Mountaineer .45 1:20 twist barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like its coming together great! Are you using the disc extreme bolt that uses a c-tool or one of the later ones?

Elite bolt atm. I got a c-tool bolt around here too someplace.
Are you going to prep the bore before you shoot it with #0000 steel wool or White ultrafine scotchbrite ?? Another method ?? I like to be rid of tooling marks especialy on a new production barrel . Just curious ....

No. Knight uses a product called DynaTek BoreCoat and it needs to be shot to cure it. After its first outing i will give it a good scrubbing with Montana Xtreme Bore Polish or Copper Cream. ATM the bore appears to be .4505 or very close. This comes in very handy for someone with a bunch of .4505 expensive bullets and the new ones are .451-.4515. :p

Found my new Warnes low rings
Found my extra new bolt internals
Found 2 extra cheaper triggers and 1 is brand new
Found my TH composite that has been inlet for the forked lug

The TH stock is actually lighter than the Elite stock but i dont have a scale good enough for a accurate measurement. Not sure if my digital food scale goes that high. The TH has a higher comb too and larger barrel channel. The forearm is shorter though so im not sure which i will like better. At one time Knight sold a composite stock Mountaineer. They also sold a faux carbon fiber stock. Now that would look sharp for a composite. :D

No. Knight uses a product called DynaTek BoreCoat and it needs to be shot to cure it. After its first outing i will give it a good scrubbing with Montana Xtreme Bore Polish or Copper Cream. ATM the bore appears to be .4505 or very close. This comes in very handy for someone with a bunch of .4505 expensive bullets and the new ones are .451-.4515. :p

Found my new Warnes low rings
Found my extra new bolt internals
Found 2 extra cheaper triggers and 1 is brand new
Found my TH composite that has been inlet for the forked lug

The TH stock is actually lighter than the Elite stock but i dont have a scale good enough for a accurate measurement. Not sure if my digital food scale goes that high. The TH has a higher comb too and larger barrel channel. The forearm is shorter though so im not sure which i will like better. At one time Knight sold a composite stock Mountaineer. They also sold a faux carbon fiber stock. Now that would look sharp for a composite. :D
I remember that dyna coat !!! You can buy it and DIY . Do you like it ?? Glad you found your stash !!!

Never tried DynaTek before this barrel. Normally i would run 25-50 passes of JBs or MX Bore Polish before ever firing a new ML. This one will get conicals shot first with mildish loads of BH209 and then a good cleaning before i decide if it needs anything else.

Never tried DynaTek before this barrel. Normally i would run 25-50 passes of JBs or MX Bore Polish before ever firing a new ML. This one will get conicals shot first with mildish loads of BH209 and then a good cleaning before i decide if it needs anything else.
Smart , lead does a decent job . With tbat stuff in thefe what else could you do ???

You know , you and that rifle , sabotloader , encore50a , busta , and a few otbers are gonna get me in trouble dont ya ??? Santa was to SUPPOSEDLY already have come with that switch rig . NOW im starting to want ANOTHER TOY really bad !!!!! Like a 45 ....Geez it never ends.......

Ive been "enabled" on this board to probably close to the tune of $2000 by members. They can all rot in hell for it too. :p I will never forget the day the NULA came up for sale. I dont care for 50cals but someone had to poke me into it. I got that sucker at a bargain price and fell in love with its weight. Been on a quest for something similar in a 45cal ever since.

Im at the point now that if i end up liking this barrel i got something i can finally sell to recoup some cash.

Ive been "enabled" on this board to probably close to the tune of $2000 by members. They can all rot in hell for it too. :p I will never forget the day the NULA came up for sale. I dont care for 50cals but someone had to poke me into it. I got that sucker at a bargain price and fell in love with its weight. Been on a quest for something similar in a 45cal ever since.

