CVA Leaked the new Paramount Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzle-loader

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone saw, but CVA made a post about a new muzzleloader coming soon, called the Paramount. Most of the information being shared is based off previous information, combined with information off the posts and comments.

-Bolt Action Design
-Same stock as Bergara HMR
-Faster-twist rate (don't know exactly what thought)
-Possibly not 50 cal
-Capable of 140 grains of Blackhorn 209
-New Powerbelt Paramount 280 grain bullet for this gun (which makes me think this could be .45 cal)

Should be interesting, and we will post more info when we can.

1874sharpsshooter said:
Leaked ??? I think a video for American Hunter is actually “promoting” not “leaking “

And I really do not understand the big deal about 140 gr. BH - that still creates less peak pressure than 120 of T7...

well its gonna be more accurate then any other muzzleloader out there as long as you use 140 gr of BH and there special bullet so Im definitely going to rush out and buy one. :stretch:

..... It uses a VariFlame rifle primer adapter to ignite ....

Well, i can say i have played around quite a lot using these ignition chingadero, and know that i, and others have experienced some difficulty getting a good seal using them. They are made of stainless, and as such are very hard. They do not 'crush'. Because of this, they don't lend themselves to sealing. My solution was to use an o-ring, which, being rubber, does crush, and seal, but i never used an o-ring in a bolt rifle. Further reading available.

So, i guess i am curious, but am for sure, not interested.

Oh, in my 45 Omega, i did try 140g Blackhorn behind 200g 40 caliber sst bullet, but my hunting load ended up being 115g Blackhorn. The rifle, and load were successful in bringing down an antelope at over 300 yard; more powder not required.

There you go . The new manufacturers class muzzleloader for Friendship. So....... who is gonna be shooting it ? Rick or Bob :) :)
Me , I am still to anti CVA to want one and even more anti Powerbelt.

dbowling said:
well its gonna be more accurate then any other muzzleloader out there as long as you use 140 gr of BH and there special bullet so Im definitely going to rush out and buy one. :stretch:
140 gr Blackhorn and a powerbelt .... what’s that over $3.00 a shot ? Have to be rich to shoot a lot with that and if rich why buy a CVA ?

If they based that ML on the B-14 then CVA might just have a nice one coming. Bergara B-14 Hunters are actually pretty nice.

[youtube]vxf6bTX_Alw[/youtube]

I was being sarcastic have no interest in one what so ever.

1874sharpsshooter said:
dbowling said:
140 gr Blackhorn and a powerbelt .... what’s that over $3.00 a shot ? Have to be rich to shoot a lot with that and if rich why buy a CVA ?

dbowling said:
I was being sarcastic have no interest in one what so ever.

1874sharpsshooter said:
dbowling said:

I know DWB’s are pretty sharp :)

1874sharpsshooter said:
There you go . The new manufacturers class muzzleloader for Friendship. So....... who is gonna be shooting it ? Rick or Bob :) :)
I have invited Jeff S. and Tony S. with CVA to Friendship each time I seem them at the SHOT show. Maybe now, they may have something that will compete? Time will tell.

52Bore said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
I have invited Jeff S. and Tony S. with CVA to Friendship each time I seem them at the SHOT show. Maybe now, they may have something that will compete? Time will tell.
How would that affect the 120 gr maximum Blackhorn rule???
Would CVA have to limit it to 120 instead of 140 ??

52Bore said:
1874sharpsshooter said:

It sounds like they are "upping the ante" and are trying to manufacture better MLs. IMHO they have come a long way in the last 3-5 years. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have shooters at the upcoming competitions.

1874sharpsshooter said:
How would that affect the 120 gr maximum Blackhorn rule???
Have to wait and see if BH209 changes their data publications/recommendations and what CVA stamps on their barrel.

halloflin said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have shooters at the upcoming competitions.
I'd like to see them as well as all.. I'm not holding my breath, but will keep inviting them.

Im glad that cva is moving forward with a new muzzleloader.

But blows my mind with advancements in quality ignition systems and projectiles.

They choose variflame and powerbelts.

Engineers must live in a glass bubble somewhere.

sabotloader said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
Leaked ??? I think a video for American Hunter is actually “promoting” not “leaking “

And I really do not understand the big deal about 140 gr. BH - that still creates less peak pressure than 120 of T7...

Blackhorn pressure curve much longer definitely effects ignition systems

bestill said:

But blows my mind with advancements in quality ignition systems and projectiles.

And probably don’t even shoot muzzleloaders . They just design them and leave it up to someone to market them .

bestill said:

I've been saying for years that if CVA would make a muzzleloader based on the Bergara B-14, it will definitely put another hurting on Remington and Knight.

I'm perplexed as well on their choice of the Vari-flame, but it may come with a new twist. I'll hold my criticism until I know for sure.

Also not a fan of PowerBelts, but will be curious to see if this Paramount may be a whole new design? May be great for punching paper and banging steel, if nothing else? Nobody says you have to use them or hunt with them.

I'm sure that Luke will have a version of breech plug and primer modules for this rifle in pretty short order anyways, so that is a possibility.

I'm thinking this will be a .45 cal with a 1:20 - 1:24 ish twist? I have a 1:24 twist Bergara barreled CVA Scout chambered in .450 Bushmaster that shoots as good as my bolt rifles with factory Hornady Black 250 gr FTX ammo. 100 yd groups.

These Bergara bolt rifles are very nice rifles, and will be a force to be reckoned with no matter what the haters say. Even with the Vari-flame, it can't be any worse than the Knight and Remington factory ignitions with their headspace issues. If it is, I'm sure Luke will have a fix for it?

I thought I was done buying muzzleloaders, and especially bolts? Maybe not?

I guess we'll see in 2019!

Attachments

• 20170902_173102-1-1.jpg
    20170902_173102-1-1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,825
  • 20171111_203207-1-1-1-1.jpg
    20171111_203207-1-1-1-1.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 1,826

Latest posts

Back