Best product and method for lead removal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I have some pretty heavy build up of lead in one of my rifles. Curious what most use to deal with lead build up. I usually just use Hoppe's No. 9 to clean or Eezox to clean/protect but think I might need something more specific for the lead. I used almost a whole packet of some old saturated "lead remover" patches that were still coming out black. I picked up some Hoppe's Elite 'cause it said on the label good for lead but have not tried it yet. So what works best? Cowboy Blend? Brake cleaner? And what's your method?

I use Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber and a good new brush. It seems to work for me. I never tried that stuff Grouse uses, but if he uses it, I would bet it works great!

Kroil or turpentine , also works with using a new brush with patch wrapped around it. JB bore cleaner works also.

Lead removed ?

I don't know about lead removal never had the problem.But I have always use what I call moose milk,
Equal parts rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide Murphy's oil soap, mix it together in a big wine jug loosely leave the cap it might build a little pressure? Also I use it for patch lube cleans the barrel after every shot, during loading when I shot competition but if used just for cleaning make sure you use oil afterwards or it will rust quickly.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Kroil has worked well for me I just let it set for two day but run a patch every day of kroil and run a brush then start over it will come out but it works slow. I've used it on 22 cal guns and you will see a lot of lead come out of the bore like 500 rounds or more.

a1smokepole said:
Kroil has worked well for me I just let it set for two day but run a patch every day of kroil and run a brush then start over it will come out but it works slow. I've used it on 22 cal guns and you will see a lot of lead come out of the bore like 500 rounds or more.
Actually my problem is with my .22, I can't seem to find a round that shoots well out of it, I think maybe I have some long term lead build up.

Thanks for all the replies. :yeah:

Back