Is 60 grains of powder enough?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Montana Muzzleloader, I have taken personally probably somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 +/- elk in my life, and been involved in equally as many with friends. I do not believe folks who have never taken elk, or perhaps only a couple (where things went perfect) have the right to claim any experience with the toughness of an elk. Like yourself, I have seen what it’s like when things go wrong in an elk kill. Folks, they ain’t dead till they are dead!! I would refuse to use anything marginal for an elk.
Within this thread I hear about how the elk in the eastern US were decimated by light loads in PRB, and I absolutely believe that statement. What I don’t hear is of the vast numbers who survived the initial shot only to go off miles upon miles into the worst crap hole, died a slow death, and were “wasted”. I also know that deer ain’t elk. Comparing the two makes no sense, and at 40yds the OP’s load is more than enough. Lord knows I wouldn’t stand in front of it!
Walk
I agree there is no comparison between an Elk and a Deer. I think for ELK you should use a decent caliber, and commensurate load, that you can handle safely and will provide a margin of safety for taking an Elk cleanly. They are big, tough animals and using "enough gun" is never a bad idea, as long as you can handle it properly. IMHO

Too many people are stuck on how "they used to do it, back in the day". That is done and over, and I don't care how many shots it took from a 30-30, aka 30 WCF. The 60 g load will work for DEER in controlled conditions, I just hope that the youth has supervision advising when the conditions are correct. I would like to thank MM for sharing his story about the elk. I also wish to not thank the posts that tried to make this thread a pissing match, pardon the French.

I was at the range today and shot a 400 grain lead conical over a felt pad and 60 grains of swiss 2f. Group was good and recoil reasonably gentle for a prolonged shooting session. Any reason I need to go higher on the powder? Will 60 grains of powder generate enough energy to kill a deer at fifty yards? To be honest, I cannot see taking longer shots than that with these open sights until I feel WAY more confident. Also, shoutout to Eekjellander who cast the bullets!
>54 Hawken Cap lock , i shoot .65 gr by volume accurate and deadly out to 100 yds for me.Shot my 1st deer in 1981, still working today .And I shoot round ball.
Most of my kills were within 65 yds.

Too many people are stuck on how "they used to do it, back in the day". That is done and over, and I don't care how many shots it took from a 30-30, aka 30 WCF. The 60 g load will work for DEER in controlled conditions, I just hope that the youth has supervision advising when the conditions are correct. I would like to thank MM for sharing his story about the elk. I also wish to not thank the posts that tried to make this thread a pissing match, pardon the French.
I appreciate your reply. I was only trying to be helpful by sharing an experience I’m not proud of, but it happened & that can never be undone.

Average size of a whitetail doe is 100 Lbs/ Buck is 150Lbs

Average size of a cow elk is 530/ Bull is 730.

Not sure how a comparison can be made with an animal that is 5 times larger than what this thread is about to begin with.

Latest posts

Back