Blackhorn209 By Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
BLACKHORN 209
blackh10.jpg

Volume Measured Charge                  Weighed Charge

10 Grains..................................................7.0 Grains
20 Grains................................................14.0 Grains
30 Grains................................................21.0 Grains
40 Grains................................................28.0 Grains
50 Grains................................................35.0 Grains
60 Grains................................................42.0 Grains
70 Grains................................................49.0 Grains
80 Grains................................................56.0 Grains
90 Grains................................................63.0 Grains
100 Grains..............................................70.0 Grains
110 Grains..............................................77.0 Grains
120 Grains..............................................84.0 Grains

FG I have a question

Somewhere I remember reading that it is not good practice to weigh blackpowder in comparison to measuring. But I see a lot of guys here are doing it, that is why I bought my scale.

Could you tell me and others who might not know why you all measure & weigh.

Thanks ahead of time!

:cheers:

I weigh and measure my loads because I like consistency. Check this pic :!: :!: :!:
90vs100gr002.jpg

Rick,

That's a very good question and worth asking. Having reloaded a lot of centerfires and knowing how even a small powder change could make a difference in accuracy, I can't help but to infer the same for black powder...whether it's true or not.

Is it necessary to weigh black powder for hunting... not at all. Like the traditionalist old-timers, I've done just fine hunting in the past without weighing my black powder loads. However, if you are looking to push today's muzzleloading technology to limits that were un-obtainable in the past, then I believe weighing the powder can be beneficial...especially for extra-long distance shooting. Since I have the time, I plan to weight all my loose powder loads, but it would not keep me from hunting if I didn't.

Like FG said, if you weigh the powder you eliminate the powder variability in the accuracy equation. I also think the benefits of weighing depends on the particular powder granule size and consistency characteristics. For example, without using a weighing scale, I found I was usually able to volume measure 10-grain increments(80, 90, 100 and 110 grains) of premium BH209 granules to within 1.5 grains. I doubt I could consistently do that with bulkier powders or those that are not uniform in composition.

If FG with all his shooting knowledge and experience still thinks it's a good idea to weigh powder, then I'm convinced it is. If weighing makes my loads even slightly more accurate, then I will make more humane harvests.

Well that answers my question, I am going to start to weigh all my charges.

Thanks for the answers!

I like to push the extremes with my guns. I am limited to 300 yards with my muzzleloader only because of energy levels. This is a 300 yard group using weighed charges of BH209. Hitting the target is no problem when the gun is shooting consistently. Consistent ammo one of the big factors of accuracy.

Omega_300_bonded_sst.jpg

:D

Nice group at 300...... One day I'm going to try the 300 yard benches.

Ray.......... :)

:shock: That's a fantastic group for 300 yds. with a muzzleloader. I'd be happy with that at 200 yards.
I'm guessing you are set-up for long distance shooting. What distance was your muzzleloader zero-ed-in for, and what was your set-up(rifle, scope, load, etc.) which gave you a group like that :?:

I50,
My setup is a TC Omega, stainless steel barrel/action riding in a bedded laminated stock with barrel free floated. The barrel is .50 caliber. Scope base is Farrell +20 MOA Picatinny style. Rings are by Warne. Scope is Kahles 3-10x50 with Ballistic Reticle.

omegakahles.jpg

Kahles3-30x50.jpg

My load corresponds with the reticle as 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards.

The load is a 300 gr SST in a Harvester sabot, Win 209 primer, 85.2 grains of BH209 by weight. I am getting 2120 fps at the muzzle at 4350' elevation ASL.

Yes, I do shoot long range quite a bit. I shoot to 1000 yards qute often at my local range. A 22lr becomes a fun toy at 200 and 300 yards. It's a grat way to learn how to dope the wind. I am building a new Rem/Pac ML that I want to get MOA at 500 yards. Wahoo!

Lemme bump this since it's the most recent thread and it's a sticky.

Those that are weighing instead of using volume measurements, what are you using? Bar scale? Digital scale? Reloading powder measure to throw the powder?

I just weigh mine on my old rcbs beam scale, its slow but I'm not in a hurry.

digital scale for me WHEN i weigh charges. I found my powder measure gets them to within 1.5 grains, thats about as perfect as you can get IMO.

I know it varies by charge volume, but by rough estimation, how many shots would a 10 oz and 5lb bottles give?

shots per jug

mapache said:
I know it varries by charge volume, but by rough estimation, how many shots would a 10 oz and 5lb bottles give?
See Hawgslayers post dated 24 Sept 12. He getting 55 per tub.
Hopes this helps

Back