Omega Build - McGowen .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got one of his new 45 barrels last week with the 4 piece adjustable plug.Will hew be selling those to the public?That would seem easier to get out than just the 209 primer.

While waiting for Mark Woodman to finish a Brux .45 barrel for an Omega build, I am trying a McGowen 24” 1:18 twist .45 barrel on an Omega platform:

McGowen 22” .45 1:18 nitrided (1” shank)
Woodman Arms 209 breech plug
Woodman Arms picatinny rail
LR Customs MZ-Rex 2 brake
Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock
Contessa 1” Light Picatinny low rings
Kahles Helia CL 3-9x40
Spartan Arms picatinny rail and bipod
Total weight: 9 lb 11 oz

View attachment 23870

This barrel has one of Mark’s adjustable-head space 209 breech plugs. The plug is an absolute work of art (as has been said before) and performs beautifully. I’m guessing all the other big names will be going to this design before long. I easily adjusted this one for about .004 crush on a Fed 209a and it is working great.

The barrel is beautiful. Mark machines a one-piece recoil-lug block and welds it to the barrel. The nitride finish is flawless. The 1” shank tapers to .888 at the brake. Mark threaded the barrel for my brake and made a nut for it. Mark recommends staying under 40k pressure in these SML barrels.

So far I’m testing light smokeless loads - 50-55 gr of H4198 and Fury 300 gr Star Tip 2p bullets with a 1/8” dry wool wad.

The very first two bullet-to-bore shots with 50 gr of powder from this rifle at 50 yards shot into one ragged hole. The barrel really seems to like 53/53.5 gr as well with that bullet. The worst group I’ve seen so far at 50 yards has been .635”.

Here at 80 degrees and 3000’ the 53 gr loads are going about 2217 fps and the 55 gr loads are running about 2335 fps at the muzzle. Recoil is fairly light.

Planning to push these 300s a little harder and move into testing some 327 gr bullets in the next day or two.

Thanks to @Mnt monkey for his advice in setting this rifle up. So far, I’m very happy with this rig!

View attachment 23875

View attachment 23873

how much of a accuracy difference do you expect to see between the brux vs the mcgowen ?
would the accuracy difference only be noticable by a well seasond shooter and/or beyond 200ish yards ?
do these barrels have to be shot with full bore bullets to get max accuracy ?
is there a big difference in accuracy using sabots ?

Last edited:
I won't speak for El Diablo and his experience with his 18 twist, mine really really shot well with all sabot loads that I tried,, so well did I didn't shoot a lot of sized to bore bullets,, I did shoot the 250 Fury and 275s it shot both of those a half inch to 3/4 of an inch my Barrel would put the 225 40 cal Fury into a little quarter inch glob. I've mentioned it before I target shoot with bore riders,,I like to hunt with a sabot load. I've gotten to a place where if it's a button rifle barrel I'm probably going to find an accurate sabot load,, if it's cut rifle I'm probably going to be shooting a bore rider. Having shot a lot of brux barrels the last 10 years not everyone is created equal, I'm sure you could say that about McGowan also, maybe I can clarify that a little bit all of my brux Barrels have shot less than an inch a lot less, however only a couple of them have literally been one hole
barrels. And I have had to lap a couple of them slightly even though they're supposedly hand-lapped when they're made. I think you will be well served with either Barrel one thing to remember and to pursue is learning your barrels individual characteristics what it likes and doesn't like I'm sure once you do that you will be more than satisfied with either one.

Reloder 7 powder testing today. First three shots with a Barnes 195 in a Harvester light blue (lightly knurled with a Fed209A) and 63 gr of Reloder 7. This is a three shot 50 yard group. Speed was 2427 fps. The wind was really gusty today so I didn’t shoot at 100. I also tried 70 gr charges as well as 200 gr SST (similar group) and 240 gr Fury OT. The groups opened up to unacceptable size with 70 gr. Speed was 2636 fps.
AD49503F-29B3-467C-AF06-00EC0E864FD6.jpeg
04875689-3851-4D44-A12C-10E700FD3545.jpeg

Reloder 7 powder testing today. First three shots with a Barnes 195 in a Harvester light blue (lightly knurled with a Fed209A) and 63 gr of Reloder 7. This is a three shot 50 yard group. Speed was 2427 fps. The wind was really gusty today so I didn’t shoot at 100. I also tried 70 gr charges as well as 200 gr SST (similar group) and 240 gr Fury OT. The groups opened up to unacceptable size with 70 gr. Speed was 2636 fps.
View attachment 31723
View attachment 31724
Any plans on trying N110?

I bet with 40 cal bullets around the 200 -225gr class, it will do good.
I can't wait to see how it does.

Last edited:
I went to the gun shows here over the week-end looking for some n110,n120,h4198 and imr4198 and notone cannister to be found out of over 200 vendors.Did not even see any Re7,And I am not familiar with any of the other powders.
Powder valley has n120 in stock, 1 and 8 pound jugs. Personally i would get the 8 lb. Jug and not look back …

Latest posts

Back