So I ordered /paid for a CVA Optima V2 BP pistol today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am talking myself out of it ,don"t need it ,just wanted it but my truck eats gas /FFL is on the other side of where I live /even the shoprite is 40 miles round trip ! To my door works but to patronize a store not so much , I have 8-10 sidelocks and kill stuff with most of them aside from a few target models . See a tradition Vortex on gun broker will ship to my door as long as I don"t live in NYC (I don"t even go there) but like I said I am talking myself out of it /don"t need the grief /Ed

And you do not want that Vortec either.
I know I saw some videos on you tube not impressed just mentioned cause of the different requirements on delivery and maybe it was a mistake even thinking it was a good idea to deal with the vendor with out looking for that disclaimer I never saw .The wife says I"m impulsive and I think she"s wrong (But maybe she is right) Ed

Not sure, but Dec has nothing to do with firearm possession. Only hunting and fishing reqs. You need to understand the NYS penal law.

Most shops will charge a fee of some sort for firearms transfers. It typically covers the background check and processing. Around here, $30 is about the average. Some a little less, some a little more. It doesn't surprise me that they want to ship a muzzy pistol to an ffl in NY state. NY state, and NY city in particular, are a bit wonky as far as their firearm laws are concerned. I know Sportsmans Guide also lists shipping restrictions for black powder pistols and kits going to NY.

There are several businesses out there that will only ship to FFL because they are scared out of their wits to get sued for something or other. I went through this one time and now I ask. If they will only ship to FFL, then I can find it elsewhere or I don't need it!

I buy stuff from Muzzleloaders.com all the time. I purchased my Optima V2 pistol, and my Optima V2 NW edition rifle from them. Being in Oregon I didn’t have to have them shipped to a FFL.

They are a great company to deal with and the customer service is hands down one of the best.If you call them they are very knowledgeable and courteous.

My only complaint even before all the Covid crap going on is they seem to always be out of stock on what I am looking for.

When I bought my Pietta New Army from Cabelas they wouldn’t ship it too me without it going to a FFL. I could pick it up at one of their stores without having to go through the background check process required in Oregon for firearms.
In Oregon their is no requirement for owning or purchasing a firearm if you pass the background check. Even having a conceal carry permit you have to go through the process. Muzzlelloaders do not require a background check to purchase.

I have a friend that like you lives in the state of NewYork, but not in NYC. He tried to purchase a Muzzleloader rifle and Pistol from Cabelas and their policy is the same. They would not ship direct with going through a FFL.

Out of curiosity I looked at a few other online shops that sell Muzzleloaders and they also are requiring shipment through FFL’s now too. Not only to New York but all States.

The FFL fee here varies a bit. The few guns I’ve had shipped over the last decade or so have cost me $25-$50.

Cabelas and Bass Pro are being sued. They sold a black powder revolver to a convicted felon and mailed it to him, he then used it to kill someone. The family of the victim is suing. That’s why they changed their policy on muzzleloaders.

As I wrote before the FFL I used didn’t charge me a dime.
His reasoning was no transfer was needed or possible by state
law. Therefore, no transfer required no paperwork, no entry in his
log and no charge to me. Yes, he is a nice guy.
I found him through gunbroker, 3 miles from my house!
He runs his FFL from his small cable install business office.
If you look on line you‘ll find these small transfer FFLs are everywhere. Maybe you’ll get lucky like I did. That FFL is now my goto guy for transfers and I’ve done 2 since.

Last edited:
After lots of suggestions (helpful) about local /and gun broker FFLs I sat down and started contacting /leaving messages . I found 8 within an hour and 3 days later got one reply ,the good news is it worked out so (she ) sent required documents and my new black powder pistol will get delivered next week and only a 45 min ride each way . I learned to take the time to read all the pages ,not just the part on where to send the money ! Now after reading up on cast bullets it seems most of my 400 + gr molds might be a little ambitious but that could be an excuse to buy another mold . It most often works where I get the mold and then buy the gun . Does anyone shoot black powder and cast bullets , I have OE 1 1/2 2 and 3F and it looks like clean up is not much compared to my side locks and flint guns but maybe I"m the 1st on the block as I have not seen much posted . Thanks for all the useful advice /Ed

After lots of suggestions (helpful) about local /and gun broker FFLs I sat down and started contacting /leaving messages . I found 8 within an hour and 3 days later got one reply ,the good news is it worked out so (she ) sent required documents and my new black powder pistol will get delivered next week and only a 45 min ride each way . I learned to take the time to read all the pages ,not just the part on where to send the money ! Now after reading up on cast bullets it seems most of my 400 + gr molds might be a little ambitious but that could be an excuse to buy another mold . It most often works where I get the mold and then buy the gun . Does anyone shoot black powder and cast bullets , I have OE 1 1/2 2 and 3F and it looks like clean up is not much compared to my side locks and flint guns but maybe I"m the 1st on the block as I have not seen much posted . Thanks for all the useful advice /Ed
I've been shooting Swiss 3f out of my pistol. Tried some different bullets but found my pistol likes those PA conicals.

Got a Leupold M8 2x extended eye relief (used with weaver mount and rail ) coming by the end of next week about the same time the new BP shooter gets here . Ed

I’ve shot Power belts, Thor, and TC maxi hunters out of my Optima pistol. For powder I’ve used the White hot pelllets with the Powerbeats. Pyrodex and TTT FFg for the Thor and Maxi hunters.
Found that for best accuracy 60-70 grains is a good load depending on the projectile you’re using. 50 grains works good with lighter rounds for plinking targets.

I also have run BH with all of the above bullets. You’ll need a BH plug though.

I’ve shot Power belts, Thor, and TC maxi hunters out of my Optima pistol. For powder I’ve used the White hot pelllets with the Powerbeats. Pyrodex and TTT FFg for the Thor and Maxi hunters.
Found that for best accuracy 60-70 grains is a good load depending on the projectile you’re using. 50 grains works good with lighter rounds for plinking targets.

I also have run BH with all of the above bullets. You’ll need a BH plug though.
Thanks for the info, I have GP /Lee REAL and TC molds in case I run out of my collection of already cast examples and starting low on BP charge was planned . I am hoping to find a load that works as the middle of Oct starts our Adirondack muzzle season . If I had gotten smarter sooner I could have had something new to open our early bear season (starts tomorrow), but my .610 RB shooter works pretty good too/Ed

Happy to hear it worked out. They're fun pistols to shoot and hunt with. Personally, I use BH209 in mine but I see no reason why good ole black powder wouldn't do just as well with the right load and yes....clean up is really easy with these pistols.

Just like mine. You’ll love it. Decided on sights yet?

Latest posts

Back