New CVA “Paramount” Long Range Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not fond of the stock but I am an OLD classic style lover. In fact, both my Knight MK 85's are stocked in English walnut in the classic mode.

Bill

I don’t know if I’d call it butt ugly, but I can’t say I’d call it pretty. If I could throw a different stick and a ramrod on it then we’d be in business. Call me crazy but I don’t think they really geared it towards the hunting crowd. I think there’s a growing trend towards muzzleloaders that never make it past the bench. Certainly nothing wrong with that just not my personal cup of tea.

Any Rem700 SA stock should fit the Paramount or fit with very minimal work. That is assuming you start with a barrel channel that is large enough. The action is super similar to a Rem700.

That definitely makes it much more appealing though I’m still not sure that I’ll run out and buy one right away.

Put a nice walnut stock on it and it would be a pretty nice looking gun, not a real big synthetic stock fan anyway like the look and feel of wood just not many muzzys offered with it anymore.

I sure dont want this to sound like im down on them. This is a very serious attempt at what might be a fine bench rifle. I already have something that fits that bill though so its just not my cup of tea. You could probably drop the barreled action into a $150 B14 Hunter stock no problemo other than maybe opening up the barrel channel. There is roughly a $300 difference in cost between a B14 Hunter and B14 HMR stock. Weight difference between those 2 stocks is pretty noticeable if you just compare rifle weights.

My biggest concern is the "self head spacing" bolt setup and those Variflame LRMP adapters. Guys who used them for Savage MLII type builds were not exactly thrilled with them. I just dont see how they are going to seal as well as the Hankins and ASG type LRMP modules.

It appears they want to provide an adjustable stock. Anytime you can adjust the LOP and raise or lower the cheek piece to fit each individual, it makes a significant difference. The old standard LOP of 13.5" just isn't right for everyone.
I've never been much of a CVA fan, but I certainly hope they produce a great rifle with this. Heck, someone send me one, I'll shoot it ;)

Back