Woodman Arms - Patriot 45cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d like to know which twist I I should buy on the patriot .45 the 1:18 or 1:24 they say the 18 is better long range so is there a negative to the 18? If not why choose the 1:24?
IF.............. you plan on any SML, then go with the 1:18. I'd choose the 1:18 over the 1:24 any day, even if I only shot BH.

I agree with encore,, the 18 will let you shoot lighter bullets much easier than the 24 will let you shoot heavier,, if you're looking to shoot the lightest bullet possible in a sabot the 24 would be better. The 18 is just more versatile

I think the 1-18 or 1-20 twists will be better for longer bullets (which would happen to be heavier). I opted to order the 20 twist - I’ll certainly share experience when I get it

The perfect twist topic is interesting to me,, if we define what would be the most efficient, most energy on target ,most multi-purpose bullet that we can shoot in a 45 Cal muzzle loader for the public to just buy off the shelf, not pouring big lead just bullets that we can purchase to shoot, to me that bullet has become a 240 grain and 250 grain 40 cal bullet in a light blue sabot,, the 180 to 225 grain bullets are certainly enough for any whitetail however the 240 and 250 I think give my muzzleloader the potential for elk and mule deer and a little bit more energy down range for hunting purposes to me that is important. Lot of bullets downrange the last few years I find the 18 and the 20 twist handle the 240s and 50s much better. I've been able to get a couple of rifles to shoot consistent half inch groups, some days better,, everything I've shot in the hog and deer department has just been flattened.

It will be strictly for hunting mainly deer so is there any down side to the 1:18 over the 1:24? It’s going to be my first muzzleloader and want to make the right decision the website said the 1:18 is for more experienced shooters which isn’t me I just want the most accurate without getting in over my head

It will be strictly for hunting mainly deer so is there any down side to the 1:18 over the 1:24? It’s going to be my first muzzleloader and want to make the right decision the website said the 1:18 is for more experienced shooters which isn’t me I just want the most accurate without getting in over my head
No. The 18 twist will be much better than the 24 twist. It will stabilize lighter weight bullets and also longer heavier bullets.

Example:

Screenshot 2022-02-10 174722.jpg

Do you happen to know what the pressure is with this powder and bullet combo? Also, wondering how low can you safely go?
Actually I do not know the pressure. The charge range was given to me by the builder. The charge I use is on the lower end of the Satterlee chart and is a very safe charge in my rifle.

We added the adjustable breech plug manual, link below. There are some parts/configurations nobody has seen for different pressures. The website will be updated with them shortly.
Pics below are a Rem STS primer from the "Low pressure" configuration, fired with 84 gr by weight BH209 and 250 Fury star tip/Harvester crush rib.

https://www.woodmanarms.com/assets/manuals/Adjustable_Breech_Plug_Manual.pdf
Thanks for sharing that link . I'll look at it later because I'm not exactly smart phone literate about opening files .

And much thanks to the folks discussing the different twist .

Latest posts

Back