Mountaineer .45 1:20 twist barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm excited to see the end result. The 1:20 barrel has been tempting me as well!!

Yes , face of the adapter touching the breech plug . If I remember correctly, there was one that I shortened the primer end of the breech plug, maybe.010.

By just looking at what i got...the bare primer bolt LOOKS like it will fix the problem. I prefer the NFPJ adapter though. You dont really need either one if you get one of the 209 loading tools. You can fire the 209 without the adapter or the bare primer bolt. It just wont extract the spent primer. If you get just the right fit a fired primer will pop right out without any tool. Knight used to sell a metal 209 tool.
132431596_amazoncom-knight-209-bare-conv-breech-plug-extension-lrh.jpg

CVA made one that was very similar.
cva-capper-extractor-tool-209-primers-ac1677.jpg

Last edited:
GM, was you using a Lehigh adapter?

The Mountaineer and Ultra light have a more 'beauty' bolt with the handle and swirls on the bolt body...

Yes, i tried 2 different Lehigh adapters. Even swapped them around in bolts.

Yeah, i thought one looked more fancy. DE bolts looked more basic.

The Mountaineer and Ultra light have a more 'beauty' bolt with the handle and swirls on the bolt body...
What is different about the ultralight and the mountaineer ? Looks like 3"of barrel and the stock .

Ultra Lite has a shorter and Lighter Contoured Barrel similar to the old Elite series.

I really do hope the put the 45 1 in 20 UL barrel out as a Kit too. Since I have a 50Ul it would be a no brainer for me.

What is different about the ultralight and the mountaineer ? Looks like 3"of barrel and the stock .

Stock is much lighter and has a bedding block. Might be made by B&C? Barrel is shorter but its also a much lighter contour. Even smaller than the older Knight Elite. I compared my barrel to a DISC Original 45. Main difference is its about 1" longer. They looked really close in OD. You wont save nearly as much weight with a 45 Ulite barrel unless you have the stock too. You wont gain much weight if swapping the Mountaineer barrel into a older 45cal Knight. I will put mine on a cheap scale later in an Elite stock. I think its actually heavier than a Knight TH composite.

Stock is much lighter and has a bedding block. Might be made by B&C? Barrel is shorter but its also a much lighter contour. Even smaller than the older Knight Elite. I compared my barrel to a DISC Original 45. Main difference is its about 1" longer. They looked really close in OD. You wont save nearly as much weight with a 45 Ulite barrel unless you have the stock too. You wont gain much weight if swapping the Mountaineer barrel into a older 45cal Knight. I will put mine on a cheap scale later in an Elite stock. I think its actually heavier than a Knight TH composite.
I have been wondering about this for awhile . I got a ss 700 ml to play with . Want a 45 bore . I dont think i can get the weight down far enough . The UL is expensive , but i like it . Dont know if i could get an older knight recontured or modernize the action like your doing ??? Kinda hate to have a shorter barrel but i dont know about the differences in those knight series of rifles . Weight is no doubt THE factor . Cost then performance after that . And i can always use a brake . Good to know that the parker BE fits well , this is the concept im after for bh209 . Thoughts ??? Advice ???

Last edited:
I am hugely biased about light rifles. I own a NULA 50cal that weighs in at 7lbs ready to hunt with a 26" Douglas tube. So i adore the weight reduction. A bare Elite 45 is about 8lbs. A bare Ulite 45 is around 6-6.5lbs. Just a little more than the Ulite 50cal probably.

You can get a Rem700 based build down to 8lbs bare but its gunna cost you. It would probably be easier with a Savage 16 light weight hunter action. Add a prefit barrel from ASG or Hankins, good stock and let her rip. Dont really even need a smith for the job if you got a couple tools.
savage-lw-hunter-receiver-032817.jpg

I am hugely biased about light rifles. I own a NULA 50cal that weighs in at 7lbs ready to hunt with a 26" Douglas tube. So i adore the weight reduction. A bare Elite 45 is about 8lbs. A bare Ulite 45 is around 6-6.5lbs. Just a little more than the Ulite 50cal probably.

You can get a Rem700 based build down to 8lbs bare but its gunna cost you. It would probably be easier with a Savage 16 light weight hunter action.
savage-lw-hunter-receiver-032817.jpg
I know the UL has the composite stock . The NULA as well . What about the rest , is that figured in also ??? I can see the route that youve taken . Should i just pay attention ??? I agree on LIGHT !!! Im gettin to be a fat old man LOL !!! A brake will be included on mine . I like power . Its gonna be a hunter first and formost , i dont mind a light one on the bench .

