Bore rider bullet sizing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My question is can a .458 diameter copper clad bullet be sized through a smooth sizing die down .004 down to .454? I have a CVA Paramount that I'm wanting to use bore rider bullets in it. I'd rather size down a larger bullet than knurl up an undersize bullet. I have some Fury .453 STB bullets and they slide right to the breech plug. This is the bullet I'm thinking of sizing down. 45 Caliber .458 Diameter 325 Grain FTX Flex Tip 50 Count

My question is can a .458 diameter copper clad bullet be sized through a smooth sizing die down .004 down to .454? I have a CVA Paramount that I'm wanting to use bore rider bullets in it. I'd rather size down a larger bullet than knurl up an undersize bullet. I have some Fury .453 STB bullets and they slide right to the breech plug. This is the bullet I'm thinking of sizing down. 45 Caliber .458 Diameter 325 Grain FTX Flex Tip 50 Count
Thats purdy wild that the .453 STB's fall right down your bore. Mine, on a warm Fl day the .453 STB's fit my Paramount like they were made for each other. When temps dropped to the 40's then the bullets need to be .4525 for the same fit. IDK id .458's can be sized down .004. If ya have an adj sizing die, open that up as far as it goes & run a bullet through it with Imperial sizing wax. Try running them through a cpl times with slight tightening on the die until you reach .454. Its what I'd try if it were me dealin with that. I think that knurling the .453 up a hair would be much easier IMHO.

Thats purdy wild that the .453 STB's fall right down your bore. Mine, on a warm Fl day the .453 STB's fit my Paramount like they were made for each other. When temps dropped to the 40's then the bullets need to be .4525 for the same fit. IDK id .458's can be sized down .004. If ya have an adj sizing die, open that up as far as it goes & run a bullet through it with Imperial sizing wax. Try running them through a cpl times with slight tightening on the die until you reach .454. Its what I'd try if it were me dealin with that. I think that knurling the .453 up a hair would be much easier IMHO.
Yeah...it surprised me too. I talked to Dennis on the phone before I bought them an he said most Paramounts do well with them. Not mine. F*cling CVA and their damned oversize bore...just so they can sell more of their ELR's. Not this kid. I'll figure it out. Thx

Last edited:
I'm also looking at alternatives to the ELR for deer hunting in my Paramount so I thought this subject to be interesting. I think by the lack of response to your question, most don't think its a good idea to size a FTX down that much. I would think it might damage the copper jacket and result in bullet separation when it hits anything (like deer bone), and could also cause concentricity problems that would degrade accuracy. I could be totally wrong, and If you do downsize them, I would be very interested in seeing your test results, both on paper and on multiple deer.

As an alternative, because I don't want to eat any more lead fragments, I'm looking at the monolithic copper, either the Hornady Monoflex, made entirely of gilding metal at .452 (obviously without it's sabot), or the Barnes Spitfire TEZ, 290 grain, .451, knurled up. My bore is definitely not like your bore. Mine is closer to .4520 than .4525 or .453 near the muzzle, then there's a tight spot for a few inches, then the sized Fury 265STB's slide to the breech plug with little or no resistance. I might get good fit with the Monoflex right out of the package. I haven't bought or tested them yet. With Blackhorn so unavailable, I'm reluctant to do too much shooting.

I called Hodgdon yesterday to see of they could tell me when they're getting another shipment of Blackhorn and their phones were so busy I couldn't do anything but leave a voicemail message. I expect a callback today. Two weeks ago I called General Dynamics, the Canadian company that manufactures Blackhorn, to discuss availability. I spoke to a guy that didn't know too much, but he did give me the name and email address of the Program Manager for Commercial Sales. He should be the guy that Hodgdon deals directly with. My email to him is unanswered.

Some of my best luck was using knurled up bullets. The base size would be a too easy to load. Then knurl up about 2-3 thousandths over land size. Never had a "hammer down" this way and most of the time they shot well. This allowed for sizing on a clean bore and still not too tight for a fouled bore unless it was really dirty. Normally not a issue with BH209 or SML powders.

I'd rather size down a larger bullet than knurl up an undersize bullet.

Here, a wood rasp is used to knurl too small bullets without trying to do a perfect job, and make them all the same. Just roll the bullets on a board with the rasp few times; then run them through the die; they all come out the same.

dino: could you give a photo or a site for your knurling equipment?

Stay with the Fury Bullets and have Dennis knurl them for you. It’s one of the very few bullets that will keep it size if you ever have to size down. Not to mention performance wise it’s hard to beat. Dennis makes great stuff and does a great job.

Greg

I've sized Remington 405gr. .458 bullets down to .451 with no issues. I have some Lee dies and an adjustable die for the last sizing. My understanding is that the Fury bullets are pure lead with a fairly thin copper jacket. I don't think you'd have any trouble. I tried knurling with files, and it just didn't seem very consistent to me. Try the knurling first, and if that works, you're good to go.

That Bore sure sounds out of Spec. Have you contacted CVA about a Replacement barrel? I had a SS Savage 10ML-II that was .504”+ & Savage replaced it.
I agree with the others those Hornady bullets are Extremely Hard to size & don’t seem to shoot well without a Sabot.

That Bore sure sounds out of Spec. Have you contacted CVA about a Replacement barrel? I had a SS Savage 10ML-II that was .504”+ & Savage replaced it.
I agree with the others those Hornady bullets are Extremely Hard to size & don’t seem to shoot well without a Sabot.
No I haven't. If it had tight and loose spots I would but it seems to be pretty uniform top to bottom. It's just overbore which I and many like me believe is intentional on CVA's part. I've not gotten good accuracy knurling up the STB's as well as some Harvester Scorpion bullets that knurled up well. So I'm going the route of sizing overbore down to fit. I do that with my 50cal. Accura V2 Prairie Rifle shooting the Fury 320gr Star Tip 2P and the results are fantastic...both accuracy and terminally. I shot a 6 point with the PR @108 yards and he fell like being hit with a truck. Season is closed for this year and I'm getting over a bout of Rona so no shooting till it warms up. If I can't get this thing to shoot then I'm dealing it off.

Latest posts

Back