PERSONAL HOBBIES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should make and aggravation board.id buy one of those,used to have a double aggravation board,but took forever the play the dang thing
I have never played Aggravation, so I don't think I could be inspired enough to make a board a connesour would truly appreciate. I've made custom miniature chess sets (pieces and board), but a chess board like the one I posted will have 15-20 hours into it.

Aside from my banjo, I have another hobby: large scale model aircraft. Years ago, I built several from kits, but now I mostly collect plastic and metal die cast models. All that is required to set them up is to pop on the wings, horizontal stabilizers, wheels and weapons loads. They already are painted.
F6F Hellcat ceilingmd2sm.JPG
Navy WW II aircraft 2sm.JPG
Corsair on Ceilingcrpmd.jpg
P471-18 -modsm.jpg
AIrcraft Home 1-16 B17-24sm.JPG
AIrcraft Home 1-16 (4)Corsair Dauntlesssm.JPG
AIrcraft Home 1-16 (7)mdsm.JPG
Ron

Aside from my banjo, I have another hobby: large scale model aircraft. Years ago, I built several from kits, but now I mostly collect plastic and metal die cast models. All that is required to set them up is to pop on the wings, horizontal stabilizers, wheels and weapons loads. They already are painted.
View attachment 1746
View attachment 1747
View attachment 1748
View attachment 1749
View attachment 1750
View attachment 1751
View attachment 1754
Ron
VERY nice collection of prop planes!👍
My father spent the better part of his life on the small aircraft assembly line. One such aircraft Model...the historic PIPER CUB... hangs in my house as a rememberance.
z5EGRC0.jpg

Last edited:
More painted stuff. The mirror and painting on the agate slab are my work. The skulls are more of my neighbor's work ( skulls, 2 bobcats, one beaver and one badger,all for sale) Mossie ,out- here.

Attachments

• P4120001.JPG
    P4120001.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 12
  • P4120004.JPG
    P4120004.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P4120002.JPG
    P4120002.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 14
  • P4120003.JPG
    P4120003.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 14
More painted stuff. The mirror and painting on the agate slab are my work. The skulls are more of my neighbor's work ( skulls, 2 bobcats, one beaver and one badger,all for sale) Mossie ,out- here.
That mirror is way cool.. Check out my deer skull.i took him in northern Nevada close to Idaho,i knew an artist lady that did skull painting at the coast here in California she was a native gal her shop was Two Hands Gallery at least 25 years ago been hanging up there since then,i found a slab of redwood to mount it on and painted it myself just a symbol of dots.

Attachments

• 61605091_10219549944888921_2668625685387411456_o.jpg
    61605091_10219549944888921_2668625685387411456_o.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 11
An Item on my bucket list DONE!
Had this cutout since last summer so I've finally had time to finish it lately. Made to go on the end of my small shop towards the street BUT, I'm afraid the summer's hot sun will deteriorate it much to quickly for the amount of effort I've invested. 13 stars, 13 olives to represent the orig colonies much like the great seal of the United States. Now on to browning my new 54 cal switch barrel for my 50 cal H&A UH, then a new AR A2 build. Damn I'm TOOOOOO busy with all of this stay at home time LOL..Mossie, out here

Attachments

• P4160013.JPG
    P4160013.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 20
  • P4160014.JPG
    P4160014.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 19
Had this cutout since last summer so I've finally had time to finish it lately. Made to go on the end of my small shop towards the street BUT, I'm afraid the summer's hot sun will deteriorate it much to quickly for the amount of effort I've invested. 13 stars, 13 olives to represent the orig colonies much like the great seal of the United States. Now on to browning my new 54 cal switch barrel for my 50 cal H&A UH, then a new AR A2 build. Damn I'm TOOOOOO busy with all of this stay at home time LOL..Mossie, out here
Boy that is awsome!! Very nice job,i just got a silver ring with the same symbol..Thanks for sharing,wishe i had one.!!

