Thompson Center or CVA ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

35Whelan

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade from my Thompson Hawkens to a modern inline muzzle loader.. Currently I've narrowed it down to either a Thompson Pro Hunter FX or a CVA Accura V2. So I'd appreciate it, if I could get some pro's and con's about the two. Seem's I read a lot about issues with the CVA's about blow back through the breech plug area. Does this happen with the Thompsons also? Seems over the years that CVA would correct this problem.
Another factor in making my decision is: How much does barrel length affect accuracy in these guns? Thank's in advance for any info...

I've been using encore muzzleloader since 1998 and have 0 problems with them. They are great shooting rifles don't know why so many people knock them.

I've thought highly of TC, but did some research online comparing CVA M-L's. The CVA's seemed to rate very well, above TC from many.

A friend has a Pro-Hunter in 50 cal that he is very happy with. I'm thinking either could satisfy your needs, once set up with effective loads.

If you are considering the Pro Hunter FX, i would suggest you look into buying a Pro Hunter/Encore frame and barrel separately. You will save a little bit of money and have a better rifle than the FX. There a few companies that offer ML barrels for the PH/Encore platform. Some are extremely nice match grade barrels. Bergara even sells a inexpensive ML barrel for them.

Go for the CVA Accura with nitrided barrel. I have shot the Encore and the Accura MR nitrided barrel. The Accura just fit me better. Both are great muzzleloaders, but you get more for you money with the Accura.

Cattledog said:
Go for the CVA Accura with nitrided barrel. I have shot the Encore and the Accura MR nitrided barrel. The Accura just fit me better. Both are great muzzleloaders, but you get more for you money with the Accura.

Do you get a steel frame and better aftermarket support?

For me aftermarket support is a non issue. The FX can't swap barrels. Aftermarket stocks for the FX are avaliable, but by the time your done you could buy two of the CVA.
Steel vs alloy frame again was a non issue for me. TC steel is nothing special imo. I own both blued and ss omega x7's both are prone to rust and pitting unless you are diligent/obsessive in cleaning after each hunt in my area (salt marsh). The CVA nitride barrel is the game changer for me in between the two muzzle loaders. The CVA that I bought for my wife came with scope mount, sling, palm saver and other standard equipment. It was a better deal for me over the FX.
BTW smith & wesson support is a pita if you can get them on the phone. I have not had any experience with CVA support yet.

Interesting question. Which T/C rifle is it that they have to send off for new pins or something because of wiggle in the frame to barrel? Or they get them "customized?" Never could figure out why an expensive rifle needed to be customized. Also with the current state of Smith & Wesson a.k.a. T/C how is their customer service doing? One thing I give to CVA is call their customer service and you get a response.

Both rifles are great rifles. I would get to a store and handle both models if possible. I did handle an Encore which is like the Pro Hunter is it not? I did not like the fit of it. But that's to me. All of us are different.

cayuga said:
Interesting question. Which T/C rifle is it that they have to send off for new pins or something because of wiggle in the frame to barrel? Or they get them "customized?" Never could figure out why an expensive rifle needed to be customized. Also with the current state of Smith & Wesson a.k.a. T/C how is their customer service doing? One thing I give to CVA is call their customer service and you get a response.

Both rifles are great rifles. I would get to a store and handle both models if possible. I did handle an Encore which is like the Pro Hunter is it not? I did not like the fit of it. But that's to me. All of us are different.

Hummmm.... not all Encore platform rifles need a hinge pin replaced. The customizing, if that's what its called, costs $35.00+ shipping. Hardly breaking the bank. If you just want a hunting rifle, then either will do. If you want a rifle you can do something with, well, you can't do much to a CVA.

IMHO T/C is living off past reputation. I have owned, and still own T/C muzzleloaders. I now own only T/C sidelocks, which are no longer made, and a T/C Firehawk inline. I have owned an Encore, and Triumph, which I have since sold. I have a CVA Optima V2 and a CVA Wolf. Both stainless, and very accurate Again IMHO T/C "Weathershield" is cost cutting, measure, not an improvement. For the price and accuracy I am very satisfied with my CVA's.

Hummmm.... not all Encore platform rifles need a hinge pin replaced. The customizing, if that's what its called, costs $35.00+ shipping. Hardly breaking the bank. If you just want a hunting rifle, then either will do. If you want a rifle you can do something with, well, you can't do much to a CVA.

I am not sure if we are talking the same thing. I have no experience with the Encore. But I was reading posts of people complaining of accuracy issues and "loose" hinge pins. That was normally what the "knowing people" used as a reason for the poor accuracy and suggested sending it someone ... I think his name was Mike. And he'd put a new pin in the hinge (is that correct) and that would fix the accuracy issue. I always felt it strange that a $600+ rifle (my area costs) needed anything other then powder and projectile.

