Favorite venison recipes???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Venison and Noodles

Venison shanks with the bone, 3-4 lbs
6-8 stalks of celery cut into 3" sections
One large yellow onion with the skins, cut into eighths
Salt and pepper to season the shanks
Enough water to cover, about 3 quarts

Season Venison shanks with salt and pepper. Brown them in a Dutch oven. Cover with water and add celery stalks and onion chunks. Place in the oven at 215 F for at least six hours. You can't rush this. The meat should be falling off the bone and the stock smells delightful.

Let it cool until you can handle the meat and bones. Pull the meat from the bones and cut into small cubes. Skim the fat from the stock. Then return the meat to the stock.

Bring it to a boil and add the noodles. Follow the package direction and cook as desired. I like mine al dente. I also use Amish egg noodles. Use what you like.

I am preparing this today. The top photo is from after cooking the shanks. And then the finished product.

Shanks.jpgNoodles.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished bagging up 21lbs of deer BBQ that I made from the second buck I killed on the 18th. I used all rib meat, neck & both front shoulders, boiled down all day long. Stock was saved for stew. I chopped everything up bc I don’t like stringy chewy deer BBQ. I used 1 bottle of Sweet Baby Rays per 5lbs of meat and 1 whole bottle of Boars Head Hot Sauce.

Attachments

• 190BBCCC-CD64-4D91-9E2F-C7A417D02DE7.jpeg
    190BBCCC-CD64-4D91-9E2F-C7A417D02DE7.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 88287B36-191E-4B44-9FAC-A34CDDCDBCD8.jpeg
    88287B36-191E-4B44-9FAC-A34CDDCDBCD8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A88A1FCF-E046-4B5B-AF2F-96919558E8B8.jpeg
    A88A1FCF-E046-4B5B-AF2F-96919558E8B8.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Back straps cut to 6 inch lengths marinated in a mix of:

Soy sauce
Mustard
Garlic
Black pepper
Maybe some sriracha

Hard sear to medium rare, let rest, then slide into medallions.

Serve with roasted veggies and a starch like rice.

shanks slow cooked, or loin cubed, wrapped in thin sliced bacon, 2-3 on a skewer and grilled or baked till bacon is done
Or a well made venison burger on the right bun. A simple burger is hard to beat. I like fresh tomato, and extra pickle

Last edited:
One of my favorite is a braised front shoulder.

I have a cast iron bread pan I use, but a roasting pan and foil would work also.

Whole front deer shoulder, bone in. Brown both sides and set to the side. In same pan sauté some onions then add your bone broth or beef broth and scrape bottom of pan to get all the bits loose.

Next add some chopped up celery, carrots, minced garlic and shallots. Create a bed on the bottom of the pan for the shoulder to sit on. Add some dry red wine, about a 1/3 of the amount of broth you use, you want to just cover the roast with liquid.

Cook in oven at 275-300 for 6-9 hours depending on size of roast, I don't check the fluid level, I let it reduce.

I then remove the roast and set to the side and take the remaining liquid and veggies in pot and use an immersion blender and make a sauce to serve over the roast.

One of my favorite is a braised front shoulder.

I have a cast iron bread pan I use, but a roasting pan and foil would work also.

Whole front deer shoulder, bone in. Brown both sides and set to the side. In same pan sauté some onions then add your bone broth or beef broth and scrape bottom of pan to get all the bits loose.

Next add some chopped up celery, carrots, minced garlic and shallots. Create a bed on the bottom of the pan for the shoulder to sit on. Add some dry red wine, about a 1/3 of the amount of broth you use, you want to just cover the roast with liquid.

Cook in oven at 275-300 for 6-9 hours depending on size of roast, I don't check the fluid level, I let it reduce.

I then remove the roast and set to the side and take the remaining liquid and veggies in pot and use an immersion blender and make a sauce to serve over the roast.
That sounds really good

Brown it then chuck it in an Instant Pot for 30min with beef broth and whatever seasoning you like. My favorites are chilli and curries for venison since its flavor pairs well with those spices. The Instant Pot will make nearly any cubed meat tender within 20-30min plus the pressure release time. Release the pressure naturally and then set it to slow cook on low until you are ready to feast.

Simple one is Lipton beefy onion soup mix instead of beef broth if you dont mind the sodium. I use unsalted beef stock for all that kinda stuff. Then add salt to taste.
I like the beefy onion mix in my venison burgers!

Look up birria. Its a Mexican stew made with goat usually. Also used as a taco meat. Well venison works great for that too. Goat is also lean and rather tough. Im going to have to try carnitas with venison but that will require some lard or its gunna be too dry.

