PERSONAL HOBBIES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I retired I did all kinds of odds and ends as gifts because I was too cheap to buy for folks. The pipes I have done, 3, are with friends and family. Wouldn't know what to charge. I have started on one traditional one recently but I'm slowed some because I'm trying to get a shop built for my work. This is the last pipe I did. An owl. I have done a bear effigy and a traditional too. If your serious let me know and I'll see what we can work out. Thanks for asking. Terry [email protected] View attachment 1664View attachment 1665View attachment 1666
Wished i could afford one,that right there is at least a 300.00 pipe..I made one from a badger skull once,drilled a hole in the top of his head,took an old car antenna and extended it down to the stem after i took the antenna apart,which i made from an old oak cane,cut the hook off went to a lumber store they sliced it in half for,the lowed the blade made a groove in each side then glued it back together,stuck it in the rear of the skull,marked where the hollow antenna would hit,drilled the hole in the stem i now had,left the antenna sticking above the noggin a bit and got some clay from hobby shop that hardens when you heat in the oven,shaped a bowl and pulled the screen out of the kitchen sink facet made a deer antler mouthpiece,wrapped in rattlesnake skin and rabbit fur,hung a nice set of beads and claws under the stem Wala badger skull pipe and it worked like a champ..I was driving country roads one day found the badger dead on the side of the road,looked like he had been there at least three summers and the sun did all the work as far as bleaching and such dry as a bone ya might say..My uncle thought i was crazy,but he came by the house one day and he smoked a pipe and stuck some cherry blend in it and it smoked nice..I sold it at a yard sell for 75.00 wish i had it now for my western man cave.

Attachments

• 71111048_10220517901927242_4039486496451854336_n.jpg
    71111048_10220517901927242_4039486496451854336_n.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 16
Awsome pipe!!! The pipe stone is what costs as the dig it by hand,do you wax you pipe stone?
I'm not allowed to dig myself due to no proof of Native American blood. You have to be Native American to quarry. However, I am allowed to purchase it and that can be costly. I was fortunate enough to meet a member of the Sioux tribe that allowed me sit with him and talk about carving and building and after that I was hooked. I love it so I don't mind spending a little bit. And I stay as traditional as possible. I use bees wax for polish with a soft cotton cloth. No power tools are used.

Wished i could afford one,that right there is at least a 300.00 pipe..I made one from a badger skull once,drilled a hole in the top of his head,took an old car antenna and extended it down to the stem after i took the antenna apart,which i made from an old oak cane,cut the hook off went to a lumber store they sliced it in half for,the lowed the blade made a groove in each side then glued it back together,stuck it in the rear of the skull,marked where the hollow antenna would hit,drilled the hole in the stem i now had,left the antenna sticking above the noggin a bit and got some clay from hobby shop that hardens when you heat in the oven,shaped a bowl and pulled the screen out of the kitchen sink facet made a deer antler mouthpiece,wrapped in rattlesnake skin and rabbit fur,hung a nice set of beads and claws under the stem Wala badger skull pipe and it worked like a champ..I was driving country roads one day found the badger dead on the side of the road,looked like he had been there at least three summers and the sun did all the work as far as bleaching and such dry as a bone ya might say..My uncle thought i was crazy,but he came by the house one day and he smoked a pipe and stuck some cherry blend in it and it smoked nice..I sold it at a yard sell for 75.00 wish i had it now for my western man cave.
Looks like you stay pretty busy according to the pic you posted. I do a lot of the stuff you do, like the hat band. I do the chokers too. By the way, I was offered $450 for the pipe and turned it down. Gave it to my son for his birthday a few years ago. Going to have to go back to Minnesota for more stone one of these days.

I like your custom burn work on the calls. Nice artistic touch. 👍
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. At one time I made an "attempt" to carve miniature game, but moved onto wood burning custom chess boards. I was always fascinated though with the wild turkey. Here's one of my early wood carvings I kept. Its 3.5" tall.
TFdSxRB.jpg

4mFBOdB.jpg
ADDENDUM...
I was never the construction carpenter my father was, but he left me a hankerin' for wood crafts.
Got CHESS...?

1IX4ieK.jpg

Here's another craft I hope to "resurrect" in my retirement years. I make custom Chess Boards. This particular Poplar board is 24 inches in diameter with 2 inch squares.
nrnGMWe.jpg

I didn't make the pieces, but this set was paired with 3.75 inch Kings made of Indian Rosewood.
bwCrFmg.jpg

7XzrLmO.jpg

kT1twan.jpg

tbsYNfH.jpg

0ZaTr3k.jpg

qo8Ms9x.jpg

ItNlco3.jpg

Feel free to stop by anytime with your peace pipe and we'll go into battle! 🐴

I guess these would be somewhat "impersonal" I'm going to hoop some of my beaver hides ( soon as I learn how) the neighbor lady painted on for me, to sell. She's a trip, 61 yrs old, long gray hair and travels the country as a guitar player in a Rock N Roll band!.

