pedersoli rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Oklahoma.
I have no experience with Pedersoli rifles but from reading different posts, they seem to be very good overall.

I own 5 Pedersoli rifles & 1 Lyman (Pedersoli made). I haven't shot the Lyman and might not since it may become a collectors item.

The Lyman is basically a Pedersoli rifle. It looks and feels like a Pedersoli. In fact, if I didn't look at the barrel, I wouldn't have known it was a Lyman. Pedersoli has their version of the "Plains Rifle" called the "Traditional Hawken Hunter." It looks more like a rifle made for another company than the Lyman does.

From what I've heard at the gun shop, if Pedersoli could have kept up with production, Lyman would have stayed in the market.

I contacted the Italian Firearms Group, who are the U.S. importers for most Italian made weapons, and they told me Pedersoli can not obtain the quantity of raw materials needed for sustained full production of any of the rifles

I own a few and haven't had a problem with any of them. Nice quick ignition.
I'm going to order another here shortly. Like tonight.
I better get that order in ;)

I have the Scout rock sparker, it was a kit i built. Seems all here have had good products. If i were to base my judgement on the one i have, i would never ever buy another

My pedersolis are the best guns I own .
I have to say the quality of the Pedersoli rifles is superior to the others.

In my very humble opinion, they are the best mass produced rifles there are in production today. I say, massed produced to differentiate them from a hand made rifle with one of a kind barrel.

My Pedersoli "Traditional Hunter Hawken" doesn't seem to be all that. It's a .50 with a 1:24 twist. It's probably meant to shoot sabots, but I shoot Great Plains Bullets through it.

On the other hand, my Rocky Mountain Hawken, is a dream. I bought it to shoot PRBs and it does great.

I have a Mortimer Target Flintlock, in .54 for PRBs. It is at least a step better than the Rocky Mountain Hawken.

My newest is the Gibbs .45. I've had it to the range twice so far this year. This is the one I want to get everything right; Powder, charge, bullet and hopefully, the shooter is up to the task.
The Gibbs seems to be the best of the bunch. It's a step or two higher than the rest. This is the true competition rifle.

Thank you everyone for the responses.i have a older pedersoli made in the 80s that I converted to flintlock.it shoots great .my main concern was getting parts.i had a devil of a time getting a lock from pedersoli to convert mine.

I have to say the quality of the Pedersoli rifles is superior to the others.

In my very humble opinion, they are the best mass produced rifles there are in production today. I say, massed produced to differentiate them from a hand made rifle with one of a kind barrel.

My Pedersoli "Traditional Hunter Hawken" doesn't seem to be all that. It's a .50 with a 1:24 twist. It's probably meant to shoot sabots, but I shoot Great Plains Bullets through it.

On the other hand, my Rocky Mountain Hawken, is a dream. I bought it to shoot PRBs and it does great.

I have a Mortimer Target Flintlock, in .54 for PRBs. It is at least a step better than the Rocky Mountain Hawken.

My newest is the Gibbs .45. I've had it to the range twice so far this year. This is the one I want to get everything right; Powder, charge, bullet and hopefully, the shooter is up to the task.
The Gibbs seems to be the best of the bunch. It's a step or two higher than the rest. This is the true competition rifle.
How about a range report on the Gibbs?? X

I am going to try n expand my post earlier. My Scout looks nice, the bbl seems to shoot accurately at least at 25 yds. Period correct is not my thing but function is. Thats is the only part of mine thats the pits. I have trying to work through the issues of its Flint-Lock. Prior to my polishing n filing on Frizzen spring n clean up of it. Its big thing was breaking Flints as fast as you could pull the trigger. When i did get it to fire, it would with my part ragged one hole at 25 yds. Have not gotten to shoot it since doing my bit of work. Weather has been the pits here for over a month now

Now that you mention it, I should lighten the spring in my Brown Bess.
The frizzen is a real pain to rock back and is probably why my new flint only lasted ten shots.

How about a range report on the Gibbs?? X
I've been out twice with the Gibbs and one of my T/C Renegades at 2 different ranges.

I started at 60 yrds to get my horizontal windage. The 2 days I've been to the range have been windy. I'll have to get over that. There are no perfect days here in PA.

I have the rifle on paper at 100yds, but not tight. I used PP & Greased with 60 gr by vol. of Swiss 3F, 2F & 1.5F. (Out of respect, I used bullets someone sent me. I wanted his bullets to be the first fired out of my rifle). I wanted to see how the rifle reacted to the different powders. Also, this is the first time I can remember using Swiss. I previously used Goex in my Mississippi rifle and Pyrodex in all of my other rifles.

My starting point to find a load is 60gr and I will work it up from there. Some on this forum told me the loads they use and the loads vary. Also. I found shooters use all 3 grain types. I will probably stick with 1.5Fg.

I'm also finding, it's a pain to clean. I probably wouldn't have thought that way, but now, I'm aware of the patent breech and I'm trying my best to keep it clean.

Please understand, this is the first time I shot a real Long Range muzzleloading rifle and I want to get it right.

Since I am now working on a load, I would like some advice on how to do it. I have never done this with such a precision rifle. I have the Mortimer and it seemed easy. It shoots PRBs with a wide load range and that was with Pyrodex. (I have to admit, I wasn't aware of the patent breech on the Pedersoli rifles, so ignorance was bliss).

My buddy has been building guns from scratch for years and I just told him about the patent breech today. And besides his customs I know he has a Traditions and a Pedersoli.
But he never shoots them anyway, lol.

A Kentucky rifle in .32
There are so many rifles I want to buy. I need to win the lottery; However, If I were meant to win, it would have already happened.

I saw a used Pedersoli Kentucky rifle at the gun shop yesterday. It was beautiful. This one was tiger striped. Are they all that way? Alas, I don't have the money for one.

I didn't realize until this thread started, the rifles I wish to purchase sometime in my life, are all Pedersoli.
The 1861 Springfield .58
The Whitworth .451 hex.
The Country Hunter perc. .50

I need to learn how to shoot well, what I already have, before I buy another.

I wanted a smaller caliber. Not necessarily that small. A 36 would have been perfect. But we'll see how she does.

Latest posts

Back