Im at the point now that if i end up liking this barrel i got something i can finally sell to recoup some cash.
I like that logic approach.....maybe i'll try it . Nope , flew like the Hindenberg !!! (sigh)......IF you like it why sell it ??? They make BIGGER safes !!!!!! Lol , i know , earth to sideshow ....come in sideshow.....

You know , you and that rifle , sabotloader , encore50a , busta , and a few otbers are gonna get me in trouble dont ya ??? Santa was to SUPPOSEDLY already have come with that switch rig . NOW im starting to want ANOTHER TOY really bad !!!!! Like a 45 ....Geez it never ends.......

Oh it ends, kinda…………….. LOL

Oh it ends, kinda…………….. LOL
Well the moral of the story is---- tbey dont make pockets in caskets and the "Brinks" truck doesnt follow the hearse either !!!

Besides , he who dies with the most toys wins !!!

Well the moral of the story is---- tbey dont make pockets in caskets and the "Brinks" truck doesnt follow the hearse either !!!

Besides , he who dies with the most toys wins !!!

So they say, however I'd rather master one toy than be mediocre at a box full. ;)

Have an order of premium bullets supposed to arrive Thursday :elmer:

Need to talk Dino into making some .450s available knurled to .451 .452 and maybe .453. That would cover a huge amount of 45s and they would still shoot in sabots for 50s.

Need to talk Dino into making some .450s available knurled to .451 .452 and maybe .453. That would cover a huge amount of 45s and they would still shoot in sabots for 50s.
Just so happens 100 of them showed up a few days back :)
ST2's already sized ;)
I think if more with .50's shot them, they'd have a favorite "new bullet".

Gimme Gimme Gimme!!!!!

Ok here is a better look at the clearance between my bolt and the plug. Pretty obvious its the nose of the plug hitting the inner lip of the NFPJ adapter id say.
1UoMmQI.jpg

WiJVLgk.jpg

Slapped the Diamondback HP on it with the Warnes lows just to see....Yep its gunna work with room to spare for flip up caps. I can easily get comfy on the eye relief. I tested it in the middle of the magnification range on 7.5x and on 3x. Had a hard time with the Nikon Omega with its 5".
ex9vC4F.jpg

Di0rGf8.jpg

R6llVyM.jpg

Comparison of Elite stock and TH stock
t6RcT4J.jpg

EzpDpD1.jpg

wBoRY6i.jpg

Last edited:
I will never forget the day the NULA came up for sale. I dont care for 50cals but someone had to poke me into it. I got that sucker at a bargain price and fell in love with its weight.

I remember that day. I would like to kick the person that poked you into buying it. I missed it by something like 20 minutes. I remember what Chuck posted it for too. :wall:
Cried myself to sleep that night.
upload_2019-11-5_16-4-40.jpeg

Bestill spun a Brux on a Ulite and it weighed 7.5lbs. So that can be done also.

I own one of his ulite conversation now. It was 8lb 4oz scoped with a 3x9 conquest. I just sent it back to Jeff to switch over to LRMP and add a brake.
So, will be a little heavier but at 8lbs, a stout loaf would make your teeth rattle. Reason for the brake.

after talking to Jeff, I don’t think he would do another. Think he said the only reason he did originally, was because Knight wasn’t offering a fast twist 45, at the time.
Seemed to be a lot of work but it’s a sweet lightweight rifle that I can shoot smokeless or heavy doses of BH209 out off. I believe it will be my go to rifle when complete.

Chuck had this one special ordered. Heavier barrel and 26" of usable barrel.

It was 8lbs total with the VX-L scope. My scope only weighs 11oz
ULA .50 II..usable barrel-26.0 inches.. LOA-45.0 inches
ULA .50 II, Talley LW mounts, Leupold VX-L 3.5-10X50--8lbs

It will launch a 275gr BE 2442fps. So if you run the numbers, that is some stout recoil. I went back to shooting my little Barnes 225gr XPB instead after one season of that.

Back