP 300 grain
Harvester crush rib sabots
Digital reloading scale to measure my BH209 by weight (I believe 100 grains of vol is about 70 grains in weight)

Damn I hope this gun will finally shoot or I will literally pull my hair out!

Looks like you are on your way. Just remember to shoot a cool barrel. Old saying is 1st shot is cold shot and best shot you'll get. I'll also suggest you start a little below the 70 grain by weight of BH209 at say 60 grains to get close on the X ring and then work up. Also make sure the mounting screws are not bottoming out. Good luck and good shooting. And let us know how it goes. W

MrTom said:
Get your "new" rig spot on at 25 yards, then stretch it to 100, just keep in mind that your scope is likely adjustable in 1/4" at 100 yard per click At 25 it takes 16 clicks to get the inch. Assuming the scope is graduated in that scale of course. Its just way faster and easier at 25 than 100 for the sight-in. Use a larger target too so fliers can be found if necessary. I have a stack of 25 yard rapid-fire pistol targets that measure about 20 X 27 that work great for zeroing at 25. I use a standard, 1" gridded, sight-in target at 100 and at the 100 yard mark wind the scope up to your 9 power.

Using that 209 powder fire one light load to foul the barrel then keep the cleaning supplies put away until you get home. Your gun will perform great with the powder and a shot barrel rather than if its patched every shot or two.

You're on your way....good luck!

It is 1/4 MOA so at 25 yards each click is 1/16"

Just so I'm fully understanding... you're saying out say 30 grains of BH209, no bullet and then fire it so it's a dirty barrel? Or just fire a primer before loading so that the barrel is dirty from the primer?

Also, I'm a little confused... wouldn't I want to have a clean barrel for each shot just like I will have in the field (atleast for the first shot)? So that I know where my clean barrel shot will hit?

Latest posts

Back