I made chili & cornbread last night. I’m not a chili fan at all, but this turned out so good, I’ve eaten more chili in the last 12hrs than I’ve eaten in the last 12yrs. It’s chocked fulla farts too, this morn my bedroom smelled like I slept in a construction site porta John.
And I just had another huge bowl for lunch.
Here’s the recipe as best as I can give;
2.25lbs deer/bacon burger browned & drained.
5 cans of diced or stewed tomatoes, with juice.
2 cans of dark kidney beans, drained.
2 cans Campbells pork & beans.
1/4 cup sugar
1 heaping tblsp crushed or chopped garlic.
1 lg sweet onion or 2 med sized ones.
1 of each - red, yellow, green peppers.
1/2 tsp each - cumin, Tyme, oregano.
1 heaping tblsp smoked paprika.
1/2 tsp each S&P
I used 1pk of chili seasoning to start off, it wasn’t enough seasoning. That’s why the other spices got added.
2 tblsp of your fav hot sauce. My fav is Boars Head.
Let cook down & get most of the water out of it.
Another reason they made gloves with the fold away trigger finger. Quick access for a gentle tug. Ask your favorite wiatress to help you out next time your at the cafe. Big fun...

Back straps cut to 6 inch lengths marinated in a mix of:

Soy sauce
Mustard
Garlic
Black pepper
Maybe some sriracha

Hard sear to medium rare, let rest, then slide into medallions.

Serve with roasted veggies and a starch like rice.
Rob do you have the amounts of these ingredients for this marinade? I would like to try this soon. TY

Rob do you have the amounts of these ingredients for this marinade? I would like to try this soon. TY
Sorry, I don’t have measurements. I actually kind of eyeball it every time. One thing I found helpful is to taste it as you’re mixing and adjust to suit your preference.

There’s nothing in that marinade you can’t taste raw and if it tastes good as marinade it’ll taste good as the finished product.

It’s surprisingly hard to screw up even if you’re way off on an ingredient or two.

Also, it works really well for flank/skirt steak

Sorry, I don’t have measurements. I actually kind of eyeball it every time. One thing I found helpful is to taste it as you’re mixing and adjust to suit your preference.

There’s nothing in that marinade you can’t taste raw and if it tastes good as marinade it’ll taste good as the finished product.

It’s surprisingly hard to screw up even if you’re way off on an ingredient or two.

Also, it works really well for flank/skirt steak
Its all good Rob, Thanks
I would taste it as I mix & I know to add ingredients sparingly until I get the flavor I want, I make marinades & dry rubs all the time.

My family likes my venison chili!
2lbs of venison burger with 1 onion and browned in cast iron skillet.
1 big jug of medium salsa. I use about 3/4 of the jug.
2 cans of dark red kidney beans.
2 cans of chili beans in chili sauce.
1 bottle of Cambells tomato juice.
Chili powder to your taste.
Add everything to 6 quart crockpot. Start on high until it starts boiling and then reduce to low setting. Cook for at least 12hrs.

I also can deer meat, but all I put in mind is a little salt but you could add anything you wanted to like onions or garlic. Normally you don't add water, but you could as far as I know, it seems to make its own juice. As far as I know on time, 45 minutes isn't enough, my books call for 90 minutes and at our attitude, I have to hold at least 11 pounds. 12 wouldn't hurt anything, tens a no no. I just went online and checked on length of cooking time, and the recommendation was 75 minutes for pints coma 90 minutes for quarts. I generally do mine in quarts, so that's probably why I use it but I do sometimes both together. 50 some years ago had and aunt, who was a nurse, tell me who always simmer them before you ate any, in a saucepan for 20 minutes or a frying pan.
Squint

Last edited:
A pressure canner is on my list of things to get, I want to start experimenting with canning meat/ fish and non acidic vegetables.

Heart attack on a plate.

Fry up bacon and strain the grease from the bacon. (save the bacon)
Add butter to the bacon grease and fry cubed venison in the mix
Seperately fry up onions, green pepper, mushrooms.
Now add the bacon back in with the venison, add sour cream, add the onions, peppers, and mushrooms.

Ladle over some egg noodles.

Make a big pot because it freezes nicely and is better after a few days.
Going to make it This week. Cant wait.

A pressure canner is on my list of things to get, I want to start experimenting with canning meat/ fish and non acidic vegetables.
Hi Rob. pressure canning is easy to do, I still have two of those old style canners like that fellow was using, the drawback to them is that you have to babysit them pretty constant to maintain temperature. There's a new one out available on Amazon and other places that is electric, and you just set it for what you want and it takes care of itself. There's two sizes that I know of, ones about a six quart and the other is a12. actually, second-hand stores and places like that also have them fairly reasonable, a new one like the old style I have are 75 dollars or better. That new Modern Electric one that you program is about 220. If I was buying Another one ,I would really consider it, we just happened to have the two we got. You do have to watch your gaskets and replace maybe every two years and you should have the gauge checked periodically, like by a home extension agent or figure out a way to do it yourself. it's important to maintain a high enough pressure.
Squint

Latest posts

Back