250grn SST'S dirt cheap.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Speer Gold Dots have been described as a "poor-mans Nosler" and at for the price listed, they are only .39 cents a bullet, and you certainly can't beat their game-killing performance! :D

I have used the 250 and 300gr Gold Dot for several years, Sabot loader got me started on them. I have taken 6 deer and several hogs with them all the deer and most of the hogs {250 gr] were bang flops I messed up on a running shot on one of the hogs I took and hit a little further back than normal, I had a good blood trail and after waiting a half hour I tracked the boar about 60 yds and found him dead. I have tried the 300gr on several hogs they are very good on penetration and they expand well but not as fast as the 250 gr. I use the 250 gr now for every thing up to 400 pounds if I expect to get some thing over 400 I use the 300 gr GD.
They may call them the poor mans Nosler but I consider the 250gr GD more effective for Bang flops than the Noslers or the all copper like the Barnes when it comes to deer as I do not take the front end or back end shots if you are going to take marginal shots the 300 or Nosler is better. Lee

Lee

Thanks for the real life, here is how they work on game, recommendation...

I have been thinking of trying the GD's out in the off-season to see how they group.

Now I have no reason not to give them a try...

What sabot do you prefer with them?

Cleboje

I would like to know which sabot to get also. For a 50 cal. Accura. To use the 250 gr. GD. Thanks

I use the Harvester Crush rib with the Triumph the Omega likes the MMP HPH24 and the System One likes the MMP 12.
I try as many sabots as fit good and use the one that groups best, I often use different sabots with different bullets. When I first started with sabot guns there were not any choices now that there are you can make most bullets shoot good in most guns by using the right sabot but the only sure way to find out which one is trial and error. Lee

Grouse,

Can you elaborate a bit on your experiences with these? Where were these deer hit? What speed were you shooting them at? And do you think this bullet did not expand properly? Many are of the opinion that the "old" 250g SST is an explosive bullet at the higher end smokeless speeds (2500 fps +). If the new flex tip bullet does not expand as violently as the old SST it might be a more viable option to shoot at faster speeds.

Grouse said:
ronlaughlin said:
Grouse said:
Buy some and let us know. :)

Hope to have a report in about 11 months.

How about a range report first? maybe a week from now? :)

Well, was up in the hills today, and tried some of them Gold Dot. There was some breeze, and it was about 45*. The load was 105g BH209, Winchester primers, and super glide sabots since i didn't have any crush ribs left. Distance was 79 yards and the rifle is an Omega with a peep sight. Shooting was done with one elbow on the arm rest and the other on the steering wheel.

golddot.jpg

Back