Cost of Blackhorn!!!!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3500 grains divided by 100 per shot = 35 loads. $79.99 (Cabelas) divided by 35 = $2.28 per shot. Yeah, a bit expensive. And that doesn't include the Projectile and Primer/Cap.

Walt

That really brings home the reality of using BH209 at today's prices.

I quit smoking . Been smokeless for awhile now. Let's see....
$80 for 8oz or $45 for 1lb....
Glad I did a 45-70 conversion. With smokeless, you can beat BH209 in just about every way, price and etc.
and 70-110 grain BP/S loads compared to 50-60 grain SL loads so more shots per pound of powder also if i'm understanding correctly .

and 70-110 grain BP/S loads compared to 50-60 grain SL loads so more shots per pound of powder also if i'm understanding correctly .
Correct. To me, there's no comparison, smokeless wins in all areas. For any BH209 load you can do, there's a smokeless load that will beat it.
For me, it's 70 - 110 BP/S loads compared to 30 - 38 SML loads

I just shoot my regular non BH 209 M/L
my 54 T/C Hawken with my new 500 gr mold thanks this very site and member Idaholewis for pointing me in the rite direction
I have 3+#'s of goex 2 f I can use
Besides BH 209 makes it to easy and takes out the skill

Small pistol primers are everywhere, the small rifle can be found. The large pistol primers will be next to be available and last will be the large rifle primers. You can tell they are getting caught up just by looking at all the ammo going on sale. Just hang on a few more months there will be plenty for sale.

Anyone know if the powder or even pellets go bad after a while? Or lose potency?

Yes - all of the BP substitutes are hydroscopic - they'll pull in moisture if not stored properly - however Blackhorn resists this better than most I've tried.

That said - I've got 777 pellets that are several years old, stored, cool, dry, and stored away from moisture and humidity. They're my zero-verification propellants as any degradation is usually rapidly apparent. I don't reseal the pellet box after opening it - I just kept it stored as noted above - some shooters will reseal or vacuum seal the pellet box. I've been shooting 777 pellets for about 6-7 years with no issues.

However, I was given a couple of sealed 777 pellet boxes from an estate sale this past fall - theses were the first 777 pellets I've had that I had shot that were degraded. All loads shot low, and some pellets didn't fully ignite - you could watch them burn on the ground in front of the firing line.

Those pellets went in the burn pit as soon as I could get them there.

IMHO - as long as you take care of the storage in stable environments - pellets will last a number of seasons.

I'll be trying everything else in the future except BH at that price.

Latest posts

Back