What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Testing 10 ga. loads from Pedersoli cap double as follows #1 settled on Chuckar load 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 shot , one thin 10 ga. overshot card , Rem sp-12 (yes sp-12) cut-off cushion to make flat bottom shot cup w/ 2 wraps masking tape to slightly close wad fingers , 2 thick 10 ga. over powder cards , 60 gr. T7 3fffg + 20 gr. 4ffffg Goex Booster , CCI Musket cap on musket nipples (makes for easier handling of caps in field ) Chrono'd 1180 fps low - 1228 high 3 shots , and the 20 and 30 yard results on pattern board from right cylinder bore barrel 15" Diameter @ 20 yds and 26"Diameter @ 30 yds which is as good or better n Full choke at same distances !

Yesterday I have a friend on has a t/c fx 209x50 muzzleloader.It had a 28''barrel which he fiund too heavy and cumberson to use in a tree stand or ground blind.He did not want to pay $60.00-$75.00 at a gn smith to shorten the barrel.I sowed him the tutorial on the forum and on you tube how to shorten the barrel.He asked if I could do it and I told him I never did,but I had the tools if he wanted to do it.He saked me to do it so I said ok.He wanted it to be 25'' long.I measured the distance,wrapped the barrel with some tape,and with a plumpers cutting tool I scored the barrel.Took a fine tooth hack saw blade and slowly cut off the barrel.I took a fine tooth hand file and tried to smooth off the top.I told him we needed to put a crownon it but I had no abrasive material.But I did have a brassed head screw and prematex anti-seize.So he said go ahead and try it.I did put the bolt in my drill ,put the anti-seize on both the screw and the barrel.After each try I took some 0000 steel wool and putit on the screw at went at it tht way.After about 20 minutes of this,I wiped it down and showed him the final finish.He was overwhelmed at how it looked,needless to say how that made me feel.He gave me $40.00 and said a big thank you.I guess an old dog can learn new tricks if he just takes his time and be patience.Now if I need to I can do my own muzzleloaders.

In all my years o have never takin' interest in long distance shooting just for the simple reason that I'm not going to shoot prey at 300 yds. so why bother.
Well to make a long story short friend of mine tells me he's got a 250 yd. range on his property. We go down there and set up (and by my range finder it's 238 yds. but who's countin') and these were my first 5 shots ever at that distance. The 5th round is the one in the 10 ring, I told my friend it was more of a Hail Mary!IMG_20230604_133204678_PORTRAIT.jpg

The nice looking Northern Precision 325 to test I'm sure he can do these in a 3/4 Bond just looking at the construction of the bullet I would think that 5/8 to 3/4 Bond jacket on the back of that chunk of lead how to make this bullet a pretty good performer on game we may have to get somebody to do a test of the bonded version. It has more of the overall profile of his 270 pinpoint those of you that have shot it it's really short for a 325 grain bullet if I'm comparing it to a Pitman or Fury Etc it may even do good in a 20 twist being shorter. We'll give a report on the accuracy but I'm confident it's going to shoot well. I will be testing in the 18 twist assortment I have

Attachments

• 20230606_141536.jpg
    20230606_141536.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 0
The nice looking Northern Precision 325 to test I'm sure he can do these in a 3/4 Bond just looking at the construction of the bullet I would think that 5/8 to 3/4 Bond jacket on the back of that chunk of lead how to make this bullet a pretty good performer on game we may have to get somebody to do a test of the bonded version. It has more of the overall profile of his 270 pinpoint those of you that have shot it it's really short for a 325 grain bullet if I'm comparing it to a Pitman or Fury Etc it may even do good in a 20 twist being shorter. We'll give a report on the accuracy but I'm confident it's going to shoot well. I will be testing in the 18 twist assortment I have
Nice lookin bullets there. I'm lookin forward to seeing how they shoot

Latest posts

Back