Blackhorn209 By Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
patocazador said:
You are correct in the statement, "as long as my assumption that 100 grains volume does not differ."
Your results may turn out to be perfectly valid but you have only tested one side of the problem as far as accuracy is concerned.
BTW (for what it's worth) I would venture a guess that in the shooting world, we'd define accuracy as the ability to repeat the same shot over-and-over and the more closely the shots group together, the more "accurate" our shots are. With - or without - the shooter in the equation, we can only achieve that result if the bullet leaves the muzzle at the same speed and with the same parameters. So... from my perspective, it's important that I can repeat the load with as great a precision as possible. Because if I can predict it, I can repeat the results over-and-over with only the conditions and the shooters skills as my variables. This is/was my goal.  So I'm totally OK with .7 or .722 - either will work as long as you can precisely repeat it you will get the best accuracy possible.

Again, I'm very grateful fro your all's help in pointing out that the "volume" measurement is in fact not precise across various makers tools (maybe even their own) as there is no existing calibration.  Good lesson to learn and one that should be useful to everyone.

Thanks again!

Jim

yep with BH209 that 2 grains +/- won't mean a darn thing. Hell, I had one measure that threw it 6 grains heavier than what it should be!  Now if it were smokeless powder, we all know how a tiny 2 grain charge can drastically affect a smokeless load!

Measure consistently " which you show you can do!" and compress your loads consistently, thats how it all comes together and accuracy falls in.

And a clean breech plug flash channel!

Unless I've run out of pre-weighed tubes of powder, I never use a volumetric measure. Like yourself, I handloaded all my calibers for over 30 years now. I can not get used to saying, "close enough", so I pre-weigh every charge.

There was nothing wrong with your methods except for the questionable accuracy of the volumetric measure. As a chemistry major in college, I never could get away from covering all variables in a controlled test.

Just thinking about a volumetric measure being used to measure weight still floors me. Scales measure weight. Volumetric flasks measure volume and should be expressed in ml, cc, or liquid oz not grains. :say whhhhhat:

It doesn't make as good an explosion as Olde Eynsford powder does, the Blackhorn 209 was Ok but just didn't have the same effect.  :shock:   :affraid:   :face:

Back