What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I cast a bunch of bullets and balls. .443" for paper patched, .45 Maxis, .451 I-bullets, .490 rb and .350 rbs.
Today I cast some .54 Maxis and cleaned up the 3 new to me rifles. A 45 tc hawken, 36 tc Seneca and .50 Lyman GPR. Also switched a tc Hawken from percussion to flintlock and had to do some inletting to fit the lock. I still have a tiny gap and will need to do a bit more wood removal.

It's a beautiful morning and good morning to everyone I hope you all have a great Memorial Day holiday and thanks to all of you who have given service to America ,,,walk down and took a picture and measured yesterday getting on target at 4:25 the first group of three on the lower left is about 3 inches I think I'll post a picture I clicked my scope to the right one click and up a click shot two more they're an inch and a half apart, I went ahead and moved my scope more so that the next time I should be fairly close to the orange dot a little easier to take pictures that way this pinpoint is holding MOA out to 425 actually less than Moa again I wouldn't push it much further but pretty accurate bullet from northern precision.

Attachments

• 20230528_081434.jpg
    20230528_081434.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230528_081516.jpg
    20230528_081516.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
It's a beautiful morning and good morning to everyone I hope you all have a great Memorial Day holiday and thanks to all of you who have given service to America ,,,walk down and took a picture and measured yesterday getting on target at 4:25 the first group of three on the lower left is about 3 inches I think I'll post a picture I clicked my scope to the right one click and up a click shot two more they're an inch and a half apart, I went ahead and moved my scope more so that the next time I should be fairly close to the orange dot a little easier to take pictures that way this pinpoint is holding MOA out to 425 actually less than Moa again I wouldn't push it much further but pretty accurate bullet from northern precision.
Nice shooting bro. Thats plenty good enough to hunt with at that range.

The bonded version I think would be okay out to 450,, this bullet wouldn't be my first choice for target shooting tight groups on paper at 450,, still pretty good performer and I know the bonded version shoots the same ,,I've shot it beside the tip version a lot. I will eventually get around to shooting a deer with the pinpoint un bonded to see what happens I'll try to put that pointed tip through a shoulder bone I know behind the shoulder it might just needle thru. Going to try to shoot those 275 40 cal Fury this coming week out to 425 yards in the 18 twist Krieger Barrel I'm curious what that plastic load is going to do with that bullet.

Yesterday actually.
Had the blues, so I visited my favorite Den of Iniquity and spotted a .50 Renegade flintlock with the most GORGEOUS wood.
I'm talking T/C Silver Elite/ Hawken Cougar level.
Bore was dusty, but looked good. Later discovered some nastiness right at the ball seat.
Drat.
But! I have another barrel...
Switched it up, put an aperture sight on it and toddled off to the range.
My go to load, .45 caliber XTP 250 grain in a Harvester Crush rib sabot over 70 grains of 3f Swiss Holy Black.
Largest 3 shot group at 50 yards was 1&1/8th. That was my fault...
The others were between 5/8ths and 3/4s.
DAAAANG...
I'll try to post pics, but the factory finish makes it tough. The walnut is rather blond.
I now have:
1 inline. .50 caliber.
3 percussion side hammers. .50,.54 and .577
3 flintlocks. All .50
Double DAAAANG. Promiscuous things!

First time out with the Pursuit since the brake installation.
Had to resight in because of scope removal. Not a bad showing, most definitely easier on the shoulder, but after getting closed in at 50yds. I put up this 4 shot spread at 100. Not to shabby, needs some more work but we'll get there.
70 grains T7 2f with a .502 Fury 320 grain star tip. Think next weekend I'll up the charge to 75g. and see if that tightens it up any.

Attachments

• IMG_20230529_160934245.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
First time out with the Pursuit since the brake installation.
Had to resight in because of scope removal. Not a bad showing, most definitely easier on the shoulder, but after getting closed in at 50yds. I put up this 4 shot spread at 100. Not to shabby, needs some more work but we'll get there.
70 grains T7 2f with a .502 Fury 320 grain star tip. Think next weekend I'll up the charge to 75g. and see if that tightens it up any.
And the other 2 spots are from a previous outing, call me frugal but I'll spot 'em up til there's nothin' left to spot.

Well I got to shoot the Brux Omega Sunday morning early and it was 48 degrees ran the standard loads I know that work. The 200 sst which is crazy accurate then I sized some 250 FTX bullets they shot at 1 inch group for 4 shots then I shot some 225 grain FTX and they shot great as the do out of my scout conversion they were all touching. So this evening I decided to try some Barnes 250 T-EX. Didn’t want to readjust my sizing die and they about fell down the barrel. Literally a 2 finger push, but it did this.. Crazy stuff. I will pursue this a little more. Side note I probably put 40 rounds through it after going to carbide bushing. I cleaned the plug and all is good. Very happy to have one of Marks barrels!!

Attachments

• 2EB90AD7-28B4-4596-9330-AE8CA16A245F.jpeg
    2EB90AD7-28B4-4596-9330-AE8CA16A245F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Added some textured grip panels to the plastic stock of the Optima I got from one of members here and mounted and bore sighted the replacement scope I received from Bushnell . I cant say enough about the C/S of Bushnell, I posted a while back I returned a 10 year old DOA 250 scope and they replaced it no questions asked.. I wasnt completely happy with the replacement and was told send it back and they upgraded the scope to the next level, Fantastic company Bushnell.

Added some textured grip panels to the plastic stock of the Optima I got from one of members here and mounted and bore sighted the replacement scope I received from Bushnell . I cant say enough about the C/S of Bushnell, I posted a while back I returned a 10 year old DOA 250 scope and they replaced it no questions asked.. I wasnt completely happy with the replacement and was told send it back and they upgraded the scope to the next level, Fantastic company Bushnell.
Their scopes are a bit big and bulky, but ive always been pretty happy with every Bushnell scope ive had. Got any pics of the grip panels you added?

I have been emailing back and forth with Bear Creek Ballistics about bullets. I'm digging their .356 140gr HV bullet for my CVA Scout 357 Max pistol.

Even blind hogs find acorns every once in a while!
I’ve been looking for the ”nut” to fix the rear sight on the new to me laminate stock hawken, and it’s become obvious I‘ll have to buy an entire sight and rob the part off it. On EBay, TC rear sights have been listed at $80 to over $100, but I just happen to look again and found one for $18 shipped.:dance2:
As a follow up to this post, the local USPS delivered the package to the wrong address on May 11, and after 3 trips to the post office to see if they could tell me where it was “actually” delivered, I finally talked to the people that have my sight and will be picking it up tomorrow. I was more than a little aggravated when I went back to the PO today, and I texted my wife before going in to keep her phone close incase I needed bail money.

Their scopes are a bit big and bulky, but ive always been pretty happy with every Bushnell scope ive had. Got any pics of the grip panels you added?
IMG_2198.jpeg

Last edited:
Back