What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be weighing out fresh powder charges for the Patriot and the Optima pistol today, then putting together the six bullets/sabots in long tubes for each gun. Primers go into silicone carriers and extras in a tube. Headlamp got the fresh batteries yesterday. Right now it looks like a blizzard outside. Blowing snow and 30-35 mph winds. We got maybe an inch and a half on the grass and sidewalks but its supposed to warm into the 40s starting tomorrow so I'll leave it there for the guy that put it there to remove.

I’m leaving Thursday evening to hunt at my place in Oklahoma, and though I’m not sure whether I’ll hunt with a muzzleloader or crossbow, I rechecked the zero on the Omega and laminate stocked Hawken this morning.
I already have an archery license and am just not sure if I want to spend another $300 for a muzzleloader license just to hunt this weekend.

I had been planning on deer hunting today since last wk from watching the 7 day local weather app. It was supposed to drop temps to 48 low & mid 60's for a daytime high.
Wellll it didn't say nuthin about no 26mph winds out of the north annnnnd it didn't get that cold either. Its sayin 53* even with the wind blowin like that. I was outside for a lil test feel in shorts & teeshirt at 4am & I knew my hunting was done for today. Theres always tomorrow right.
Where I hunt is all directly south of walkin out the back door, where any deer will come from is south of me. When the wind is out of the north ( which it is 95% of the time here ) it blows whatever scent I emmit directly into my hunting area way before I even get there & I'm not tryin to hunt over 20' up an 8" pine tree in no 26mph winds either. So its coffee & apple strudel bread with cream cheese while couch hunting this morn. Not a terrible " plan B " I guess.

My season begins tomorrow so today I've busied myself with getting everything together... you know.... making a list and checking it twice. The van is packed so all I need do in the morning is pop the teeth and ears in while the coffee is brewing. Pour my mug and hit the road. Seems nuts to be hunting. We had 45 degrees today and the weekend temps are supposed to be closer to 50. Damn, shoot a deer and have to get right home, wash it out, hang and skin it and either pack it with ice or lop and chop. I really like my deer to hang a couple days but not this season I guess.

Got the Patriot along for the opening day. The Optima pistol is rarin to go too should I tag one tomorrow.

My season begins tomorrow so today I've busied myself with getting everything together... you know.... making a list and checking it twice. The van is packed so all I need do in the morning is pop the teeth and ears in while the coffee is brewing. Pour my mug and hit the road. Seems nuts to be hunting. We had 45 degrees today and the weekend temps are supposed to be closer to 50. Damn, shoot a deer and have to get right home, wash it out, hang and skin it and either pack it with ice or lop and chop. I really like my deer to hang a couple days but not this season I guess.

Got the Patriot along for the opening day. The Optima pistol is rarin to go too should I tag one tomorrow.
Good luck, be safe and shoot straight, I love letting the deer hang too, if not ill pop the meat in the cooler for about 5 days keep the blood drained off and plenty of ice covering it.

Good luck. Hope you take deer with both. 👍

Good luck. Hope you take deer with both. 👍
One doe down with the Patriot. Nephew tapped a nice 9 point. At it again solo tomorrow morning. Full on rut going here. Just about every doe has a buck on her butt. Except the one I got. I think we say 30 deer today and probably that many on the road home tonight.

It’s muzzleloader season in Oklahoma, and I‘ve still been hunting with my crossbow. However, I bought my daughter a ML license since her target buck has been coming in at a location not suitable for a two person bow stand. We saw 5 does and 2 bucks this evening but not the right buck. We’re going to give it another try in the morning.
I’m really hoping she gets to draw first blood with the new to me Omega.
IMG_0133.jpeg

Latest posts

Back