3/4" planed local pine wood, glad you folks like it

👍The Eagle would be a great piece of work for the public to admire. Perhaps consider mounting it on a post with a little roof to keep the sun off it.:)

One characteristic that modellers enjoy is detail. Some of the largest model aircraft have outstanding detail - cockpit instruments, worn off paint, black carbon from the exhausts on the fuselage, etc. Here is an SBD Dauntless dive bomber cockpit for pilot and rear gunner:

Douglas SBD Dauntless cockpit (9)modsm.JPG

Not only is there accurate instrument panel detail, the paint is worn off showing the aluminum under the blue paint.

The rear gunner:
Douglas SBD Dauntless cockpit (4)sm.JPG

Here you can see the paint worn off where the pilot and gunner step while entering the aircraft.
Some more paint wear on the wing:
Douglas SBD Dauntless cockpit (11)modsm.JPG

Ron

Wow very nice

One characteristic that modellers enjoy is detail. Some of the largest model aircraft have outstanding detail - cockpit instruments, worn off paint, black carbon from the exhausts on the fuselage, etc. Here is an SBD Dauntless dive bomber cockpit for pilot and rear gunner:

View attachment 1807

Not only is there accurate instrument panel detail, the paint is worn off showing the aluminum under the blue paint.

The rear gunner:
View attachment 1808

Here you can see the paint worn off where the pilot and gunner step while entering the aircraft.
Some more paint wear on the wing:
View attachment 1809

Ron
How about some sounds and special effects? Try this website you'll be amazed. Go Extraordinary, Bring your Replicas to Life with Lights and Sound from Starling Technologies.

Cool site!
I couldn't find any WWII aircraft sound effects, but I could make the models sound like "Star Trek" or "Forbidden Planet."
Their Sci-Fi models have remarkable details! Fortunately, many of my display models have much of the detail already present. I don't have the patience to do all of it myself.
Ron

A friend sent me a link to youtube that shows a retired Canadian building full size replica WWll airplanes from recycled material. It is hard to believe they are not the real thing!

My hobby has been spending time exploring the great outdoors and watching wildlife. I also have made noise with a guitar for 60 years and played most brass instruments in my younger days.
ps.....My wife claims I "hooked" her when I played the guitar and sang the original version of "Ghost Riders" over the phone!

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind that I am resurrecting this thread.

My car radio is set to receive Sirius' Big Band channel "40's Junction." My CD collection includes titles by Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, Harry James and more. These are the guys who should lead the political campaigns to attract the "Swing" voters.:rolleyes:

Some 36-40 years ago, I played clarinet and sax in a 22 piece amateur Swing Band in the Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. area. That was the most fun I ever had in music! In the 60's, I played in Rock and Roll bands for extra money in college.
I have had the urge to start playing sax again, but had not touched a sax in about 40 years. A trip to Sax Alley in Windsor, CO, brought me face to bell with a 1928 Beuscher True Tone tenor sax. It looked like it had barely been played in 92 years! It nestled in the case with a desiccant and 3m anti-tarnish strips. It looked as new as a 92 year sax could possibly be. The darn thing followed me home.

My banjo objected strenuously to the new visitor, but I ignored its pleas. I've been playing it an hour or so a day since bringing it home. My skills are slowly coming back, but it is faster than I had anticipated.
Moonglow, Misty, Desanfinado, Harlem Nocturne, Jumping at the Woodside, Begin the Beguine (what the heck is a Beguine??), Blues in the Night... This is great fun!
How about all the Astronomy songs: Fly me to the moon, Stardust, Moon over Vermont, Blue Moon, Swingin' on a Star, Stars in Your eyes, The Sun in the morning and Moon at Night, etc.
Here's the sax:
Buescher True Tone 1927 Gold Plate 6-25-20.JPG
Ron

As a young guy I played in several bands, from country to rock and folk. I played either a guitar or an upright bass, I really dig the upright bass. I would still be playing music except for LOFT; Lack Of F%#*@^& (you may put in your own word) Talent. But this soon became my lifetime love.
download-17.jpg

main-qimg-7c67de353e011bafa8ad078f3189e588.jpg

I absolutely (heaven forgive me) love hitting people; I also love twisting & locking their joints and slamming them on the ground.
images-31.jpg

Latest posts

Back