What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was at the lease today cleaning' up sticks and such, weedeatin' and thinkin' about how much hate having to go to the WMA shooting range to get range time, so....

I made this little shootin' range next to the cabin, across the creek, dog-leg right past the shithouse and an hour of my time on a weed eater and chain saw and I got a place to shoot I have to share with no one!
any trout in the creek?

This morning I swapped the stainless bushing to carbide bushing in Marks plug, also made a flash hole tool. 243 brass with the drill bit epoxied in. Puts it perfectly to twist easy. Packed the case to the top of shoulder with cleaning patches kneaded the epoxy together packed it in and set drill bit. Works great..
Clever. I'll bet if you made these with different sized drill bits and sold them as a kit, or individually, they might generate interest

I put a new scope & DNZ mount on my Accura V2 this morning. I just got them yesterday.
The scope brings some high end features to a very modest priced scope. It did add some weight to the gun, but not an excessive amount. I love the amount of FOV it has & the IR reticle as well as the zero stop/locking turrets.
Athlon killed it on this scope.
really nice set-up you got there, same one used to get the buck last fall?

It rained to day so I had some time in my shop. I shortened the barrel on my H&R stub job in .458 from 22 1/2 to 18 inches. It came in at 32" oa. Very handy in a treestand.
I bought my H&R/NEF 12 gauge back in the 90s. It has a very thick walled barrel (10 ga blank, I was told) and locks up like a vault. With Lightfield slugs it made perfectly round holes and the accuracy at 150 yards was astounding for a slugger. Then the sabot movement began and I went to Hornady SSTs and stretched my range to 200, where filling a pie tin is no problem. The stock is scarred, but the barrel bore and mechanics are pristine.
lol

Lucky you. My better half has removed any of my "thinking" when she settles on a job she thinks I need to do.
remember,.. they like to be called "the wifer"

went to a farm sale last saturday and bought a large box of hunting stuff for 5 bucks. Had turkey decoys, calls and ground blind and stuff. In the bottom of the box was as smaller box with haz mat sticker on it. Inside was five pounds of the 1980 GOEX 3fg unopened. Just goes to show it pays to wait to the end of the sale. Had tons of other misc stuff rope and old pup tent tent spikes. I think that is why no one dug through it score for me

really nice set-up you got there, same one used to get the buck last fall?
TY. Yes, its the same Accura V2 I shot the nice buck with. It had a Bushnell Elite 3500 4-12 on it. Nuthin wrong with that scope at all, I simply wanted a lower power ( 2x-3x ) & wider FOV than what it had. I put the Meopta on it & would have kept it on it but the reticle was too small, too thin for me to see in any kind of lower light. I'm sure that for someone younger, with better eyesight, it is not a problem. This scope checks all the boxes I could ever want on this gun & then some.

went to a farm sale last saturday and bought a large box of hunting stuff for 5 bucks. Had turkey decoys, calls and ground blind and stuff. In the bottom of the box was as smaller box with haz mat sticker on it. Inside was five pounds of the 1980 GOEX 3fg unopened. Just goes to show it pays to wait to the end of the sale. Had tons of other misc stuff rope and old pup tent tent spikes. I think that is why no one dug through it score for me
WOW! Damn nice score.

I consider 450 yd about my limit with a 270 to 275 grain bullet in a smokeless load and by the way I'm shooting the 270 grain pinpoint and 62 grains of IMR 4198 but just getting my bearings at the 425 distance with this bullet and load have not shot passed 100 yards in a couple months 425 yards looks like a mile

I consider 450 yd about my limit with a 270 to 275 grain bullet in a smokeless load and by the way I'm shooting the 270 grain pinpoint and 62 grains of IMR 4198 but just getting my bearings at the 425 distance with this bullet and load have not shot passed 100 yards in a couple months 425 yards looks like a mile
Cool brother, I am glad to see you gettin to stretch that range out a lil bit now. You're right, after shooting a bunch of 50, 100, 200yds, 400+ looks like a mile.
I got the first 250yds of my range cut today. It needed it badly. I got a cpl pine trees down on the range, one fell right on my 50yd target. I got to get the tractor fired up tomorrow morn & get them off the range. I got a friend coming over in the afternoon to do some shooting. Anonymouscoward called today & invited me fishing tomorrow, but when I told him my plans, he might join us.
I think I'll bring the gong up to 300yds & see if I can put some .40 200gr XTP's in LBCR's on it at that distance. I haven't ever shot the gun past 200yds. Hitting the gong at that distance was a breeze with the Accura. Who knows, when I get the new scope dialed in I might see about putting some rounds on the gong at 400 too. I have no ideer what my friends are bringing to play with. I'm sure we'll have a blast. Post your 425yd targets bro. I know you'll enjoy shooting at that range.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back