Woodman Arms - Patriot 45cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There was another thread about this beautiful weapon that sadly got sidetracked and was rightfully shut down by the moderators. I think it deserves discussion - so I ask everyone to please keep scope of discussion to the weapon itself.

I personally thought well enough about it to order one for myself a couple weeks ago. It’s got a couple months lead time but I’ll be glad to wait for it.

Last edited:
I would like to ask first question here that might relate to the Patriot. I heard that IMR4198 smokeless powder might be a problem in cold weather conditions. Does it it not ignite with the Patriot’s 209 primer, or is issue typical temperature variability that I see in other IMR powders?

Last edited:
H4198 is much , much better to ignite in cold weather.

I will certainly order H4198 if I ever find it. Right now I have the IMR4198, A5744, and some Reloader-7. I was just curious whether IMR is workable if I develop muzzleloader loads in typical hunting temperatures in similar way I develop for my centerfire loads.

Addendum- Since I wrote above sentences my research indicates problem is IMR4198 will indeed not ignite in cold weather. Thank you for pointing me in right direction.

Very Dumb Question.. Would duplexing with the 5744 help ignite the IMR4198?

Last edited:
Years ago when I had my Savage I shot 63 grains of reloader 7 with 250 caliber bullet After selling it I had a Remington 700 ML with a brux barrel 1-20 twist. Weather here in Delaware never gets that cold and I would shoot 60 grains of IMR 4198 with a 200 grain bullet and light blue sabot I also duplexed a load for the same rifle 5 grains of IMR 4759 and 55 grains of IMR 4198 IMR 4759 is no longer available I have shot both IMR and Hodgins I have seen no real difference As I remember some used reloader 7 as a duplex load I am not familiar with the patriot but I would be very careful with smokeless powder in a black powder gun does it say on the gun also smokeless powder or black powder only? Seems I heard someone say light loads God please be careful Good Luck

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies.
I wouldn’t try duplexing anything without seeing a pressure trace - so maybe that was a very dumb question.. So unless I learn differently it looks like I have Reloader-7 for cold weather and IMR4198 for warm weather

P.S.- I’m more interested in accurate loads rather than hot loads

Last edited:
I have no experience with muzzleloaders yet so that’s why I’m asking the dumb questions. But I do have experience with handloading my centerfire rifles so hopefully I can learn fast.

So.. Next question is do you guys do “Satterlee” speed tests with chrony to find best node?

Thank you, Encore50a! That’s a really nice spreadsheet. I’d be exploring consistency in your 90.5-92.0 range…. But I am sure that particular load is way too hot for me - I want to keep mine under 40Kpsi.

Thank you, Encore50a! That’s a really nice spreadsheet. I’d be exploring consistency in your 90.5-92.0 range…. But I am sure that particular load is way too hot for me - I want to keep mine under 40Kpsi.
Thanks. Actually I'm not using the second node. I settled on 88.2 and its extremely accurate.

NOTE: THIS LOAD IS SAFE IN MY RIFLE. DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION.

This one just boggles me up. I settled on 88.5 which is accurate. However for some reason I really like the 8208 over Benchmark.

1st Satterlee test with Benchmark.JPG

I had similar happen when testing Staball powder in my 6.5CM. I carry some pre-measured powder in test tubes so I remade the outliers on site with arbor press and Wilson die. Second string looked more trackable but never figured out what went wrong in first test string

I had similar happen when testing Staball powder in my 6.5CM. I carry some pre-measured powder in test tubes so I remade the outliers on site with arbor press and Wilson die. Second string looked more trackable but never figured out what went wrong in first test string
Maybe sometime this summer I'll run that over again. I can change the appearance of the graph and make it look better ;)

I cannot hunt with smokeless in Utah, so most of my use will be with BH209. But I love that you get the versatility to use smokeless too. I’ll probably try it out at some point so I intend to get the adjustable plug as well.

Latest posts

Back