As for you can't do much to a CVA ... well that's true. When I got my Optima I was shocked at its simplicity and accuracy. And there was really nothing else to do with it other then a good scope. But you're probably right. If I wanted extreme accuracy the Encore might be the better choice. But what's your opinion on the Accura? Just curious.

cayuga said:

I am not sure if we are talking the same thing. I have no experience with the Encore. But I was reading posts of people complaining of accuracy issues and "loose" hinge pins. That was normally what the "knowing people" used as a reason for the poor accuracy and suggested sending it someone ... I think his name was Mike. And he'd put a new pin in the hinge (is that correct) and that would fix the accuracy issue. I always felt it strange that a $600+ rifle (my area costs) needed anything other then powder and projectile.

As for you can't do much to a CVA ... well that's true. When I got my Optima I was shocked at its simplicity and accuracy. And there was really nothing else to do with it other then a good scope. But you're probably right. If I wanted extreme accuracy the Encore might be the better choice. But what's your opinion on the Accura? Just curious.

There may be some differences in opinions on accuracy and that's totally understandable. Some are happy with hitting a pie plate, while others aren't happy unless they put bullet on top of bullet. Accuracy to some means shots taken at 100yds, where others are striving for the tightest possible groups at 200yds and/or beyond. I think everyone can agree, some expectations differ....

I've owned many Encores and Pro Hunters, I'm pretty used to them by now. Just not shooting them any more.
There was no "sending" of a rifle to Mike Bellm. Mike makes and carries all the precision and custom parts that can be used on the platform. What shooters did, was to order the larger pins (1x or 2x) from Mike. Mike knows more about the Encore rifle platform than any other person in North America, even those at T/C who created it. Mike tried since the day the Encore was first produced, to get T/C to tighten up that hinge and it fell on deaf ears, but........

Regardless what people may think, even the slightest engineering change costs a ton of money to a business. It causes excess and costly paperwork and engineering part number changes. Now all that may seem a little trivial, but to a business its far from trivial. Just a part change, where a part costs $6.00, and you're building 15,000 rifles that the change is a $90,000 part change. The engineering costs, part number changes, packaging etc. doesn't even count in that figure. Then on top that, "What do with do with 50,000 under sized hinge pins?"

ALL........ break open rifles, unless locked up tight at the hinge can have accuracy problems and its extremely noticeable at long range. Regardless of make. If you remember, I brought this forward a few years back, when shooting 200yd groups with elevations everyone else dismissed. I was actually the first person using muzzleloaders to bring up the issues related to break open rifles and long range (>100yd) consistent accuracy. I went so far as to having a math professor involved in calculations. I was the first to bring it to Mike's attention with muzzleloaders. CF shooters have recognized it since break open rifles hit the market. A .001" of movement at the hinge, will throw a bullet off...... take a guess at 200yds??

Now granted, most muzzleloader shooters who buy a shrink wrapped rifle, are not looking for extreme accuracy, even at 100yds. Heck, most are happy to hit an 8" pie plate at that range. Even most Encore platform shooters. However, there are some that want the absolute best that can be obtained from their rifles. These are the shooters who started fitting their hinge pins. Others read and/or heard about what some were doing, so now all of a sudden they had to do the same to their rifles. And to be honest, a high percentage of those who followed with the changes, might not have been a top shot in the first place. (I mean no offense to anyone). Even if a shooter was to make the most changes to his/her frame, the cost is about the same as a package of propellant. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you want hunting accuracy and MOA of deer at 100yds or less, then nothing is needed for any rifle, short of load/bullet development. If you want to make a rifle feel like a different rifle and are looking to achieve extreme accuracy, then for about $35.00 you can do that easily with an Encore platform rifle. The FX is a different animal.

What's my opinion of the Accura? If its the Accura and not the V2, then I'll give you my honest opinion. I had a guy stop by one day, hand me two boxes, one a rifle and the other a scope and asked me to set it up for him. He owns an excavation business and was busy as heck. So I set up his Accura. The second I took it out of the box, it felt like a tinker toy and a cheap piece of plastic. I honestly couldn't believe he'd purchased the rifle. I cleaned it all up, mounted his scope, and then shot the rifle using BH after the flash hole was drilled. Enough to burn up a package of bullets. Now it shot decent at 100yds. I was able to get it to group well, not to my expectations, but very well. Regardless, there was a distinct difference in feel between it an either of the Encore rifles I had. I may be calling someone's baby ugly but, it felt cheap.
To that specific rifle's credit, the owner has killed everything he's shot at with it to date. Now granted, because of his work, he doesn't get to hunt often but, he's taken a couple whitetail with the rifle at ranges to 100yds.

Yes, things have changed. We all know S&W bought T/C. Are things the same when S&W didn't own T/C? Nope. But I've had a lot of Encore platform rifles and all of them gave me the extreme accuracy at distance that I personally expected. I would have no problem what so ever going back to the Encore platform rifles. I would not want, nor do I care for the cheap feel of CVA rifles, regardless of their 100yd abilities. IMO the only real rifle that they make is the Apex. But that's not a shrink wrapped rifle from CVA either.

