Just Like Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Triple Seven ff powder was loaded just like Blackhorn i.e. no swabbing between shots. Shot nine times. Powder charge was 78 weighed grain of 777. A poly wad was used each load. 250g Deep Curl bullet was sized to go down the barrel, to the powder, easily. Winchester large pistol primer finishes the load. No swabbing between shots.

Strong variable breeze.

IMG_5276.JPG

Very nice.
Spend time experimenting and find loads that work - powders are just propellants...lots of other variables are involved.
I’ve never had the need to shoot 777 as Swiss will shoot as accurate as BH209 for me.
Thanks

Last edited:
Excellent!
Since you are using Pistol primers, do you think that is helping with the crud ring thing? As in 209 primers are just too much extra junk in the breech?

It does seem the pistol primers help make it possible to reload without scrubbing required. It also seems sizing the bullets kinda loose, also is part of the answer to reloading without scrubbing. This also seems true for shooting sabot that seem kinda loose.

Success reloading without swabbing has been true for 92 shots, judging by how many primers are left in the nearly empty primer box. Not enough shots to be conclusive, but enough to suggest there may be a way to burn 777 powder without swabbing before reloading.

Success reloading without swabbing has been true for 92 shots, judging by how many primers are left in the nearly empty primer box.

Are you saying that you have fired 92 shots using T7 and NOT cleaned the gun? T7 is very corrosive. Perhaps your gun has been nitrided and withstands the corrosiveness?

Could be wrong. My theory is that if one shoots often enough it would prevent corrosion from setting in. In other words, assuming the bore isn’t exposed to extremely wet conditions, if the rifle is shot every day or two, rust would be unable to set up.
I could be wrong.

Gotcha. I didn't think you'd do T7 and not clean after each shooting session.

I would absolutely have to have zero BH209 available, before I would ever consider using anything with 777 on it again. In fact, I would probably just not hunt.
Thats great. Save the T7 for me. I get along with it just fine. I have 2 lb of bh209 downstairs. Im waiting for one of my Michigan buddies to pick up cause I have a pile of T7. Sounds like you are more of a center fire shooter.

If I had to hunt with blackhorn I would still hunt because I love to hunt. That being said if my gun misfired with blackhorn while hunting I would not be surprised one bit I have shot several pounds of 777 without a single misfire. I can’t say that for bh209. I haven’t even went thru one jug and I’ve had 4 misfires. I am loading correct cleaning the special 209 breechplug like I should and still it misfires it’s way too finicky for hunting for me I left my wolf loaded for 3 months during deer season and it went off like I’d just loaded it when I shot it last week I agree with snapbang.

Its good to see real tests on how to deal with or eliminate the crud ring. If it can be done with a pistol primer why cant they do it with a 209 primer. The WinT7 primers are very weak but wont eliminate it. So what are they missing?

On a side note ive seen a CVA QRBP conversion kit mentioned for sale using the Variflame modules. No idea if these will fit all CVAs that use the QRBP or if they only fit the new MR-X/LR-X.

Last edited:
only thing i dont care for about 777 is it will sieze up breech plugs if shot too many times w/o backing out plug, crud ring is no big deal when hunting if you need more then 2 shots time to quit anyway.. target shooting can swab every shot or every other shot every shot is best.

Try a moly based paste but in the CVAs that should not be a problem. Moly PASTE can be super messy though.

If I had to hunt with blackhorn I would still hunt because I love to hunt.
You and me both bamawoodsman if I had to figure out how to make my own powder so I could hunt I would do it. If I had to sharpen a stick to jump out of a tree and kill my deer I would do it. I will hunt. A jackknife, a stick with a stone tied to it, whatever it takes, I will hunt.

crud ring is no big deal when hunting if you need more then 2 shots time to quit anyway.
Thank you dbowling, well said.

....... how to deal with or eliminate the crud ring. If it can be done with a pistol primer why cant they do it with a 209 primer. The WinT7 primers are very weak but wont eliminate it. So what are they missing?.......

Hey Scott, the pistol primer does not eliminate the crud ring. Crud ring is still there. Crud ring is less with pistol primer than when using standard shotgun primers.

Bullets are easy to load with the lesser crud ring.

Latest posts

Back