Last edited:
Cant buy a NULA M209 from Melvin anymore. There is one in the classified for $1800 but its not a fast twist. If you only plan to "smoke" the Ulite is the best deal going. You get it all in one package. Only really needs a better plug from Lehigh and those are cheap. When you start adding up parts you will be well over $1200 to make a CF bolt action get down to 8lbs. Highend light weight stocks are really expensive. I think the lightest prefit from ASG ends at .800 at the muzzle but its over an inch OD for 5" at the breach. That is still a very beefy barrel. Hankins has a complete kit with plug for $620 that ends at .700"

No matter which way you go you will have over $1500 in a CF bolt action build and its gunna weigh more than a Ulite. You can shoot much hotter loads but at the cost of several more pounds. Bestill spun a Brux on a Ulite and it weighed 7.5lbs. So that can be done also.

Cant buy a NULA M209 from Melvin anymore. There is one in the classified for $1800 but its not a fast twist. If you only plan to "smoke" the Ulite is the best deal going. You get it all in one package. Only really needs a better plug from Lehigh and those are cheap. When you start adding up parts you will be well over $1200 to make a CF bolt action get down to 8lbs. Highend light weight stocks are really expensive. I think the lightest prefit from ASG ends at .800 at the muzzle but its over an inch OD for 5" at the breach. That is still a very beefy barrel. Hankins has a complete kit with plug for $620 that ends at .700"

No matter which way you go you will have over $1500 in a CF bolt action build and its gunna weigh more than a Ulite. You can shoot much hotter loads but at the cost of several more pounds. Bestill spun a Brux on a Ulite and it weighed 7.5lbs. So that can be done also.
Ok. But from the original disc on up can be converted to use the plug you have ?? Is anything available with a .030 -- .032 bushing in them ? Starting to see the light (illumination) . Lol !!! UL may just be a whole lot less fuss , IF i cant tweak an older one . Ive got an A--bolt build going on now with a Bartlein barrel AND with the B.O.S.S. system in 300 win mag /45 Raptor switch rig . Im weighing out my mz options now for a future project after that cf is done .

Last edited:
Super DISC needs a plug and bolt for the Extreme or Elite. Bestill bushing pug is the best if he still has some. Those are $80 sized and shipped. $70ish DIY.
So...
Lehigh plug and NFPJ adapter $31...$22 more for 4 extra vents plus $7.95 shipping
Extreme bolt kit from Knight is about $160 but you can probably find one online cheaper or used on an auction site.
IF Knight will sell you the Ulite stock you should save over a pound in weight.
The harder part is the trigger. The Super DISC has the older cheap version of the Vehr trigger. Dont think they ever sold with the fully adjustable 3 screw and Knight wants $160 or more for the Timney.

Super DISC needs a plug and bolt from the Extreme or Elite. Bestill bushing pug is the best if he still has some. Those are $80 sized and shipped. $70ish DIY.
So...
Lehigh plug and NFPJ adapter $31...$22 more for 4 extra vents plus $7.95 shipping
Extreme bolt kit from Knight is about $160 but you can probably find one online cheaper or used on an auction site.
IF Knight will sell you the Ulite stock you should save over a pound in weight.
The harder part is the trigger. The Super DISC has the older cheap version of the Vehr trigger. Dont think they ever sold with the fully adjustable 3 screw and Knight wants $160 or more for the Timney.
Your replies are MUCH appreciated !!! Your expertise as well !!! Thank you kindly.....

Last edited:
I put one of Bestill's Plugs in my UL as soon as I saw them. It is the cat's meow! If they ever put out the Ul barrel as a kit for sale it will get one of his plugs in it too.

Aside from the bushing lasting a super long time......The powder side is not machined out to 50cal like the Lehigh plug. I REALLY wish Lehigh would redo the powder side to 45cal. It would be fine in a 50cal or 45cal without snaggin a patch sometimes. Its not a huge issue but it is annoying if doing a quick swab before heading home from the range or camp.

The Bestill bushing plug (left) wont leave a lip at the end of a 45cal barrel. The jag just hits the face of the plug instead of going IN the plug. Once its IN the plug the patch can catch the end of the barrel in a 45.
56dJBMp.jpg

Last edited:
Back