Chrono’d My Muzzleloader Today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTGrad

Reaction score
300 grain PB Aerolite
100 grains volume BH209
25” CVA Accura MR
Sub MOA 100 yards.

Attachments

• EE2F39D8-DB02-4DB2-BF93-66F883EDDEF4.png
    EE2F39D8-DB02-4DB2-BF93-66F883EDDEF4.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
And because I gathered my ballistic data and entered it into my Hornady app, I dialed the turret on my Leupold VX5 HD 2-10x42 to 7.0 MOA at 200 yards and shot this group. Might get a chance to dial in on a buck hitting the cornfield this season

Attachments

• E4390D50-1290-4390-8FCD-43DE3AAA841C.jpeg
    E4390D50-1290-4390-8FCD-43DE3AAA841C.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 16
I know the PB Aerolite gets a bad rap but it’s design is perfect for long range expansion at lower velocities.

Note trivia - Power Factor = FPS x bullet weight divided by 1000.

Better to sight in for mpbr than jack around with a scope setting for that short of range.

Thats one heck of a rainbow to be holding under and over for with a 300 grain PB. I like the 100 yard zero and hold over until it gets off the animal and then I can dial.

Thats one heck of a rainbow to be holding under and over for with a 300 grain PB. I like the 100 yard zero and hold over until it gets off the animal and then I can dial.
I think your responding to someone with little or no experience with correct use of scopes /just sayin Ed

MPBR... I do use MPBR part. For my ML rifles I use a PBR that puts the bullet near 3" high at 100 and for the most part depending on the bullet I will be about 3" low at 175/80 yards. I am a hunter not a target shooter and with the information I gain from shooting the bullet to 200 yard plus the use of a scope with a ballistic reticule dialing really isn't necessary, especially with the hunting bullets I choose to use.

This might show/explain more about what I am indicating.

Lehigh-452x265-CFHP-R225-6-in.jpg

You can see at 200 yards I am down 4.24 inches and at 225 I still have enough energy to harvest an elk but I am down 8+". Buy, with the Ballistic Reticule in my scope shooting 225 or longer is possible.

Last edited:
I think your responding to someone with little or no experience with correct use of scopes /just sayin Ed
And you appear to no actual field experience on harvesting game.

3.5” high at 100 with that load puts you 3.5” low at 175 with that combo/velocity. Beyond that it starts dropping like a rock and drops below 1000 ft lbs of energy.

MPBR... I really do not use the M part of that acronym, but... I do use the PBR part. For my ML rifles I use a PBR that puts the bullet near 3" high at 100 and for the most part depending on the bullet I will be about 3" low at 175/80 yards. I am a hunter not a target shooter and with the information I gain from shooting the bullet to 200 yard plus the use of a scope with a ballistic reticule dialing really isn't necessary, especially with the hunting bullets I choose to use.

This might show/explain more about what I am indicating.

Lehigh-452x265-CFHP-R225-6-in.jpg

You can see at 200 yards I am down 4.24 inches and at 225 I still have enough energy to harvest an elk but I am down 8+". Buy, with the Ballistic Reticule in my scope shooting 225 or longer is possible.
to me it is easier to dial the scope then guess work is done

45-70, are you hunting or shooting competitively? Were I shooting for $ or really long distance with a heavy lead projectile - I too would adjust the scope with target knobs for what is/was needed. In fact in the old days when I was shooting PRB's in competition I used a Lyman 57 SML peep on my Renegades with ranges set for different distances. The 57 allows you to push a button and move the sight freely. It really was handy!

And you appear to no actual field experience on harvesting game.

3.5” high at 100 with that load puts you 3.5” low at 175 with that combo/velocity. Beyond that it starts dropping like a rock and drops below 1000 ft lbs of energy.
I wasn"t gonna but yup I have probably killed more deer /bear/caribou and squirrel /rabbit with a recurve (bare bow)than most , likely you too /just sayin Ed

Back