weight x volume....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deldeerhunter

Reaction score
being as i do not have a scale, i was wondering if someone could tell me, if i measure out 80gr.,90gr.,100gr. by volume what the actual weight would be for each???? pyrodex & 777, not sure which one i will be using......thanks...will be shooting 245gr.spitfires.......

deldeerhunter said:
being as i do not have a scale, i was wondering if someone could tell me, if i measure out 80gr.,90gr.,100gr. by volume what the actual weight would be for each???? pyrodex & 777, not sure which one i will be using......thanks...will be shooting 245gr.spitfires.......

80grns of 777 by volume is 61.3 grns by weight.

90grns of 777 by volume is 68.6 grns by weight

100grns of 777 by volume is 75.7 grns by weight.

deldeerhunter said:

If you don't have a scale, how could it possibly matter? :roll:

All volumetric powder measures are not the same, and Pyrodex and T 7 certainly are not.

There is no exact weight to volume conversion. All Hodgdon loading are given by volume.

Grouse said:
deldeerhunter said:

90grns of 777 by volume is 68.6 grns by weight

I'd have to check the first two, but my volume measure throws 100 gr FFG 777 by volume 80 gr by weight. My results indicate that its 20% less than the volume scale. I guess that means that every volume measure is slightly different.

I've no idea on Pyrodex, but I played with 777 some. Every measure and technique will produce different results. The important thing is to use the same measure and the same technique. My own tests come real close to the ones listed:
90grns of 777 by volume is 68.6 grns by weight.
(I was using the fairly common black powder mesure with a slide adjustment)

I've wondered if Hodgdon's measure and technique may have produced 77.7 grains by wt in a 100 grain volume measure.

RandyWakeman said:
deldeerhunter said:

If you don't have a scale, how could it possibly matter? :roll:

All volumetric powder measures are not the same, and Pyrodex and T 7 certainly are not.

There is no exact weight to volume conversion. All Hodgdon loading are given by volume.
it matters because i was asking.....you hear so much about grain volume, & grain weight....i wanted to know, how much of a difference there was??? thats all...

deldeerhunter, Ask any question you like. We will get the answer for you. As you can see my results are the same as others. I'm glad it helped you out. :)

Grouse said:
deldeerhunter, Ask any question you like. We will get the answer for you. As you can see my results are the same as others. I'm glad it helped you out. :)
thank you....

it matters because i was asking.....you hear so much about grain volume, & grain weight....i wanted to know, how much of a difference there was??? thats all...

It remains one of the (many) areas that leave muzzleloading hunters working in the dark ages. There are no common standards for "volumetric" black powder measures, so they vary.

It is not that volumetric measuring is deficient; any reloading press with powder bushings is obviously dropping by volume, not weight. Volumetric grains mean very little on a blackpowder measure.

Even common household measures have equivalents to cc's or milliliters: one drop = 1/20th ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml. We seem to bake cakes with more precision than we load our muzzleloaders.

It is a mess. Here is what Ian McMurchy found as representative, all 100 gr. by "volume":

Goex FFg = 101.3

Goex FFFg = 101.6

Pyrodex Select = 63.9

Pyrodex RS = 72.5

Pyrodex P = 73.0

Pyrodex Pellets = 74.2

Arco (old Black Mag) = 94.7

Clean Shot = 85.1

Quick Shots = 65.3

My pet load for the Disc Elite is 110 gr. 777 ffg by volume and 80 gr. by weight.

I know it's 110 gr. but there it is for comparisons sake. :)

My powder measures must have the biggest grains. :shock: It's more likely though that my measuring methods are to blame.

Latest posts

Back