Renegade Stock Pitch

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkrcpa

Reaction score
I'm thinking about removing the curved buttplate on my TC Hawken and adding a recoil pad in an effort to increase the length of pull. To that end, can someone who has a Renegade measure the pitch angle from the comb and post the results. i figure that is as good a starting point as anything and it beats just winging it.

Thanks

I like it a lot more than the stock hooked butt plate. Idaholewis handled one differently by leaving it uncut and using a leather cover with foam in it. Worth asking him about

That looks great, that is exactly what I want to do.

Ditto! You would think some company would make a recoil pad for the Renegade. Wonder if you took the metal recoil pad off and mailed it to LimbSaver or Pachmyer they could make one or grind one down to fit it? I know you can get the slip on ones, but they take away the looks of the Renegade.

I am not particularly fond of Crescent Butt plates, They are designed to be shot from the Top of the Bicep, NOT tucked in the Shoulder. That’s Cool and all, But I am in to FUNCTIONAL, I could care less about TRADITIONAL. The Crescent Butt Plate on My Brand New in the Box Lyman Great Plains “Hunter” Rifle was so Sharp that it was DANGEROUS, It truly had a Knife edge, I removed the Butt Plate and used my Dremel Tool with Sanding Wheel and Took that RIDICULOUS Sharp edge off, I touched it up with Cold Blue, Lightly Oiled the Butt Plate, Filled the U Shape Crescent With Memory Foam, and installed a Cimmaron Leather Lace up Pad, This is MUCH BETTER For my use/Style of Shooting :lewis:

a4vNEPj.jpg

I did the same to 1 of my TC Hawkens, Even Though the TC Hawken Crescent Butt Plate has never Bothered me, I can do with, or without it
RUji68c.jpg

Here’s a Fella that made a Mistake with the Lyman Great Plains and Punched a Hole in his Shoulder. He obviously wasn’t holding the Rifle just Forward of the Bicep, the way the Crescent Butt Plate was designed to be Shot. For heavy Recoiling Rifles Such as BIG Bullets in a .50 Cal, or .54 Cal, The Lyman Great Plains Crescent Butt Plate is/was a BAD idea
vOeQmEo.jpg

1 look at the Top edge of this Butt Plate and you can see what i mean, and How it Cut the Guy above. This thing is RIDICULOUS, and DANGEROUSLY Sharp, If Playing Traditional, Period Correct is your thing, Then So be it, But this sure isn’t for me!
dJrIVTM.jpg

Good point big bore muzzleloaders are not fired like 3 Position Olympic rifle, they do have them in some states for 4 h shooting sports max load 60 grains.

Not so bad shooting round balls on reasonable loads. But starts to suck a good bit with conicals n 777 imo

Back