Opinions expressed are my own. Others may have a completely different opinion. Let's respect each others opinions, right or wrong ;)

Again... Thank's guy's...... A lot of great info. It's all appreciated. Muzzle loader's are like bow's, everyone has their own opinion. If you were to go on an archery forum 99% of the members would say Matthew's or Hoyt.. But it's still great to hear others opinions... Keep um coming...

Again... Thank's guy's...... A lot of great info. It's all appreciated. Muzzle loader's are like bow's, everyone has their own opinion. If you were to go on an archery forum 99% of the members would say Matthew's or Hoyt.. But it's still great to hear others opinions... Keep um coming...

I like TC, but mine are all pre S&W. I still have them. The few CVA's I had I dont have anymore. Given away or sold. BUT even the TC's dont really get used anymore

I started muzzleloading with TC Hawken about 4000 B.C. :mrgreen: . I've owned a bunch of different TC models over the years, including a few Encores. Only one of the Encore rifles I had was not a problem child. I did put a Bellm trigger spring and oversized hinge pin in it but it would have been adequate without either. The others were basically nightmares - all sorts of issues including horrible triggers, loose actions, off-center QLA, and one even had a washboard barrel. I would never recommend an Encore over a CVA Accura V2 and most definitely not over an Apex. I've only owned a couple of each but all had great triggers and shot very well - right out of the box.

I'll be the first to say the Accura V1 was an ugly rifle. That gooseneck pistol grip section on the stock just ruined the looks, IMHO. However, the two I've shot (owned one of them) both fired great and with excellent accuracy. I currently own one Apex and one Accura MR and believe them to be among the finest inlines available. I can think of no other I would prefer to own. I also own one White Ultra Mag model that won't be going anywhere. It's in a different class but also a superb rifle.

I own NO TC or Knights.

It's all about personal choice. My only wish for another rifle would be for CVA to make an Accura MR and an Apex with a .451 land to land and .457/.458 groove to groove with a 1:20 twist Bergara barrel. The .45 caliber barrels they do make seem to be a little oversized and have a slower twist rate.

Underclocked.... The stock of the Accura pistol grip is one thing I dislike. But then again the Thompson is similar. Therefore I was leaning towards the CVA Accura MR which has a sleeker design. My question is with a 25 inch barrel is the MR a 175-200 yd deer gun. And we are talking hitting a deers vitals at 200 yds and not clover leafing a target.. Seems like there are a lot of CVA fans here...

I did a lot of research on this and the shorter barrel if anything is a touch more accurate. What you lose is muzzle velocity, but from what I found the difference is so slight between the V2 and MR as to not have any significant bearing on accuracy differences between the two rifles.

I've never owned a T/C inline and the only CVA inline I've ever owned in an Accura V2 with the nitride finish and thumb hole stock, so I will not even try to compare the two. However, I will give you my honest opinion on the CVA. It is a very well constructed rifle, with high quality fit and finish, which is reasonable light and well balanced. It feels quite comfortable to me when I shoulder it but the LOP is a bit long which is most noticeable when wearing heavy cold weather hunting clothes. The barrel of mine is stainless steel and nitride treated, both of which are certainly not necessary, but do add value, IMO. The tool-less breech plug works as advertised and I find the rifle very easy to clean. The adjustable trigger breaks crisp and clean, with no creep, and is as good, or better, than any trigger on any rifle I have shot.

The CVA does require a replacement BH 209 breech plug, or a modified stock breech plug, to reliably shoot BH 209, which does add to the final cost($25-$40) of the rifle. Excessive blow back was never a real issue with my rifle. I don't believe the blow back is any worse than any other bare primer ignition and can be easily adjusted for whichever primers one uses by using an o-ring or shimming the firing pin bushing. The rifle is superbly accurate and easily capable of 1 hole groups at 100 yds, which I shoot consistently with mine. It also seems to be pretty tolerant of different sabot and bullet combinations, as I have so far come up with 6 different combinations that shoot very well for me.

In the 2 years I have owned the rifle, I have never had the need to contact CVA's customer service for any issue with it, although I did contact them this year about my son's Optima V2, which was just purchased this last fall. While cleaning it, we noticed a small crack on the underside of the forearm. It was not enough to structurally compromise the forearm, but it was a crack, nonetheless. I emailed CVA's customer service about it and received a reply in about 24 hrs. The representative simply said he was ordering a new forearm for it and about 1 week later, I received it. Since that was my only dealing with customer service I do not know whether that was the norm, or not, but I was happily satisfied with that response. By the way, the Optima V2 shoots every bit as well as the Accura V2. Again, I can't compare the CVA to a T/C, but IMO, the Accura V2 is an excellent rifle easily worth the purchase price.

The CVA's are very accurate at long range. When I see someone saying they aren't I have to raise an eyebrow. Carlos is an ex-sniper, so he'll get everything out of a gun. Probably much more than the average hunter can do. I've seen way to many range reports from him to doubt the long range accuracy of CVA's. Very tight groups out to 300yds.

Latest posts

Back