What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to shoot well. I just picked a starting load based on pressure traces. Clocked one shot at 2180 fps - so not real fast - but the sabots look very happy.

View attachment 31976
You gonna bump the grains on up to see how it does?
Aint nuthin wrong with that El D. Thats right where mv MV is in my Accura with 220gr .40 bullets in the same sabots with BH 209. The recoil is not bad at all, the accuracy is moa or better & at that velcity they - to use a term I recently heard coined in here " snot clobbered " the daylights out of every deer I've shot with them. Theres no need for anything more inside 200yds.
I totally agree.

Yes, looks like I could go up a little and still keep it under 40k. What charge would/do you use with 225 gr bullet LBA?

View attachment 31986

With 225gr bullets, I went up to 35gr of N110. The accuracy was there from the start. I was using a Maine wool wad between sabot and powder. I don't how much more I could have went up, probably a few more grains before sabot failure. I figured I was getting around 2300 - 2400 but that was a guess. I was trying different bullets at the time. I tried Bluedot in the beginning but settled on N110. When I settled on N110, my load components always been the same, just swapping out bullets and adjusting charge to evaluate.

I weighed out some more powder charges and ordered some bullets for the smokeless realm I hope to enter soon for real. Got anoyher blast of winter coming starting tomorrow. Next week hopefully.

I've developed a serious dislike for anything white that lays on the lawn.

I cleaned up a couple of guns I shot a lot the last couple of days I'm having some scope issues and both Scopes have been on multiple rifles Centerfire and heavy recoil Muzzleloader so very happy with both of them the last two years I have been rough on scopes

Today i cleaned the .54 Fire Hawk rifle. Yesterday i fired that rifle at 78 yards:

Decided to try the Harvester .451 330 grain hard cast bullets in that rifle. Sabot was the red Harvester. Powder charge was 80 grains of Black MZ, cap was Remington #11. The bullets went all over the cardboard backer. The sabots were found at the 40 yard line.

Swabbed the bore and loaded .530 patched round ball over store bought patches lubed with boot dressing. Powder load was again 80 grains of Black MZ. The first two balls went through one hole in the bullseye. The third went high at 11 o'clock due to operator error.

Attachments

• DSC02681.JPG
    DSC02681.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
I weighed out some more powder charges and ordered some bullets for the smokeless realm I hope to enter soon for real. Got anoyher blast of winter coming starting tomorrow. Next week hopefully.

I've developed a serious dislike for anything white that lays on the lawn.
Me to MrTom, once deer season is over with I have absolutely no use for winter. But I ain't lookin' forward to August either!

Back