Attachments

• P2080001.JPG
    P2080001.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 17
  • P2080003.JPG
    P2080003.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 18
  • P2120004.JPG
    P2120004.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 18
  • P1240003.JPG
    P1240003.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 16
ADDENDUM...
I was never the construction carpenter my father was, but he left me a hankerin' for wood crafts.
Got CHESS...?

1IX4ieK.jpg

Here's another craft I hope to "resurrect" in my retirement years. I make custom Chess Boards. This particular Poplar board is 24 inches in diameter with 2 inch squares.
nrnGMWe.jpg

I didn't make the pieces, but this set was paired with 3.75 inch Kings made of Indian Rosewood.
bwCrFmg.jpg

7XzrLmO.jpg

kT1twan.jpg

tbsYNfH.jpg

0ZaTr3k.jpg

qo8Ms9x.jpg

ItNlco3.jpg

That is a beautiful work of art! Do you happen to make these? Years ago I bought my son a Revolutionary War chess set. However, this one is tops. Nice work.

That is a beautiful work of art! Do you happen to make these? Years ago I bought my son a Revolutionary War chess set. However, this one is tops. Nice work.
Glad you liked it...much appreciated :)
I did make chess boards years ago and gave them away as gifts. The art objects on them can be consuming, so I haven't found the time yet to start-up another project board.

I guess these would be somewhat "impersonal" I'm going to hoop some of my beaver hides ( soon as I learn how) the neighbor lady painted on for me, to sell. She's a trip, 61 yrs old, long gray hair and travels the country as a guitar player in a Rock N Roll band!.
The Indian headdress is my favorite :thumbs up:

Here's a new twist: Wet wash cloth, wipe, rinse wash cloth, through in washer and reuse!

C'mon, a LOT of us are old enough to remember and have used "diaper pails" ... For you kids, those were used in the days before disposable diapers. ;)

And, who can forget the 'ring of diapers' adorning the toilet bowl? :eek:

Glad you liked it...much appreciated :)
I did make chess boards years ago and gave them away as gifts. The art objects on them can be consuming, so I haven't found the time yet to start-up another project board.
Let me know when you ever make another.. fine piece of art work!!

ADDENDUM...
Got CHESS...?

1IX4ieK.jpg

nrnGMWe.jpg

bwCrFmg.jpg

7XzrLmO.jpg

kT1twan.jpg

tbsYNfH.jpg

0ZaTr3k.jpg

qo8Ms9x.jpg

ItNlco3.jpg

Very nice!!!

C'mon, a LOT of us are old enough to remember and have used "diaper pails" ... For you kids, those were used in the days before disposable diapers. ;)

I'm "old enough ". I do recall my generation where "diaper pails" preceeded "disposables ".

Cloth diapers in short supply these days. However, Hell's Fire Pizza gives a roll of TP with each pizza you buy!🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕

Looks like you stay pretty busy according to the pic you posted. I do a lot of the stuff you do, like the hat band. I do the chokers too. By the way, I was offered $450 for the pipe and turned it down. Gave it to my son for his birthday a few years ago. Going to have to go back to Minnesota for more stone one of these days.
I think you can buy and have it shipped,i have two friends that live there,ST.Cloud and Mankato.You have to be Native to dig it..
Sounds familiar that gal.. Look up Paulette Galeener on Facebook she has a hide tanning page..
Cloth diapers in short supply these days. However, Hell's Fire Pizza gives a roll of TP with each pizza you buy!🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕
Go to a place called tophatter.com you bid fast and can buy in bundles,better than going to the store!

I think you can buy and have it shipped,i have two friends that live there,ST.Cloud and Mankato.You have to be Native to dig it..

Sounds familiar that gal.. Look up Paulette Galeener on Facebook she has a hide tanning page..

Go to a place called tophatter.com you bid fast and can buy in bundles,better than going to the store!
I live about 140 miles from Springs so I'll just go with the flow. Since we live out in the mountains, my pantry and freezers have always been stocked for whatever comes down the road. Mom & dad taught us to be self sufficient. Thanks SR

I live about 140 miles from Springs so I'll just go with the flow. Since we live out in the mountains, my pantry and freezers have always been stocked for whatever comes down the road. Mom & dad taught us to be self sufficient. Thanks SR
Same here my folks were dust bowlers

ADDENDUM...
Got CHESS...?

1IX4ieK.jpg

nrnGMWe.jpg

bwCrFmg.jpg

7XzrLmO.jpg

kT1twan.jpg

tbsYNfH.jpg

0ZaTr3k.jpg

qo8Ms9x.jpg

ItNlco3.jpg

Man that is the nicest chess set i ever saw..I don't play,but my dad and brother did,i was more of a checkers guy wish i could get that for my brother.I have some burning of Buffalo on my 45 CVA rifle that is very nice work

ADDENDUM...
Got CHESS...?

1IX4ieK.jpg

nrnGMWe.jpg

bwCrFmg.jpg

7XzrLmO.jpg

kT1twan.jpg

tbsYNfH.jpg

0ZaTr3k.jpg

qo8Ms9x.jpg

ItNlco3.jpg

You should make and aggravation board.id buy one of those,used to have a double aggravation board,but took forever the play the dang thing

Back