Blackhorn 209.....WTH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The question that I have for those diehard BH209 shooters that have been able to purchase in past years, the heavily discounted 10oz bottles of BH209 at Walmart after the end of each hunting season is, "Do you think that Walmart will continue with past policies, and continue this practice?"

"Or, has there been a complete paradigm shift vis-a-vis the selling of firearms propellants to the general public here in the United States? To the point that the previous low/reasonable prices for smokeless powders, black powder, and black powder substitutes might be a thing of the past?"

Interested in other's thoughts.

"The question that I have for those diehard BH209 shooters that have been able to purchase in past years, the heavily discounted 10oz bottles of BH209 at Walmart after the end of each hunting season is, "Do you think that Walmart will continue with past policies, and continue this practice?"

"Or, has there been a complete paradigm shift vis-a-vis the selling of firearms propellants to the general public here in the United States? To the point that the previous low/reasonable prices for smokeless powders, black powder, and black powder substitutes might be a thing of the past?"

I think it's supply and demand setting the price right now. Ain't no supply and there is high demand.
My MalWart doesn't sell guns nor powder nor ugly black rifle ammo so I don't get good prices like as posted, but my question is > Is the BH 209 being sold at MalWart Western Mfg. or Hodgdon Mfg.? If Western it has been warehoused somewhere and they are selling at the same markup as before.

Malwarts business model is/has been, sell everything and sell it cheap so lots of people come here to buy everything. They save $ on wages too, so ive heard.

Hasn't been any BH over here in my neck of the woods in Ontario Canada for 2yrs now, and it sells for $80.00/bottle

And if you plan ahead, hitting Walmart after the season is over, BH209 @$19-$22/bottle is probably cheaper than 777.
The Walmarts near me barely carry anything muzzleloader. I havent seen any powder other than pellet at them in quite a while…and don’t get me started

i definitely feel this is the case near me. Walmarts that I know used to carry those type of products and now they are slowly (sometimes quickly) carrying less and less. I bet Walmart gets away from that whole market to ensure their “political correctness” remains in tact. Obviously “mass shootings” will inevitably occur involving Muzzleloaders… and Walmart, being a company of only the highest business integrity and ethics won’t be responsible for supplying all the shooting sprees with the pyrodex pellets and Powerbelts (sarcasm… in case you didn’t pick that up)

Not where I come from. Around here they got about 4 bottles and sold those in a day and never got any more. Same price this year as last...$36.86. But with none on the shelves who cares? I don't really care myself as I have a plenty but lots of others can't get any. North Central Ohio. And Cabela's can take their $55 10oz bottles and shove them sideways bone dry square up their asses!
[/Cabela's stopped being Cabela's when Bass Pro took them over and Sportsman's Warehouse is going that way too
As for BH Walmart after season deals I'm my part of Tennessee it's not in the stores anywhere in early October all the stores around here got five containers and that was it

I know I’ll probably catch an earful for that post, I had a couple too many wobble pops when I posted it. It was the “way more than what I need” part that got to me. There are thousands of people who have “way more than what I need” and thousands of us who can’t find powder or primers. If everyone just bought what they needed, there would more than likely be enough to go around. I have a friend who was even buying boxes of ammo for guns he didn’t even own. Don’t know what good that was doing him, but it was taking it from those that could have a use for it.

I think it's supply and demand setting the price right now. Ain't no supply and there is high demand.
My MalWart doesn't sell guns nor powder nor ugly black rifle ammo so I don't get good prices like as posted, but my question is > Is the BH 209 being sold at MalWart Western Mfg. or Hodgdon Mfg.? If Western it has been warehoused somewhere and they are selling at the same markup as before.

I was lucky enough to find one bottle of BH at Walmart back in September, and it was mfg. by Hodgdon.

I know I’ll probably catch an earful for that post, I had a couple too many wobble pops when I posted it. It was the “way more than what I need” part that got to me. There are thousands of people who have “way more than what I need” and thousands of us who can’t find powder or primers. If everyone just bought what they needed, there would more than likely be enough to go around. I have a friend who was even buying boxes of ammo for guns he didn’t even own. Don’t know what good that was doing him, but it was taking it from those that could have a use for it.
Call it "Stimulating the economy". I will almost always buy another bottle of BH if i find it at a reasonable price, more than one if its on sale. I won't grab everything tho. Just seems rude and greedy. Momma taught me not to eat that last piece of cake, "be polite and leave it for someone else"(I always thought she meant we should leave it for her🍰)

The Walmart near me that does sell muzzleloaders and supplies did not discount any muzzleloader items at the end of last year. They just put them in the back store room and brought all those items back out for the 2021 hunting season. I noticed the muzzleloaders that did not sell in 2020 are exactly the same ones that store has on the shelf this year.

I"m glad I dont have friends like yours ,mine know I"m looking for BH209 and will buy it for me knowing at this point it aint cost just buy it and tell me how much I owe you! And know I dont hoard which is why I did not have any to shoot when I used up the last 10 oz from last year ,just got 2 bottles from my local dealer (40 + yrs ) relationship . She called and said a buyer who asked for and never picked up 2 bottles reminded her that I was looking for 4-5 bottles so she called and said I got 2 ,when will you pickup and told her Pauline Im on my way ! Got there and she informed me with the lack of every thing she is closing up shop only thing left is shot gun wads ! Thanks BIDEN)/Ed

It’s panic buying and hoarding that makes so the rest of us can’t find it.
I have started hoarding all the shotgun powder I can get , it’s getting near impossible to find. primers are non existent lately, this sucks, I guess what I’m saying is I never hoarded till now

Back