PURE Lead VS 20-1 Alloy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that's exactly what Doc said 2% Tin was used in their bullets. Question is does that make it 40-1? I've seen some game harvested with White's bullets and they expanded just fine. Maybe they did not expand as much as Pure Lead, but they did its job.
I THINK im right Ed . Lewis probably knows for sure .....

Here are a couple of pictures of a White Power Punch bullet that I recovered from the first buck I shot with my at the time first White ML. At the time my first White was a 504 M97 and I was shooting the 460 or 465gr Power Punch. I forget what Load it was but I do remember I was shooting Pryodex P at the time and the range was at least 75yds if not more.

I think it expanded good enough??

IMG_6624.JPGIMG_6622.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures of a White Power Punch bullet that I recovered from the first buck I shot with my at the time first White ML. At the time my first White was a 504 M97 and I was shooting the 460 or 465gr Power Punch. I forget what Load it was but I do remember I was shooting Pryodex P at the time and the range was at least 75yds if not more.

I think it expanded good enough??

View attachment 8163View attachment 8164
Beautiful.......

Wondering if you all can tell me what is BH and ratios of dental lead, those foils on the XRay negatives? I have collected about 30 lb of ingots from my dentist over the years sadly he went digital a couple years back.

I have tests that go back about 10 years on dental lead. I have a lot of it from my dentist. and I have had guys send me samples.
The dental lead I have is between 11.5 and 12.5 BHN. It is the same as clamp on wheel weight. Two samples I received from other guys came out the same hardness.
I do show one sample and I don't know where I got it but it was tested in 2010. My notes say "fresh dental" at 9 to 9.5 BHN.

That leads me to tell guys that don't know about it that alloy will continue to harden. Over the course of a month or more alloy will change.
Where this comes as a problem is a guy like me that will cast 1000 bullets at a time and set them on the shelf. Later he goes back and wants to patch and size his bullets. this kind of thing will happen.

X7nQM6q.jpg

My paper patched lee 500 S&W bullet will behave properly at 6 to 7 BHN. the bullet above was 9 BHN.

My 45 likes the RCBS 11mm bullet a bit harder than my 50 likes.
After finding out that my 50 needed harder bullets I started with the same alloy in the 45. Then added lead shot until I got the load it liked. That hardness was 8.5 to 9 BHN.
I have shot 1 antelope and 8 mule deer with the 45 and so far knock on wood I have never had a tracking job farther than about 40 yards. I have only found one bullet in all that time.
This was a deer that was shot hard quartering away. The shot was real close under 50 yards. The bullet hit the last rib and plowed forward and was found under the skin in the neck.

d1YscTo.jpg

I have tests that go back about 10 years on dental lead. I have a lot of it from my dentist. and I have had guys send me samples.
The dental lead I have is between 11.5 and 12.5 BHN. It is the same as clamp on wheel weight. Two samples I received from other guys came out the same hardness.
I do show one sample and I don't know where I got it but it was tested in 2010. My notes say "fresh dental" at 9 to 9.5 BHN.

That leads me to tell guys that don't know about it that alloy will continue to harden. Over the course of a month or more alloy will change.
Where this comes as a problem is a guy like me that will cast 1000 bullets at a time and set them on the shelf. Later he goes back and wants to patch and size his bullets. this kind of thing will happen.

X7nQM6q.jpg

My paper patched lee 500 S&W bullet will behave properly at 6 to 7 BHN. the bullet above was 9 BHN.

Ron, I remember hearing, or Reading that Dental Lead was HARD, Thinking back it was probably you that Told me that :lewis:

As you know adding hard to soft lead can ruin a batch of soft lead. I made that mistake with dental.

It definitely can! I have 50 pounds or So of ingots out in my Garage that i would LOVE to trade for Pure Lead, They were Pure Lead before i Started Mixing unknown stuff in :) I mixed in about 10 Pounds of BEAT UP Ole Maxi Balls, Turned out the Maxi Balls had been Cast with Wheel Weight Lead, Ruined the WHOLE Batch

With Buffalo Arms Next Door to me, I don’t even bother Mixing Lead/Alloys, i Buy Certified Already done Stuff, MUCH MUCH easier that way. I just wish they would Make something already Made that would Bridge the Gap Between Pure Lead and 40-1, Nothing Wrong with 40-1 at 8.5 BHN, But i feel a Hardness of 6.5 to 7.5 would perform better, at Real Blackpowder Velocities that is

Lewis, I watched your 2 videos again on this particular bullet and remember in the first one you discussed that this bullet was originally intended for your 30-1 LRH barrel but in the video your shooting your 20-1 Rice. I'm curious if you have any results of this bullet in the LRH that you care to share.

Lewis, I watched your 2 videos again on this particular bullet and remember in the first one you discussed that this bullet was originally intended for your 30-1 LRH barrel but in the video your shooting your 20-1 Rice. I'm curious if you have any results of this bullet in the LRH that you care to share.

Saxton, I haven’t had a Chance to get out with my 1:30 Twist Rifles Yet, I have my Original Blued 45 LRH (1:30 Twist) and the New Stainless 45 LRH (1:30 Twist) in the TC Hawken “Silver Elite” Stock. I will be Testing this Bullet in Both of those. I will do the Same Test with them as i did my 1:20 Rice, i will Test the Bullet Cast of Certified PURE Lead, and 20-1 Alloy, To see if the Results are the Same, or Different than in the Rice 1:20 Twist? The Rice DEFINITELY is a 20-1 Alloy Lover with this Particular Bullet, and NOT nearly as Crazy about PURE Lead (i have seen this Same Scenario MANY times) It Will be interesting to see how the 1:30 Twists React to Each Alloy? It is TOUGH to beat an Alloy Bullet on Target, There is a Good Reason That The TOP SHOOTERS IN THE WORLD Choose an Alloyed Bullet

This Particular Bullet is a DREAM to Paper Patch with the Bearing Surface CLEARLY Visible

Last edited:
Back