Looking for Info

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightnut2000

Reaction score
Hello everyone I just acquired a CVA ACCURA V2 SS Thumb hole Stock and My question is has anyone been able to shoot conical's with good results? The rifling's look very shallow and I want to shoot conical's in this gun but not sure how it will perform with such type rifling's. Any info would be helpful Thank you

I've shot 420 NE and 395 home cast from my Accura v2. Both shot well at 50 yards on 80grW of BH209. I didn't work up a best load. I just wanted to know if they would shoot, and after deer season I'll tune something in.

Be my guess it will probably like pure lead conicals just fine . Just dont try to push em too fast and get them heavy , around 1300 to 1400 fps .White rifles have shallow grooves too and they are shooters designed for pure lead slip fit conicals with .001 or less dia. than bore size . Use a small hole gauge and mike it afterwards , then call bullshop. Good luck !!!! And dont forget to listen for the WOP !!!!

Bullshop bullets are very good quality. I think he will still make a 50cal 400gr or 420gr for under $50/100 shipped if you want something a little smaller. You dont need or want really heavy powder loads for conicals. 90gr of Triple7 is gunna be about the absolute max and normally less is better. Roughly 70-80gr by volume of BH209 if you want to try that but fit and sizing will be more critical with BH209. Swiss or Triple7 will go boom easier if the bullet is a tad too loose.

Thanks guys I was thinking on the 460gr NEX or the 440gr UC Shorts with BH 209 or even 3F T7 with a over powder wad. MOST of my hunting is 100 yds or less more like 75 and less in thick cover So do you think a longer or shorter conical may shoot better

The trick to BH209 and a conical is fit and a really good breach plug.

You want around .002 over lands and a tight fitting wad under it. Get some veggie wads and wool but get the wool in 54cal. Get the largest 50cal fiber/veggie wads you can find. Cant remember if its Walters or Sagebrush with the largest 50s. I would not go over 80gr of BH209 by volume just to stay on the safe side.

Just be aware, it could possibly meet some scrutiny with CVA. As of 2011 they did not recommend using over 400 grain lead conicals. Yet, you can shoot ALL weights of PowerBelt bullets, and there are 405 and 444 grain bullets that I know of. That may have possibly changed over the last 8 years?

Just my 2 cents. CVA sells PowerBelts, not all lead conicals. If you can shoot up to a 444 grain Pure Lead or Copper PowerBelts plus whatever the skirt weighs, then why not another lead conical under 444 grains with or without a wad??? Both Western Powders and CVA/PowerBelt have published recommended loads for 444 grain bullets with up to 100 Volumetric Grain charges of Blackhorn 209. I'm a big boy and can read between the lines. 80 VOLUMETRIC grains of Blackhorn 209 under a 430 or 440 (or 420) grain lead conical and a veggie wad will absolutely slobbernock a bull elk, or any deer.

See charts and load data in this thread.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/anyone-use-420ne-in-an-accura-v2.34235/

Sagebrush wads are the largest diameter .50 cal veggie wads @ 0.518" diameter. Also get the 0.060" thick ones instead of the 0."030 thick ones. It don't hurt to use two wads, as the second acts like a jam nut on the first, and it gives a much better seal from not only the elements, but for the powder ignition.

https://m.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/item/7209324/7463753.htm

Agree on the at least 0.001" - 0.002" over bore (lands) diameter. The next bore size wool wads work fine for all the other powders but with Blackhorn 209, not so much. Stick to the veggies by Sagebrush.

Here are some loads I shot out of a 1:28 twist NEF Huntsman with chrono speeds. I would keep things under the 444 grain in the CVA, so nobody should be complaining.

The 420 NE or 440 UC Shorts should both shoot excellent in your 1:28 twist rifle with 70-80 grains Blackhorn 209 by VOLUME. That is exactly where I would start and end. Just make sure to order them a couple thousandths over bore (lands) diameter.

ALL of my loads are by VOLUME. JUST KEEP YOUR BULLETS UNDER 444 GRAINS AND POWDER UNDER 100 GRAINS BY VOLUME.

003-5.jpg
029-1.jpg

Just for reference over 440 grain bullets.

003.jpg
002.jpg
004 (1).jpg

The 430 grain actually only weighs 415 with the boattail.
020 (1).jpg
021 (2).jpg

These are heavier bullets than CVA recommends, but the powder VOLUME is only 80 grains, while they recommend up to a .444 grain bullet over up to 100 grains by VOLUME.

022 (1).jpg
023 (1).jpg
024.jpg

FYI, No Excuses will size bullets up to .504" ish, as will Bullshop, when he is available.

Hope that helps.

Holly Cow Chips Mr Busta a lot of great info right there sir Thank you so much Bother I feel a lot better about this gun shooting my favorite ( Lead Conical's ) now ! I have always preferred big lead in the thick brush especially I love the way it just slam's anything it hit's :)

Holly Cow Chips Mr Busta a lot of great info right there sir Thank you so much Bother I feel a lot better about this gun shooting my favorite ( Lead Conical's ) now ! I have always preferred big lead in the thick brush especially I love the way it just slam's anything it hit's :)

You're welcome.

All of that was done and documented 10-11 years ago when Blackhorn 209 conical shooting was in it's infancy. No cherry picked groups, just what happened with the load the very first time they were shot. 70 - 80 grains by VOLUME is a pretty good window to be in.

Its solid to 125 yards. Should have more energy at 100 yards than a 44mag pistol at the muzzle. The bullet itself is very well suited to impacts under 1400fps and easily as low as 1000fps. Very comfortable to shoot also.

I purchased an Accura in .45 because of the faster twist. I was disappointed when the owner's manual didn't recommend anything over 400 gr. I emailed them, and they said :"You can use as heavy a projectile as you would like however, I have no experience firing a 500gr bullet in one of our muzzleloaders and cannot verify its stability at range."

I purchased an Accura in .45 because of the faster twist. I was disappointed when the owner's manual didn't recommend anything over 400 gr. I emailed them, and they said :"You can use as heavy a projectile as you would like however, I have no experience firing a 500gr bullet in one of our muzzleloaders and cannot verify its stability at range."
It will be beautiful !!! You can also shoot the same bullet the paramount does for long shots too !! Its truthfully a really nice rifle . A modern whitworth so to speak. The best cva has ever had in a break action IMO . Historically i havent cared for cva but they sure got my attention with these new ones !!!

Last edited:
You're welcome.

All of that was done and documented 10-11 years ago when Blackhorn 209 conical shooting was in it's infancy. No cherry picked groups, just what happened with the load the very first time they were shot. 70 - 80 grains by VOLUME is a pretty good window to be in.

I agree 70-80grs by volume is great. Now all I have to do is convince most of my hunting/shooting buddies. I guess us retired military folks think alike.

I agree 70-80grs by volume is great. Now all I have to do is convince most of my hunting/shooting buddies. I guess us retired military folks think alike.
Ya know , for starting that oversized big lead accurately as possible you might want to check out spin-jags straight line starter . Wish i could find something like that for my 410 white s91 . Its recessed crown is flat and pretty sharp so oversize conical with bh 209 is pretty impossible without one . Any ideas ??? How about knurled up to ovrtsize ??? I think youll appreciate that spin-jag a great deal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back