Never Seize With Blackhorn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
Are you guys greasing your breechplugs with Blackhorn? I'm using the NFPJ breech plug in a new Extreme MH with a light coating of Never Seize. My plug wants to loosen up and back out after about 8-10 shots.

I think that's a good thing! I'd rather tighten my breech plug every once in a while than struggle to break it free after 20 shots. :D

I use the pink teflon tape , the threads stay spotless and the plug never gets stuck .

UtahRob said:
I use the pink teflon tape , the threads stay spotless and the plug never gets stuck .

DITTO! :wink: I think my greasing days are over. :D

Busta,

Are you using the Tape on your Knights with the BH209? Where are you guys getting the Tape?

Thanks,

ShawnT

There are several different colors which are different thicknesses some of which you can get at a good hardware store. [thats why they mention the color that works for them] Lee

ShawnT said:
Busta,

Are you using the Tape on your Knights with the BH209? Where are you guys getting the Tape?

Thanks,

ShawnT

I buy the pink Oatey's Waterline PTFE Tape at Lowes. It used to be made in the USA, but is now made in China. :x You can tell the diference too, the China tape is not as good, and I am not just saying that, it really sucks. If you can still find some MADE IN USA tape at a hardware store, stock up because it really is better quality. It is hard to keep the China tape from tearing on the threads in the Knights. I didn't notice it was made in China until I got home and held it next to one of my old rolls.

The white stuff works too, you just need something in there to seal the threads. You don't need anti-sieze, and BH209 will push your grease out the back.

I really think you could get by without anything on your threads using BH209, but I want to seal the threads to promote better ignition.

Thanks! I saw some at Home Depot yesterday that was yellow for Gas lines but no Pink. I had thought someone said once that the pink was for higher Temps, but I' not sure. I will check here at Lowes and at an Ace Hardware and see what they have. I have always used the Knight Grease on mine.

ShawnT

No tape and no problems here. Just using a little Gorilla Grease.

I still use a light coat of grease so far it works just fine I never tried tape on the Triumph, I am not sure it work work with interupted threads.
The compression rings do a good job on it no blow back no breach plug problems;BH209 works quite well in it to [and that may be the understatement of the year] I tried tape on theon the Omega it worked but the grease works fine with no problem and seems easier for me. Lee

I asked about the tape because like Busta, I too have noticed some of the grease gets pushed back on the first couple shots even with tightening the plug with a wrench. I run it in snug and then just give it a good bump to make sure it is tight. Otherwise I too have had no problems going in or out with a little of the Knight grease.

ShawnT

Light coat of CLP on barrel threads and white teflon on bone dry plug,
no problems after 3 range sessions with BH (omega)

Latest posts

Back