Difference between grams and grains

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRS244

Reaction score
I need to get a scale to measure black powder loads. I’ve never done this before. I have a food scale that measures grams but not grains. What is the difference?

Read this when you get a chance. What is the difference between a gram and a grain? – KnowledgeBurrow.com

1 gram is approximately 15.43236 grains….Grain (unit) So simply divide the number of grains you want by this number and you have the grams.
i.e.; 100 gr / 15.4 = 6.49 grams. But keep in mind this is by weight. Black powder and the subs are measured by volume. There are conversion tables out there for some subs that convert volume into weight (in grains).
I would caution using a scale that weights in grams for powder. You can get a small digital scale really cheap. Here's on on Ebay: Reloading Scale Powder Scale for Reloading 1500 grains x 0.1 gn Digital Powde .. | eBay

I've always thought that real black powder is best measured in volume and that measuring any other way is a waste of time. The granulation of black powder is so irregular and contains so many fines that weighing would just turn out to be very inconsistent while volume is volume is volume.

I've always thought that real black powder is best measured in volume and that measuring any other way is a waste of time. The granulation of black powder is so irregular and contains so many fines that weighing would just turn out to be very inconsistent while volume is volume is volume.
You're right MrTom. Its was early for me as I didn't get to sleep until about 3:00 AM. I was focused on the OP's question. It would even be cheaper for him to go to Walmart and pick up a volume measure for powder in the sporting goods section.

Read this when you get a chance. What is the difference between a gram and a grain? – KnowledgeBurrow.com

1 gram is approximately 15.43236 grains….Grain (unit) So simply divide the number of grains you want by this number and you have the grams.
i.e.; 100 gr / 15.4 = 6.49 grams. But keep in mind this is by weight. Black powder and the subs are measured by volume. There are conversion tables out there for some subs that convert volume into weight (in grains).
I would caution using a scale that weights in grams for powder. You can get a small digital scale really cheap. Here's on on Ebay: Reloading Scale Powder Scale for Reloading 1500 grains x 0.1 gn Digital Powde .. | eBay
Thanks for the detailed reply. I had no idea there was a difference. The conversion formula helps. I think I’ll stick to volume for now.

I’m planning to use BH209. Is the granulation irregular as well?

I said BP at the beginning but meant BH209. Sorry for stating that incorrectly.

I also measured Black powder by volume before going to smokeless guns where you have to weigh charges carefully. You're describing the irregular granulation and the concentration of fines would have you benefit more by weighing the charges for a more consistent charge which would lend itself too consistent speeds and better accuracy. IMO

You will not fare well with BH209. First, it requires substantial pressure to be kept on it to ignite well and secondly, and more importantly, if it does ignite it generates far more pressure than any black or sub other than T7. That old gun may not be proofed for those kinds of pressures. It would be a sin to find yourself holding a smoking pile of twisted metal and broken wood but imagine losing a hand or part of an arm or your eyes or even worse. BH wasn't even a dream when that gun was made.

Even if the gun shows as being "proof tested" the process in doing so involved powders that were in no way as powerful as today's smokeless or semi-smokeless powders. If this were mu gun and I wanted to shoot it using a current powder, I wouldn't wander much further than Pyrodex.

I weigh BH209 with a PACT DPPS scale.
Volume works for consistancy when you fill your individual tubes consistantly.
Your individual tubes must have accurate/consistant volume markings.
I weigh because I am anal rententive. Almost anyone can be taught to shoot to hit
between the eyes @ few hundred yards. I want my kit to allow me the choice of which pupil to pick.
No, I do not bring out my AutoTrickler V3 nor V4 when +/- 0.1gr is just fine for BH209 work.
I am so glad that the Lord did not give me a pocket knife affliction.

Weighing any powder will always be more accurate/ consistent for any powder (including real black). But it is a lot of work. But it doesn’t make any difference in accuracy for hunting out to 200 yards.
My shots are never past 50 yards where I hunt and that would be a long shot. I hunt very thick woods and thickets.

That’s why I enjoy archery and got away from gun hunting. I started hunting Maryland this year and the type of weapon changes often and you can only use that type weapon during that timeframe. So muzzleloaders are back for me.

I weigh BH209 with a PACT DPPS scale.
Volume works for consistancy when you fill your individual tubes consistantly.
Your individual tubes must have accurate/consistant volume markings.
I weigh because I am anal rententive. Almost anyone can be taught to shoot to hit
between the eyes @ few hundred yards. I want my kit to allow me the choice of which pupil to pick.
No, I do not bring out my AutoTrickler V3 nor V4 when +/- 0.1gr is just fine for BH209 work.
I am so glad that the Lord did not give me a pocket knife affliction.
😂😂😂
“I weigh because I am anal rententive.”

and

“I want my kit to allow me the choice of which pupil to pick.”

Almost spilled my coffee 👍

Back