Just Like Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're welcome. If you have any questions reach out and I'll do what I can.
I looked into it some and I thank you for the info but I'm set for now I gave the bh209 powder to a friend years ago and got my gun figured out with blowby. I looks like more work to preprime the modules and unprime I'm sure it's better for misfires and hang fires. I'm lazy it not you at all plus it's over 200.00 with shipping. Thanks for the information that's why I like this site

I looked into it some and I thank you for the info but I'm set for now I gave the bh209 powder to a friend years ago and got my gun figured out with blowby. I looks like more work to preprime the modules and unprime I'm sure it's better for misfires and hang fires. I'm lazy it not you at all plus it's over 200.00 with shipping. Thanks for the information that's why I like this site
I actually wouldn't recommend the LRMP conversion for any other powder but BH209. Triple 7 and others don't need the heat this conversion brings.

He simply wasn’t following the instructions by using the stock breech plug.

Also, in his haste, he neglected to re-seat the load after every misfire, and may someday damage his barrel, breech, face, neck, and/or hands. 😳
And if the load’s not properly seated, he still won’t get reliable accuracy results in the event the gun goes ‘big bang’.💥💨

Safe shootin’!

I am not saying this is the total answer for the seized breech plug but it is what I do and it works for me. One of the keys for success is the Breech Plug shelf in the barrel needs to be clean and not have gas cuts in the shelf.

Wrapping_a_Plug.jpg

This has worked for me for many many years....

But I have one one improvement I would also like to suggest...

This seems to be the strongest Teflon tape that I have been able to find

1-Blue-Monster.jpg

Another point I would like to emphasize is to double wrap the the nose of the plug and tap/push the excess down and into the nose of the plug.

3-Wrapped-Tapped.jpg

One of the keys in this application is to get a positive seal on the nose of the breech plug on the shelf in the bore. Another suggestion is tighten the plug to the shelf enough to press the tape tight but not so tight that you tear the tape.

This picture is older than the hills and I need to give Underclocked the credit for the illustration.

Breech-Plug-Sealing.jpg

When shooting a newly wrapped plug it is probably wise to touch off a couple of primers or caps to blow the excess tape out of the bore.
much thanks to ron for starting this thread and all who commented

SabotLoader thanks for showing the detail for using tape on breech plugs . i want to try tape because i don't like the mess i get with a stick or grease . i noticed you didn't mention/use oil after you wrap your BP but there are folks that do ? i was wondering why you don't ? do you find it unnecessary or had a problem or something else ? also thanks for sharing your powder results in post #46 .

i want to try tape because i don't like the mess i get with a stick or grease
Dont use tape on a QRBP. Spray light oil on the threads and wipe it off with a rag. That should be all you need on a CVA QRBP.

You especially want to avoid the nose of the QRBP. Probably a bad idea to wrap tape over that area because the way their plugs seal.

ballistol . can i wipe the oil off with a little cloth and keep it in a pill bottle and when it gets pretty moist just wipe the BP with it ? will loosening and snugging the BP with fingers every 10 or so shots still be a good idea if i'm punching paper ?

Back