Woodman Arms - Patriot 45cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best i can explain the adjustable breechplug is. 1. To try and get 100% no leakage with any 209 primer you have. In this mixed up world we cannot order any kind of primer we choose. So Mr.Woodman devised a way to make his breechplugs vary in length, that way what ever kind of primer you use you can adjust the plug to get 100% no blow back, which is leaking around the primer, which is an accuracy stealing problem. We call this headspacing the primer with the breechplug. That is the best i can do, maybe someone else can chime in here if needed.

Regarding the adjustable breech plug, I think the tungsten bushing might also be important for handling the additional pressure from smokeless powder. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on that because I’m still trying to research that myself

Regarding the adjustable breech plug, I think the tungsten bushing might also be important for handling the additional pressure from smokeless powder. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on that because I’m still trying to research that myself
There is that too, but it also allows you to replace the bushing should it get eroded from the act of firing it many times. Then there is also the option to try different size openings to also help in finding the right combo for more accuracy. At least that is my understanding of how these work.

The best i can explain the adjustable breechplug is. 1. To try and get 100% no leakage with any 209 primer you have. In this mixed up world we cannot order any kind of primer we choose. So Mr.Woodman devised a way to make his breechplugs vary in length, that way what ever kind of primer you use you can adjust the plug to get 100% no blow back, which is leaking around the primer, which is an accuracy stealing problem. We call this headspacing the primer with the breechplug. That is the best i can do, maybe someone else can chime in here if needed.
Sounds like one that my chum designed way back for setting up headspace with out recutting the barrel/breechplug. It had an insert which could be screwed in or out of the breech plug till the correct distance was achieved to seal the primer.
Once the correct distance was determined the insert was loctited into the plug.
As for the carbide bushing, they just last longer.
WbDPyXK.jpg

Next question..
I saw that Mr Woodman recommends loads less than 45 kpsi for the Patriot rifle. Does anyone have any pet loads for 45cal?
I plan to try both sabot and smooth sized full bore bullets.
As usual, I would conservatively back off any recommended load and work up as I monitor with my Magnetospeed chrony.

P.S. One load that I have is 62grains Reloader-7 with 40cal saboted 250grain Fury startip.

Last edited:
I also have 0.452” 275grain Fury StarTip2 on hand with smooth sizing die. Any recommendations for Reloader-7 or IMR-4198?
I hope I can also find H4198 but no luck on that yet.

I was told you can not use smokeless in the 50 cal patriot.So please make sure you get all the info on shooting smokeless from Mark for the 45 cal that is supposedly rated for smokeless.Ask any members on here that has one what they are shooting in the 45 Patriot.In the Marines we were taught that the only dumb question is the one you don,t ask.Why is the 45 rated for smokeless powder?

We added the adjustable breech plug manual, link below. There are some parts/configurations nobody has seen for different pressures. The website will be updated with them shortly.
Pics below are a Rem STS primer from the "Low pressure" configuration, fired with 84 gr by weight BH209 and 250 Fury star tip/Harvester crush rib.

https://www.woodmanarms.com/assets/manuals/Adjustable_Breech_Plug_Manual.pdf

Attachments

• 20220208_054659.jpg
    20220208_054659.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220208_054724.jpg
    20220208_054724.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 10
I also have 0.452” 275grain Fury StarTip2 on hand with smooth sizing die. Any recommendations for Reloader-7 or IMR-4198?
I hope I can also find H4198 but no luck on that yet.
I think I saw 4198 online at MidwayUSA yesterday and available at Powder Valley- probably already sold out.

We added the adjustable breech plug manual, link below. There are some parts/configurations nobody has seen for different pressures. The website will be updated with them shortly.
Pics below are a Rem STS primer from the "Low pressure" configuration, fired with 84 gr by weight BH209 and 250 Fury star tip/Harvester crush rib.

https://www.woodmanarms.com/assets/manuals/Adjustable_Breech_Plug_Manual.pdf
So if I am reading this correct, there are 3 different primer pocket (pieces), as well as 3 different spacer/carbide bushings available. One configuration for each pressure category.

When I buy the adjustable plug from your website, do I get all three configurations?

So if I am reading this correct, there are 3 different primer pocket (pieces), as well as 3 different spacer/carbide bushings available. One configuration for each pressure category.

When I buy the adjustable plug from your website, do I get all three configurations?
Almost, The low and medium pressure spacer is the same. I am going to have all the parts on the website so they can be purchased individually. The way it is now, you get the high pressure version which has the carbide bushing.

I’d like to know which twist I I should buy on the patriot .45 the 1:18 or 1:24 they say the 18 is better long range so is there a negative to the 18? If not why choose the 1:24?

I’d like to know which twist I I should buy on the patriot .45 the 1:18 or 1:24 they say the 18 is better long range so is there a negative to the 18? If not why choose the 1:24?
Maybe @ 500 yds but 1-24 sounds reasonable I have a couple of 18 twist and 1-17 but they are target to 800 yds with a
$1000.00 in sights , I don't think that's where your going with a patriot/Ed

Latest posts

Back