Thompson Center or CVA ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
35Whelan said:
Wow this thread really took off, a little off track from my original question,but a lot of interesting things came out of it. I would have never thought that leaving the ramrod in might affect accuracy.. Almost like leaving the quiver attached to your bow while hunting. Some swear it affects everything from accuracy to arrow speed to noise. and I'm sure it does,but to what extent? I've killed deer with the quiver on and off,but with thought instilled in my mind I try to take it off lately while hunting. But as far as the ramrod, it will stay in while hunting. But that CVA ramrod with the palm saver has to go.. Just plain ugly. Once sighted in how many times I'm I going to reload out in the field? If I do need to reload once or twice,thats what I have a glove for.

After talking to Carlos yesterday, he said to go with a CVA. So since I was leaning that way anyway, I'm 100% certain I'll go with a CVA MR. He assured me that the 25 inch barrel would not decrease accuracy. So the next step will be to find a store that has one in stock and go and see how it feels. Then I'll have to decide on a scope for it... An suggestions would be appreciated. Kinda leaning towards a plain duplex recticle. Thanks again to all that commented. Looking forward to maybe helping someone out in the future with a question which I have some knowledge on.
Rich

Here ya go. Get rid of that "knob" and in its place install a bullet jag. Been using this system for so long, it pre-dates the birthday of many on here ;)

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/prod ... sion-a1335

Scope? Get the highest quality scope you can afford. Look through the choices, check for eye relief. I'm partial to Leupold, next would be Nikon Monarch's.

Good luck.

Underclocked said:
Probably not a big deal with sabots, but what about conicals? Just because you don't use them doesn't mean they aren't used. It's definitely an aid to starting some conicals.

Pete, you don't have a clue as to how funny your comment to me is. :mrgreen:

I got a chuckle out of that, too.

I'm missing my own joke unless you guys are just laughing at me.

That wouldn't be funny, and i'd have to go mountain man on both of you.

Muley Hunter said:
I'm missing my own joke unless you guys are just laughing at me.

That wouldn't be funny, and i'd have to go mountain man on both of you.

I PM'd the punchline to you......it was nothing personal at all!

Sightron sii big sky,Vortex Diamond back,Zeiss conquest, Nikon inline xr,(although a bdc reticle that you don't need to use). All good scopes. The Zeiss probably the best clarity. Lot of good scopes out there. I'm sure others will make more recommendations. Pay attention to eye relief. More is better. I like four inches plus.

Back