A couple more questions...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bow_hunter44

Reaction score
I was reading recently about needing to protect any optics on a MK-85. I've never had a scope on mine, so; 1) what would protection from the open breech consist of?

2) What base/rings/mounting system is the ticket for the MK-85?

3) Are muzzleloader scopes substantially different than a rifle scope? I know that a 'desirable' scope is highly subject to personal preference, but; 4) what is a desirable scope for a 54 caliber MK-85?

Gracias!

Mercy, I thought archery was a tackle intensive and expensive game - which it is. But it would seem that is (archery) is not unique!

Yes DEFINITELY Protect the Scope, Blowback will PERMANENTLY DAMAGE the Scopes finish, Black electrical Tape wrapped around the Tube is Enough.

I used Weaver Grand Slam (STEEL) Bases on my Old MK-85, And Leupold Mark 4 Rings For there RUGGED, Repeatability On & Off for Each Cleaning Session, I use Swiss Real Blackpowder, Everything gets DIRTY and Needs Cleaned

Are muzzleloader scopes substantially different than a rifle scope? I know that a 'desirable' scope is highly subject to personal preference, but; 4) what is a desirable scope for a 54 caliber MK-85?

Not really different other than some may have a 50yard parallax but that is not common anymore. If i was going to rescope my 54cal it would be with something like a compact 1-6or8x24 that can handle some recoil. I have a Redfield 2-7x33 on it now. I think Leupold still might offer the 2-7x33 which is almost identical in specs.
https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-2-7x33-hunt-plex

I use black electrical tape on my MK's. Just cut, fit, and fashion to your liking...I cover everything between the rings. You can't even tell I have it on there at a glance, and it cleans up well and usually lasts a couple seasons. I have 3-9x40 scopes on most of my ML's, not a ML specific scope - just regular rifle scopes. Leupold, Sightron, Nikon, Bushnell. I don't use cheapies, I like mid level at least. Personal choice.

Latest posts

Back