At what Range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typical10

Reaction score
At what range would you expect a 300 grain XTP, pushed by 43grains 5744 to start expanding? Here are two pics of the bullet pulled out of a 275# whitetail, thru the shoulder and lodged in the far leg.Range,50 yards.
bullets013.jpg

bullets014.jpg

jeff035.jpg

Look like you could shoot that one again. That's why I use the SST. :) But the buck is still dead so he could care less if it expanded or not. :wink:

yikes! I bet that 300XTP hit the deer at 1900 FPS or close to it!!! Never seen anything like it

dwhunter said:
Look like you could shoot that one again.

You think it would expand the second time? :wink:

Typical10,
It does look like it's oblong instead of round (unless that's your camera). :wink:

Wierd. I've heard of Barnes MZ's doing that occasionally. But if you found the bullet, you found the deer. So although the bullet did not have textbook performance, it still worked. I wouldn't worry about a freak occurance.

Nice animal by the way. :D

Is the bullet a 300XTP or a 300XTP/MAG? I shot 2 deer with the latter but believe the 300XTP would have been much better. The MAG versions have a # that ends in "5" whereas the non-MAG version ends in "0". Hornady says to use the mag versions on large game and the non-MAG versions on White-tail deer,etc. .

Isn't that the 45230 .452 XTP 300gr NON-Mag? The bullet shown has two cannelures, the 45235 .452 XTP 300gr MAG has only one.

big6x6 said:
Isn't that the 45230 .452 XTP 300gr NON-Mag? The bullet shown has two cannelures, the 45235 .452 XTP 300gr MAG has only one.

Chuck, all that from just a pic? You really missed your calling in MZ forensics! :lol: :D

Your very right Chuck! I'm thinking the 300 XTP might be to tough to expand as well as it could on thin skinned animals, unless there is bone to start the expansion! I'll probally use the 300 Hydra con in Mo. in November.
Jeff!!

That is really odd! I have a 250 gr. XTP that was dug out of a cedar fence rail pile. The load was 46gr. of 4227, range was about 25yds. The bullet looks great; classic mushroom shape and weighed 227 gr. Usually if a bullet is not going to expand it will be in a situation like this, where it is shot in to a dry medium. I would have thought that a bullet used on game would expand more quickly. Very Strange indeed!

Swamphunter

45 gr. 5744 pushing a 300 XTP have expanded well out of the 10ML-II, resulting in clean one-shot kills ranging from "Paco's" 3 ft. shot to Staten Harding's 430 yard doe kill this year.

The perils of one-incident reporting. You might not expect a 460 gr. pure lead White Powerpunch to not expand well on a hog @ 11 yards-- but, I was there when it happened.

I had a picture of the 300grn XTP i shot my Pig with in Crossville. I cant seem to find it. Anyway, there was great expansion with 44grns of 5744. The distance was 10yds or so. :lol:

I agree about a one time incident, just surprised by the non-expansion. I thought I missed him, with litteraly no reaction to the hit. However, I will still hunt with them. It hasn't been a month since I used the same bullet on a mulie that performed flawlesly with a 10% mass loss. It's always interesting to see the unusual, know what I mean Vern? :wink:

T10,
REAL nice buck!! Looks like a w-i-d-e 8pt. Those are my fav when mounted in full sneak :D
Congrats on a fine corn fed Iowa deer.
SW deer look alot like SE deer. Amazing isn't it that in 1927 there was'nt one wild deer left in Iowa. Shot to extinction.... then the game raised whitetails on the Singmaster farm at Keota Iowa, just 14 miles from my farm, got loose and made their way to the skunk river bottom and the rest is history. Just goes to show, Iowa can manage a deer herd! In fact many states are currently looking at Iowa and her management practices in hopes of finding a better management program for their state. A point of intrest: Iowa, unlike so many states does not allow gun hunting during the rut. Smart :wink:

typical10 said:
I thought I missed him, with litteraly no reaction to the hit.

Well, just keep "missing them" like that and you'll be just fine. :lol:

wow i was starting to get worried :shock: lol my load is 44.0 5744 season here is in 2 weeks, for a second i was thinking if i has to i could go to 42.0 N110 and a 250xtp , dang it guys quit scaring me before All Hallows Eve :twisted: good luck,shoot straight,be safe!
Dave :twisted:

That bullet was designed to reliably with only hot .45 Long Colt velocities. That's a MUZZLE velocity of only 1200 to 1300fps or so. THAT bullet, when fired at at MV of around 1900fps from a Savage 10ML-II should expand from 1 yard to beyond 300yds. In this case the bullet simply failed to expand when it should have. This can happen with any hollow point bullet, especially those with minimal exposed lead, from time to time and is usually a result of something, usually hair/hide, filling up the hollow point. This isn't really THAT much of an issue with a bullet that is a .452 diameter to begin with.

Good looking buck you have there Jeff. I knew I should have stayed down there for the last couple of days.

For any of you that question the volatiltiy of 5744, that shot was on the 8th day of the hunt, only taking out the primer at the end of the day. Two of the days were in wet conditions, only putting a piece of duct tape over the end of the barrel. How much trust do you carry in your powder of choice :?:
J/H!

Latest posts

Back